Author Topic: Beta 2019 comments  (Read 195 times)

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Beta 2019 comments
« on: May 16, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
I'll leave mine here, adding to this post as I find stuff, unless otherwise suggested:

1)  The issue of the slow rubber band line when drawing in 3D openGL shaded mode has not been fixed.   Just draw any simple entity in 3D, shade it, and the try to draw a line.  As the cursor moves the rubber band line redraws all segments continuously, and after a few segments, it grinds to a halt.

I think the above makes OpenGL shading nearly useless, as the whole point is to be able to work on a shaded drawing. 

2) Most pdf imports I have tried work very well.   Note that most text seems to come in as graphic objects and not editable text, even though some files do come in as text. 

3) Importing page 1 of a multi=page pdf seems to cause subsequent drawing and zoom commands to stop working.  Close and re-open DCAD to restore functions.

Sample file attached - importing either page 1 or page 2 stops subsequent commands from working.  This drawing was printed from an earlier version of DCAD.  The status line displays entities created - esc to stop, which does nothing.  All imports were tested in 2D mode.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:37:51 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

Re: Beta 2019 comments
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:10:25 PM »
Rob,

I know you have reported the slow rubberband line in 3D OpenGL shaded mode before, but I have never had this problem with OpenGL Gouraud shading, even in very large drawings. If this is unique to your system it may be impossible for the programmers to "fix" it.

It would be very useful to have a list of the bugs the programmers think they have fixed. As I recall, we had a list of over a hundred known bugs in DesignCAD a few years ago. I really don't want to go through the entire list to test to see if specific bugs are fixed if there has been no work to fix them.

Phil
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:13:36 PM by Dr PR »
DesignCAD user since 1987

Shaheryar Rafiq

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:49:55 PM »
1)  The issue of the slow rubber band line when drawing in 3D openGL shaded mode has not been fixed.   Just draw any simple entity in 3D, shade it, and the try to draw a line.  As the cursor moves the rubber band line redraws all segments continuously, and after a few segments, it grinds to a halt.

I think the above makes OpenGL shading nearly useless, as the whole point is to be able to work on a shaded drawing. 

2) Most pdf imports I have tried work very well.   Note that most text seems to come in as graphic objects and not editable text, even though some files do come in as text. 

3) Importing page 1 of a multi=page pdf seems to cause subsequent drawing and zoom commands to stop working.  Close and re-open DCAD to restore functions.
1) Yes, this is reported and developers are working on it.
2) Can you share any sample pdf with this issue?.
3) I have two questions regarding this:
-You are seeing these issues in 2D mode of 3D?.
-Can you share specific steps as I can not see the issue at my side with the pdf I have?.
SQAE | Technical Support
DesignCAD Team
IMSIDesign

minstrel

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 02:14:50 AM »
Great to see dcad marching onward...

2D PDF import...excellent!  A more than welcomed addition.

FBX - Any & all attempts to 'export' fail and crash dcad.

Shaheryar Rafiq

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 03:00:05 AM »
FBX - Any & all attempts to 'export' fail and crash dcad.

Interesting. You are exporting to .FBX from .DCD or any other format?. Do you have any sample drawing for us to take a look with which you are seeing this issue?. It will be helpful.
SQAE | Technical Support
DesignCAD Team
IMSIDesign

minstrel

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:59 AM »
Well, anything made within dcad, either 2D or 3D crashes my dcad when .fbx export is attempted.  Just drawing a box fails.

FBX import fails/crashes dcad as well.  Attached a simple .fbx file made in AnimeStudio.

Also - each time the dcad beta is opened it I need to click 'activate later' to continue...is this intentional?

note: even the attached .fbx failed...haha - you may want to add .fbx's to acceptable file types for attachments...

Rob S

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 07:38:44 AM »
Minstrel, for any files that can't be uploaded directly, you can zip them and upload that.

