Author Topic: 2019 . . . questions  (Read 398 times)

Mark Laing

2019 . . . questions
« on: June 01, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »
Just installed v2019
What's with the weird directories for macros and everything? Do I have to straighten them out? (I don't know how.)
And the cursor is gone. I hate the crosshair.  How do I switch back to the 3d cursor?
Just hoping for answers.
Mark.

Pearco

Re: 2019 . . . questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 05:21:31 PM »
Mark;

Click on hot key "Q" for options , then select cursor and select the type you want.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

Mark Laing

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 06:54:03 AM »
Well I hit Alt-o, o for options so thanks for that tip, but no. I tried that right off. It says 3d cursor. Gives me the other. And I tried opting for the crosshairs in case they were reversed.  That's not it.
Another weird thing is, all of my commands work properly except I can't select anything with the cursor.
Is anyone else having this problem?

Mark Laing

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »
Found it!
It was 'pre-set point mode' in the main toolbar. I have never used it, but I've read (old, paper) manual, so I knew I had seen it before.
Now tell me about the directories. :)
Mark.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
Can you explain what you are seeing about directories that is weird???

User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:56:14 AM »
It looks like the programmers have configured the installation files to set up their own machine configuration on user machines. It is a freshman programmer mistake.

I won't have anything to do with 2019 until this BUG is fixed!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 11:31:55 AM »
These are exactly the kinds of issues that beta testing is supposed to find :)
25 years with DesignCAD

Lar

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 12:48:43 PM »
Are we headed back to the pre-DT days?   :(

Mark Laing

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 07:10:55 PM »
Seriously it has a browse function and you can just set whatever directory you want. It's not that big a deal.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 07:46:46 PM »
These are exactly the kinds of issues that beta testing is supposed to find :)

I did not see any unusual directory structures in the beta versions.  Did anyone else???
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »
All of the default file locations for beta 1 were in a user folder for one of the programmers. Some of the default functions were whatever the programmer was doing before the program was sent out - not the normal program defaults. Those are real [programming blunders!

Beta 3 won't install - it said the 15 day trial period was over the first time I tried to install it!

Not real encouraging!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

bdeck

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
I did not see any unusual directory structures in the beta versions.  Did anyone else???

Hi Rob,
To follow up on Dr PR, the file locations of my most recent beta were all set to:

C:\Users\syeda\DCGitBucket\DesignCAD\Dc27MaxInst\Dcad27image

bd

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 11:25:47 PM »
We do seem to have lost a few features with this version's installer. For one thing, I didn't notice an option to install 'for single user', which grognards like myself prefer to keep all the program's information IN ONE FOLDER HIERARCHY rather than relying on the My Documents structure. (Note: Seems in fact I just overlooked it!) Fortunately this is pretty easy to replicate post-installation. Here's what I did to switch 'just for me' installation behavior after the fact:

Step 1: Install DesignCAD as usual, but IMPORTANT: choose an install location that is NOT in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). In my case, the new laptop has a tiny SSD drive for C, and a large D drive, so installed to D:\IMSIDesign\DesignCAD 3D Max 2019. Note: If you downloaded the self-extracting EXE file, don't confuse the actual installation folder with the folder to which it self-extracts the setup files -- I first redirected the self-extractor to a D drive location, from which the actual installer began).

Step 2: Run DesignCAD one time from the desktop shortcut.

Step 3: Open Windows File Explorer and locate the folder to which DesignCAD copied the user files (typically C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents/DesignCAD 3D Max 2019 xx-bit, where xx is either 32 or 64). If you're not sure where they went, start DesignCAD and choose File/Open, then pull down the 'look in:' drop-list to see what directory it's defaulting to. Be sure to close DesignCAD when you've determined the necessary folder. Using Windows File Explorer, open this folder, then select all the contents (do not include the folder itself, just its contents) and CUT (do not Copy) them to the clipboard.

Step 4: Browse to the DesignCAD application folder, and PASTE in the files on the clipboard from step 3.

Step 5: Browse to C:\ProgramData\IMSIDesign\DesignCAD 3D Max 2019 64-bit (or 32-bit, if that's the version you installed). Rename this folder to 'Multi-User DesignCAD 3D Max 2019 64-bit' (or 32-bit as needed).

Step 6: Open an admin-level CMD prompt, and change directory to the DesignCAD application folder (in my specific case, these commands were: 'D:'    followed by 'CD IMSIDesign\DesigncAD 3D Max 2019'). Run these commands once you're in that folder, to reset DesignCAD to default settings:

Dcad28x64 /clear

Dcad28x64 /reset

Step 7: Start DesignCAD once again through the desktop shortcut -- it should default to 'like new' settings, and you can now establish your own preferences using the Options dialog.

At first glance this may appear difficult, but if you know your way around Windows File Explorer, it shouldn't be that hard and will take surprisingly little time. Of course, we can hope that the installer will soon natively support the 'just for me' option once again.

ADDENDUM: Mea Culpa! It seems perhaps that I just overlooked the 'just for me' option on the serial number screen. In any case, if you don't care about 'single user' behavior and just want to get back to program defaults, just use steps 6 and 7 above, namely:Open an Admin-level CMD prompt and switch to the DesignCAD application drive and directory, then run these commands:

Dcad28x64 /clear  (or x86 for the 32-bit version)

and

Dcad28x64 /reset
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:08:57 AM by DrollTroll »
25 years with DesignCAD