Author Topic: Is there ever going to be a new version?  (Read 221 times)

BlankMan

Is there ever going to be a new version?
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
Subject pretty much says it all. A big problem is STL exports. 2018 cannot do STL exports correctly. Land up using a bunch of other programs to fix the meshes DCAD puts out. Should not have to do that. DrollTroll knew it had big problems. Got a lot of emails back and forth with him regarding that.

Does IMSI really care about DCAD? When DrollTroll left I had a number of problem tickets open with them, not a single one went anywhere after that. I just opened one with the CutEdge problem, we'll see what happens. I'm not holding my breath...

Does IMSI have a presence here in the Forums since DrollTroll left?

Newbie? Not.
Been using DesignCAD 3D since ~1990
Still have version 4 floppies from 1992...

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Is there ever going to be a new version?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »
It is my suspicion based my useage since way back, and on several years of beta testing that Designcad is a collection of more and more new features cobbled onto the backside of a very ingenious old program that is years and years out of date, and of which no one really knows how it works.

Every time they change programmers, which they did at the time the troll left us, it takes them forever to figure this out.   The only real solution would be for them to recreate right from scratch, but I think to do that without breaking half of the good stuff buried in there would be a major undertaking.

Maybe that is what the new guys are trying to do....

You could try to hibernate for a few months or years and check back here then  :)

It is of course also possible that they have just been very busy and a new version is coming out any day now.
User since Pro-design

ALI ZAIDI

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:02:37 AM »
Hi Guys

No need to worry as the new designCAD is going to be released at the end of this month with some exciting set of features. Some of them include 3MF import and export(this will solve the issue's related to STL), FBX Import and export, 3D print check tool, 2D PDF Import etc.
Ali Zaidi
DesignCAD Developer
IMSI Design

Pearco

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:35:53 AM »
ALI,

That is good to here.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37:13 AM »
Ali,

That is great news. I love wringing out new versions in search of bugs!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »
Hi Guys

No need to worry as the new DesignCAD is going to be released at the end of this month with some exciting set of features. Some of them include 3MF import and export(this will solve the issue's related to STL), FBX Import and export, 3D print check tool, 2D PDF Import etc.

Hi Ali
I assume 2D PDF imports come in at the same quality as the original - that will be an awesome feature for me.
Thankyou
DesignCad user since 1997