Dr PR, the slow rubber band line appears to affect users with intel graphics mostly, seems if you have high end graphics cards they can overcome this.  Unfortunately, I believe it might be a difficult fix. 

Sample files for the pdf import issue coming up shortly
User since Pro-design

minstrel

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 07:53:52 AM »
Thanks Rob,
I had forgotten about that little 'work-around'.

Zipped and uploaded a simple square .fbx file...attempts to open it crash my installed dcad_beta_2019. 
All attempts at .fbx exports crash as well.

Rob S

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:32 AM »
Robs comments continued:

4)  I noticed the Status bar (bottom of screen) is turned off by default, and tuned itself off again this morning when I started the program.   Possible the setting to have it on is not sticking for some reason.  No big problem for users who know it should be there, but it is where the steps for the command are displayed, so new users would miss it.

5)  It appears that most or all pdf imports create duplicate copies of every entity.  This would create a lot of work to clean up, or oversized files.

To confirm this, just import any pdf, and then select a text or line entity and move it aside.  Underneath, you will find a duplicate copy, which can also be selected and moved aside. 

6)  Contrary to my note 2 above, Text imports where the source file actually contains text, are very good as to content, but continuous lines of text are sometimes broken in unexpected locations.  I will find a sample file that does this.

7)  Also, it seems that imported lines of any width are imported as hatch entities.  Vectors with a width factor would be much better, but probably more difficult to accomplish. 

8 )  Agreed, a list of bugs worked on would be very handy to focus our testing.  Reviewing the list of changes, I see reference to a "3D print check tool", but so far can't find where it is or what it does???

9)  Found the print test tool.  It appears to cycle through every solid in the drawing, so pressing esc or Ok merely presents the data for the next entity.  There is no way to close until you have done them all.  I think it needs an esc or close, and a next button instead of the OK button, and some way to know which entity it is reporting on better than its co-ordinates.  Could not the entity be highlighted?   Subtracting a sphere from one corner of a cube produces 12 open edges.  Why??

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:32:33 PM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »
Rob,

My laptop has the Intel HD Graphics 4400 chip. The processor is a 2 GHz i7 dual core. 12 Gbytes of RAM.

I do see a bit of flicker in the rubber band while drawing lines in OpenGL Gouraud shading. Turning off the "Enable Drawing Data display" option in the "Options/Options/View" tab eliminates much of this, but there still is a bit of flicker. It does not slow down drawing noticeably. I ran this test in a drawing with 10,000 boxes.

Phil

Dr PR

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »
I  noticed that installation appears to have created a new user on my machines. I used the "for me only" installation option and told it to install the program in

C:\DesignCAD V28.0x64\Program

Many of the files are in

C:\Users\syeda\DCG\Bucket ....

This isn't a good idea! New users should not be created.

Previous installations have placed all of the files in the

DesignCAD VNN.Nx64

folder where I told it to. This ensures that new versions do not overwrite files for earlier versions.

I once installed some HP drivers for a new "all in one" print/scan machine at work. The programmer who created the installation changed all the settings on my machine to be the same as on his machine and a lot of Windows functions were totally screwed up and some programs no longer ran. I had to restore my system and purge everything HP from it in order to get it to where I could use it in my business again.

Phil
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:01:09 PM by Dr PR »

Rob S

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 02:05:02 PM »
Regarding the slow rubber band line, my system is a 3 year old HP Envy Laptop I5 @2.30 ghz, 8gb ram, with integrated intel HD graphics 520.  Very fast in every other way.

I tried turning off drawing data display, this made no difference.

I have the issue in a fresh new drawing containing on single shaded cube.  NOTE - It only occurs when moving the cursor by mouse to set points, not when setting point numerically.  It occurs when drawing a line, or drawing a solid such as a sphere with many rubber band lines.

Are there any other settings that you tweak from the defaults?

Can anyone else here confirm if they do or do not have this issue, and what their hardware is?

