Author Topic: Another Lovely DC3 idiosyncrasy...  (Read 610 times)

BlankMan

Re: Another Lovely DC3 idiosyncrasy...
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
He's alive! Good to hear from you DrollTroll! Hope all is well.

Ah, yeah, well, except when you can't. I normally grab a corner or an edge. But when you're scaling an extrusion and you want it to look like the object in the upper half of the attached drawing you have to grab the center. If you grab a vertex, a corner, it lands up looking like the object in the lower half of the attached drawing. Not what I need...

When extruding and not scaling I grab a corner or edge. Unless there's some scaling extruding trick to grab a corner and make it look like the top object that I don't know about? That would not surprise me... It just dawned on me, change the points in the extrude command to match the ending location? Hmmm.... Didn't think of that before. That may solve this issue... Doh! Big Doh!
Newbie? Not.
Been using DesignCAD 3D since ~1990
Still have version 4 floppies from 1992...

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 01:13:38 PM »
Try this:
First, use PointSelect to grab it by a vertex. This will also set the selection handle to that same vertex.
Then use SetHandle to move the selection handle to the center (or other desired location) for scaling purposes.
I think that should do it, unless I've missed the point...
25 years with DesignCAD

Dr PR

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »
Curt,

You are a brave soul to use the variable scale feature of the "Extrude" function!

I have used it several times, but it normally takes at least a half dozen tries to get what I want. Often things end up backwards or with the scaled parts in the wrong places.

I guess the problem is that I have never really understood how it works!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

BlankMan

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
Kevan, thanks, na you nailed it. I didn't know I could do that with SetHandle, that sounds like the ticket, I will try that next time around or if these act up again. I say that because it's working now but changing the overall size or adding more complexity could make it go south again. One acted up yesterday I had to move it even further away to draw it, then I move it back. It's a crap shoot, there's no tell'n...

Phil, I use extrude a lot but not usually so much with scaling. I'm using scaling 5 places here, one of them is acting strangely, like the point where it scales down on the X axis isn't the point I gave it so I have to adjust it a bit. So I know what you mean...

-Curt
Newbie? Not.

BlankMan

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »
Phil, your moniker, that looks like a DECwriter style teletype with a paper tape reader? Still using it? LOL
Newbie? Not.

Dr PR

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
I used a borrowed Teletype Corporation ASR-33 to boot up my first home grown computer in 1976. Then I bought a used really fancy model (don't recall the number) with upper and lower case and red/black ribbon. I got rid of it many years ago, but I still have that first home brew computer. A real computer with a front panel with lights and switches!

The image is a Teletype ASR-33. I originally thought of using the handle "Mailman."

I wonder how many people can make that connection?

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987