Author Topic: "THAT SINKING FEELING"  (Read 15541 times)

WarrenKinney01

"THAT SINKING FEELING"
« on: November 25, 2007, 09:48:09 AM »
Is it just me, or is anyone else concerned about this "going nowhere fast" on version 18 fixes. This morning I received an Email from shopimsi.com. They were trying to sell me TurboCAD 14 I think. A nice product I am certain.

That being said, I have been using DesignCAD for around 15 years, and learning curves are not my strong point at this time. I am starting to wonder if IMSI is planning on supporting DesignCAD into the future.

Warren

The Scud

Re: "THAT SINKING FEELING"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:27:46 AM »
Warren, There are a number of people working on DesignCad by all accounts fixing some of the issues that we have with 18.0, so I guess we will have to wait a little. But I can say with what we have, we are better off than what we got with version 16. Now that we have the 'Troll' back things will happen with DC, he oly needs a goat a week to stay happy, but with that payment, things get done.

As for getting mail from 'shopimsi.com' I certainly have not got any, but I did get an email from IMSI with TC and TurboFloor plan being offered at a discount rate - perhaps the same one? Sometimes the left hand does not know what the right is doing, but also, I did 'tick' to send me details of specials etc etc.

As for support to DC, it is getting done here on this forum or are you thinking that DC will be phased out in favour of TC?
BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Intel HD Graphics 4000 NVidia GeForce GT 740M
Desktop AMD A8 R7 64 bit Win 10 with Quadro K620

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:45:31 AM »

We can't predict the future, but all indications we have so far (being one of the Beta Testers)  are that IMSI has every INTENTION to keep working on design cad, albeit due to the low prices for software these days, they will not be spending as much as we would like on development, and the bug-fixes are slow in coming.

Hopefully not going too far beyond our non-disclosure agreement - we have seen an early test version of 18.1 that fixes MANY of the outstanding issues.  We're hoping it will be good enough to release soon.

Ongoing development in the future depends, I'm sure, on how many people buy the product.
User since Pro-design

robhosailor

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »
We can't predict the future /cut/...

You are right, ...but, tell to the truth, a "flag product" of IMSI is ... TurboCAD...

(I've just obtained 30% discount proposal of TurboCAD De Luxe too)  ::)

TurboCAD is probably similar in most of CAD features but renderings made by TurboCAD are better ...and today it is under 100$...

I expect ...than TurboCAD will most promote in future and will replace DesignCAD.  >:(

I like DesignCAD (my old DOS versions 2D i 3D)  :)
:-) Robert

Rob S

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 06:57:37 PM »

I've never used turbo-cad, but have heard the following:

- it is much harder to draw with - commands are more like autocad, no "." gravity snap, etc??

- more setup to get going??

- there is no basic-cad macro language??

- even more bugs than DCAD??

Anyone who has used both could chime in here with some facts!!!
User since Pro-design

The Scud

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 07:45:35 PM »
Yeah Rob, I too use TC14 Pro and it does take a bit of getting ones head round. Once you have got it set up as to what you want, it quick to get going. The key functions are editable and one I am doing all the time.

I'll get back to you with more details.

One thing, the TC forum is a pain, you HAVE to register even just to go have a look at topics posted.
BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Intel HD Graphics 4000 NVidia GeForce GT 740M
Desktop AMD A8 R7 64 bit Win 10 with Quadro K620

support

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 10:16:21 AM »
TurboCAD will not replace DesignCAD. The two programs are being developed in such a way to compliment each other. The reason you are getting pounded by sales for TurboCAD is that it is IMSI Designs flag ship program and when you buy DesignCAD we are hoping you will also like us enough to buy TurboCAD. You don't have to buy it but the added support of the company would be nice.

IMSI Design has every intention of making, selling, and supporting DesignCAD for as long as you guys will be here to buy the program and use it. I do not know how many times I have had to say this over the 12 years I have worked for DesignCAD, thru the 6 different company changes I have been a part of with this program but DesignCAD will endure and go on. This program has been around for 20 years or more now and it is not going away. DesignCAD has world wide distribution and resale, the thousands of DesignCAD users out there upgrade each new version...do you honestly think that IMSI Design will throw away an established customer base like that? If so then I can tell you that you are wrong.

Rob S

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »

Thanks, Gerry 

I hope you placed all that on your clipboard, so you can just paste it in for future replies and save re-typing  ;D
User since Pro-design

robhosailor

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 02:06:31 PM »
TurboCAD will not replace DesignCAD.

That is a good news!  :)

DesignCAD has world wide distribution and resale, the thousands of DesignCAD users out there upgrade each new version...do you honestly think that IMSI Design will throw away an established customer base like that? If so then I can tell you that you are wrong.

Hmmm...... In Poland current version of DesignCAD 3D MAX 17.2 PL is more expensive than 18 US version from IMSI www download  :(  ....plus VAT (...in result it's more two times expensive...)  it's not good marketing strategy I think so :'(

[OT](Can I buy Design CAD from IMSI directly?) ;)

Rob S

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »

If you have a way to feed $US into their website (Credit Card) you should be able to purchase the current 18.0 English download version.  They probably won't ship the boxed version to Poland.

18.0 is waiting for 18.1 soon for some dimension issues to be fixed.  17.2 was very good - I don't know if you can still get that online.

I'm not sure "whose nose would be out of joint" (who would be upset or unhappy) if you do.

User since Pro-design

robhosailor

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 03:15:22 PM »
If you have a way to feed $US into their website (Credit Card) you should be able to purchase the current 18.0 English download version.

Thanks Rob,

I haven't it yet (but my friends have).

They probably won't ship the boxed version to Poland.

Polish version is made in Poland by Polish distributor I think so.

I will wait for 18.1 version :)

robhosailor

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 03:11:07 AM »
Polish version is made in Poland by Polish distributor I think so.

Polish version of menu, help files etc. of course! :)

herbertjackson

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 06:42:16 PM »
OK  I have to put my two cents in.
At one time DesignCad advertised that it was easier and better then AutoCAD, and I think it is.
I also get E-mail for TuboCad. My biggest complaint  is that I never see DesignCad in any store (a few times I seen Estimator and Shed) Tubocad is everywhere.  How does IMS sell design cad to new users.

Rob S

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 07:12:19 PM »

I gotta wonder that too. 

A first rate CAD program for under $100 on store shelves should be a good seller.

IMSI writes great marketing stuff, but it's not worth S..t unless people see it.
User since Pro-design

dcadRob

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 08:51:02 PM »
Stores need to move hundreds of copies of a product.  The lower the price, the more boxes need to go out the door. Only a few stores in large cities would be able to stock CAD sw profitably.

Designcad has an installed base and IMSI can make a few minimal improvements and sell upgrades each year. When the profits from that dry up, they will shutdown DC and offer an upgrade to Turbocad.

They can obviously make more profit by concentrating on their Turbocad line. Why dilute the brand by marketing Designcad? Why would they split the advertising budget, the programming resources?