Possibly narrowing this down will help them fix it.
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 02:06:35 PM »
Rob,

I wonder if it is your OpenGL drivers (or the absence of them) that are the source of your slow rubberband problem?

You might check to see if there are new drivers for your machine. And be sure to look for OpenGL drivers for your chip set. The Intel OpenGL drivers for my 4400 chip set are pretty good. Even most of the RedSDK Turbine demo ran on my laptop using the Intel OpenGL drivers.

If you don't have OpenGL drivers the Windows video routines have to simulate OpenGL and that could slow things down a lot.

I installed V28.0x64 beta 1 on my Win 7 Pro work machine. No problems with the OpenGL rubberbands there! However, the old display bugs of redraw after redraw after redraw after redraw ... are still there.

I normally check "Enable off-screen bitmap" in the "Options/View" tab. I deselect the "Enable drawing data display"" because I find the extra clutter annoying.

I normally do not enable "Flicker-Free GDI Driver." I have forgotten what this is for.

I sometimes check "Enable graphics acceleration" but in the latest versions this seems to have a mind of its own. When I switch back to Wireframe display this option seems to be disabled. It is turned on automatically when I switch to OpenGL Gouraud shading. Don't know why this "option" is still in the "View" tab.

In the "Light Source" tab I set the "Ambient," "Diffuse" and "Specular" sliders to 100. This helps defeat the crazy changes made to the light source by the material properties of objects. That is just stupid! Shadows are enabled with a "Map" = 2048x2048, "Softness" = 0.3 or 0.4, and "Tolerance" = 0% (anything other than 0% causes the shadow to creep away from the object - really strange!).

No grid, 3D cursor. "Options/Snap preview" is enabled. "Options/Interruptible Snap" is enabled. "Options/2-D Selection Mode" is enabled.

"Perspective" projection is selected in the "View" toolbox.

I noticed that I cannot switch to OpenGL Gouraud display if the drawing is empty. If I draw a single line then I can switch to the shaded mode. Odd.

Phil
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:31:17 PM by Dr PR »

Dr PR

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 02:48:03 PM »
I just discovered something else that is peculiar.

Yesterday I added Lars' spiffy "Entity ID & Layer Check.d3m" macro to my custom toolbox in V25.2x64. The "Options/File Locations" tab says custom tools are located in the

C:\DesignCAD

folder - where I normally keep custom features (keyboard, materials, etc.) so all versions can find them. The machine was shut down - powered off - over night.

When I stared V28.0x64 beta 1 today and installed my custom toolbox Lars' macro wasn't there!? I figured I had forgotten to save the changes to my custom toolbox from V25.2.

But when I restarted V25.2x64 the macro was still in my custom toolbox!

Both programs have the same path assigned for the custom toolbox in the "Options\File Locations" tab, and were supposed to be opening the same custom toolbox file, but apparently they were not!

I saved the custom toolbox from V25.2 and then opened V28.0 beta 1 and Lars' macro was now in the custom toolbox!!

Anyone wish to try to explain this?

Phil

Dr PR

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 03:13:10 PM »
Here is another problem with V28.0x64 beta 1.

I opened an old 6 Mbyte 3D drawing (22507 entities) that was certain to have problems for 3D printing (lots of grids with open edges, reversed normals, etc.)

I ran the "Tools/3D Print" function and a "3D Print Check Tool" dialog box opened. It provided a lot of good information about the drawing.

But when I clicked the "OK" button the dialog stayed open, and some of the values changed. I clicked again and again, and even tried clicking the "X" button at the top right of the dialog box, and it won't go away! The "ESCape" key just continues to cycle through the sequence.

Right clicking opens a box with a "X Close ALt-F4" option, but this just continues the cycling. ALt-F4 continued the cycling. I guess I need to repeat this 22507 times to get out of the dialog.

How are we supposed to exit this dialog?

CTRL-ALT-DEL and Task Manager seems to be the only way to stop it.

Phil