Author Topic: Future of DesignCAD ????  (Read 82 times)

Robert Willis

Future of DesignCAD ????
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:05 PM »

What is the future of DesignCAD?  The 2019 release is a disaster and it is totally unusable with the many bugs that exist. Tech support has been non existent and is not responding. I would hate to have to give up on DesignCAD, since I have been using it since the early ProDesign  and have a large cache of custom symbols.

If you had to  move what are other CAD software packages to consider?

Dr PR

Re: Future of DesignCAD ????
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:35:39 PM »
Good question.

We have seen similar problems in the past.

Programming and technical support initially were here in the US, with some of the very knowledgeable original ProDesign people on staff.

Then IMSI farmed out the programming to Russia. After that we had a lot of introduced bugs and poor tech support response. But then the Russian programmer came up to speed and after a few new versions we had a useful program again.

Now IMSI has changed to new programmer(s) in Pakistan, and once again we are seeing a lot of new bugs and poor support. Maybe in a few years we will have another reliable version - if India and Pakistan don't blow each other out of existence first!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 01:47:10 PM »
If DesignCad gets pulled, what would be the remaining life span of the versions we are currently using?
It appears that some users are successfully using much older versions.
Like Robert, I have a huge library of details accumulated over the past 20 years, including thousands of construction drawings archived.
Robert, I'm unaware of your discipline, but as an architectural designer, I use Chief Architect for my conceptual design work and 3D presentations to clients. But I always go back to DesignCad for consent and construction drawings.
Chiefs customer service is outstanding - basically same day, however the 2D capabilities and ease of use of DesignCad are second to none
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:49:33 PM by Douglas »
DesignCad user since 1997

Robert Willis

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 08:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments and software suggestions. I mostly do 2D system, drawings for automation equipment and Pro Design and DesignCAD have met my needs for many years. I tied TurboCAD years ago with version 12 but went back to DesignCAD.

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 08:44:45 AM »
Without ACIS support, DC has nowhere to go except for minor tweaks. I suspect that the end is nigh for anyone but the hobbyist.