Register

DesignCAD 2019 and DesignCAD 3D Max 2019 now available for sale!
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/ OR
https://www.imsidesign.com/products/designcad

Future of DesignCAD ????
Read 907 times
* August 15, 2019, 10:50:05 PM

What is the future of DesignCAD?  The 2019 release is a disaster and it is totally unusable with the many bugs that exist. Tech support has been non existent and is not responding. I would hate to have to give up on DesignCAD, since I have been using it since the early ProDesign  and have a large cache of custom symbols.

If you had to  move what are other CAD software packages to consider?

August 16, 2019, 01:35:39 PM
Good question.

We have seen similar problems in the past.

Programming and technical support initially were here in the US, with some of the very knowledgeable original ProDesign people on staff.

Then IMSI farmed out the programming to Russia. After that we had a lot of introduced bugs and poor tech support response. But then the Russian programmer came up to speed and after a few new versions we had a useful program again.

Now IMSI has changed to new programmer(s) in Pakistan, and once again we are seeing a lot of new bugs and poor support. Maybe in a few years we will have another reliable version - if India and Pakistan don't blow each other out of existence first!

Phil

DesignCAD user since 1987

* August 17, 2019, 01:47:10 PM
If DesignCad gets pulled, what would be the remaining life span of the versions we are currently using?
It appears that some users are successfully using much older versions.
Like Robert, I have a huge library of details accumulated over the past 20 years, including thousands of construction drawings archived.
Robert, I'm unaware of your discipline, but as an architectural designer, I use Chief Architect for my conceptual design work and 3D presentations to clients. But I always go back to DesignCad for consent and construction drawings.
Chiefs customer service is outstanding - basically same day, however the 2D capabilities and ease of use of DesignCad are second to none
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:49:33 PM by Douglas »

DesignCad user since 1997

* August 17, 2019, 08:19:00 PM
Thanks for the comments and software suggestions. I mostly do 2D system, drawings for automation equipment and Pro Design and DesignCAD have met my needs for many years. I tied TurboCAD years ago with version 12 but went back to DesignCAD.

August 18, 2019, 08:44:45 AM
Without ACIS support, DC has nowhere to go except for minor tweaks. I suspect that the end is nigh for anyone but the hobbyist.

August 22, 2019, 07:31:46 AM
The only fear I have is that some day before my demise I might not be able to re-install Designcad on a new computer because my activation number has expired, and IMSI is not around to provide a new one!!!

Specially now that the Troll has somewhat faded from the scene...., Long live the Troll.   :)

User since Pro-design

* August 22, 2019, 12:34:03 PM
...., Long live the Troll.   :)

Long live the Troll.

August 22, 2019, 12:40:44 PM
Let's hope so!!

* August 23, 2019, 02:57:25 PM
Perhaps some of you wealthy entrepreneurial North Americans could form a collective to purchase the rights to DesignCAD, then engage the Troll to develop and market DC and take it to the next level.
The way its been allowed to run down, I would expect the purchase price to be very reasonable  :-\
"Make DesignCAD great again"

August 31, 2019, 05:38:22 PM
I just bought the newest DC 3D 2019 and I am flummoxed. Many things don't work. I read here that programmers in Pakistan are in charge and IMSI has screwed us over. I have used DC since V1. I was PD308.

I have to revert to an old DC to get any work done. Which one is the most stable?

If I have to leave DC, what should I buy?

September 01, 2019, 09:08:56 AM
Just about every DC version has had some quirks.   

What you want depends on how many of the newer features are useful to you, and each version does add some bits of good stuff.

Personally, I have found V25 and V26 to be quite stable and useable.

For the 2019 V28 you just purchased, you might want to wait and see they have been working on a bug-fix for some time now, and maybe they will be more successful in that.

Still hard to beat any version of DCAD for simple drawing, and modeling.

User since Pro-design

* September 01, 2019, 09:43:37 PM
Eric
I'm using version 2016.1 (64 bit) and its working just fine
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:46:23 PM by Douglas »

September 02, 2019, 10:22:16 AM
Eric, could you please clarify which version you upgraded from, and which versions you have used in the past?

User since Pro-design

September 07, 2019, 02:37:54 PM

When the new programmers introduced the 2019 version to the world and said we have one week to beta test in I was shocked.  With DT the beta team use to take years working on the upcoming version. Not that were neck deep in beta testing for the whole duration, but the benefit of the length of time was that by time the version was introduced to the public the team had already experienced most of the little oddities and when questions popped up on the forum we had answers ready.

Lar

September 07, 2019, 10:39:19 PM
I was a bit surprised by the short beta testing period. I guess the programmers thought they had perfect code (never happens) and didn't need any help. Wrong!

The programmers don't know nearly as much about the program as users who have been using it for 30+ years.

To make matters worse, when they released a new version it wouldn't load on my machine, even after I had uninstalled the previous beta version. I had dozens of previous alpha, beta and final release versions on my machine and that never caused problems installing a new version. I have cleaned house now and have only 14 versions running (from V15.3 to V27.0).

And they made the mistake of sending out code that reconfigured the user's program to work like the programmer's machine. That's a sophomoric blunder.

All in all, it looks like pretty amateurish programming.

Phil