Author Topic: Dimensioning a 3D sketch  (Read 121 times)

adriank

Dimensioning a 3D sketch
« on: September 09, 2019, 06:20:58 AM »
I'm having big trouble trying to add dimensions to a 3D sketch I've done for a corner-seat in a swimming pool.
I can only view the detail from a specific angle so that the angles on the seat are clear to see, and then when I try to add dimensions most of them display backwards.
When I use the 'flip' option in the info box it flips them vertically, not horizontally, so they then display backwards and upside down.
Currently my only solution is to save a 2-d projection then manually delete every dimension and re-type it - but then it does not display in '3D' which is not ideal.

Am I missing something obvious?

Adrian

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Dimensioning a 3D sketch
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 07:12:39 AM »
Are you possibly viewing the object from the back, as compared to how the drawing was started?

I am not at my computer, but there must be a way to reverse the direction of the axis?
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:47:11 AM »
Hi Rob,
Thanks for responding. You had a good point, I can rotate the whole drawing on the vertical axis by 180 degrees and then it fixes the dimensions! I should have thought of that, and it does fix my immediate problem.
The issue is not actually that simple though, If I had hypothetically also drawn another detail in the opposite corner of the pool and also dimensioned that, then rotating the model would un-fix the opposite detail. What we should have is an option to flip the text by a nominated axis, I would have thought.

Lar

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »

What you describe in your opening post has been a conspiracy of major pains in dcad since forever.

What happens is dimensions automatically orient to the front (and right, I think) so rear (and left?) views show the dimensions backward.

I have managed to avoid dimensioning in 2 axis for years, so to avoid this problem, but just yesterday I couldn't avoid it and had to come up with a fix.

What I did was draw the dimension in 3D then place a 3D Text entity so it orients like the dimension's text, but face correctly. Then I went to the info box's second dimension page, activated the 'Fixed Text' field, copied the text, then backspaced it so nothing shows. I then  pasted the dimension text into the 3D Text and grouped the two.

The obvious drawback is if you adjust the dimension you would then have to deactivate fixed text so you can copy and paste into the 3D text, then  make it blank again. Also would have adjust the location of the 3D text (but generally the dimension text don't automatically adjust anyway). But it's worth the trouble to have the text oriented properly.

Lar

bdeck

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 11:14:07 AM »
The easiest solution I know of is not great. But it allows you to view and print your drawing viewed from any angle.

After all dimensioning is done and you have set the view you want, just set a new working plane.

All the dimensions will face the viewer.  And any dimensions added while the new working plane is set will read correctly.

However, setting the working plane causes the view angle to change a bit, so it will have to be readjusted. Also, setting or resetting the working plane may change the flip bit on some dimensions that already read correctly, so you'll need to go over them all to verify that they are OK.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 11:40:47 AM by bdeck »

Pearco

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 11:50:07 AM »
adriank,
Have you tried using dim by free form.  I just made a simple couple of boxes then changed the working plain to the rear. That is where I put some dims on it using free form then changed back to the original working plane and the dim text reorient to read from the front even though they were done one the rear. Try it out to see if it works for you.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

adriank

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 03:53:04 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys.
It does seem that changing the working plane is the work-around, but as Lar mentioned this has been a flaw in the program forever.
Fortunately it's a very rare tool for me to need & I'm sure by the time I run into the problem again I'll have forgotten how to solve it.
It's certainly not the biggest issue DCad has to fix so it can stay at the bottom of the pile for now!

Adrian

Pearco

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 05:24:00 AM »
adriank;
I have not tried it much, but I think experimenting with free form dims could be a easy work around. They do not seem to be tied to any axis.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

adriank

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 07:30:03 AM »
Hi Pearco,
The dimensions in my original 3D were all 'freeform' anyway - many being on a 45deg angle - and they still displayed backwards.
Playing with it now, it's setting a new working plane that fixes the issue.