Author Topic: Specifying line lengths  (Read 190 times)

Watdazit

Specifying line lengths
« on: September 10, 2018, 03:45:38 AM »
I have not used Turbocad for a number of years..... after retiring. I thought I would brush up on my skills again and bought DesignCAD. I cannot find one feature in DesignCAD I would use a lot in TurboCAD. I could specify a start point for a line and the press TAB, and enter a line length, and then press ENTER and the line would be drawn. Is this feature available in DesignCAD?

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
Re: Specifying line lengths
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 05:33:09 AM »
Welcome to the DC family. DesignCad makes everything easy, sometimes in 4 different ways.  8)
First, visit this forum page and download a chart of all the shortcut keys (scroll down a bit).
http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=30.0

Most of us disable the right-click menu in favor of the snap function. See the General tab in the Options, unclick "Enable right-click popup menu".

To your problem...
For a line, use the shortcut key "v".
Set the first point, either by snapping to a current point (period key shortcut) or starting fresh with a left mouse click (or the Ins key on your numeric keypad). Check out "running snaps" in the manual for automatic snapping. Sometimes that method isn't the best with large drawings.
You have three (shortcut) choices to set the next point: Point Polar (semicolon), Point Relative (apostrophe), or Point XYZ (colon). Try 'em all to see how they work.
When done, press Enter to create the line.

Lar

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 06:43:49 AM »

I could specify a start point for a line and the press TAB, and enter a line length, and then press ENTER and the line would be drawn.
So pressing Tab is the trick! I tried TurboCad a few times and could not specify a line distance so I gave up. I was able to draw a line by just setting points but I could only draw 2 point lines.

I remember having the exact same issues when I first tried to learn acad back in the early 1990's, while already being proficient in dcad. Later on I decided I had to learn acad and based on my previous experience realized, unlike word processors and image programs, all CAD programs were totally different from each other. I had to ignore everything I knew about dcad to learn autocad. Once I was comfortable in acad I realized they both used the same or similarly-logical shortcut keys so I started using shortcuts rather than typing the command's name and this totally freaked out the acad guys.

So my first bit of advice when learning another cad program is to forget everything you know about your first and just concentrate on learning this one.

Lar
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:46:36 AM by Lar »

Watdazit

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
Thanks guys. Another reason for wanting to get back into CAD was I met an architect a short while ago who I noticed had Parkinsons. I asked her what CAD program she used and she told me she didn't! I offered to get her started with CAD and thought DesignCAD could be a good starting point. Am I right?

bdeck

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
I could specify a start point for a line and the press TAB, and enter a line length, and then press ENTER and the line would be drawn. Is this feature available in DesignCAD?

The macro attached should do something similar to what you describe. It should work ok in preset point mode (CADrpn) or standard mode. In preset point mode, you can set 0, 1, or 2 points before running the macro.

Assign it to a key (press Q/ keyboard for the shortcut menu) or call it from the command line. (Dunno if the TAB key is available. F1 is  not available.) 

Look here http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=30.0 to see a list of standard key assignments.

You can modify the macro once you get your feet wet.

Regards,
bd

PS: I'll leave it to others to answer your second question. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:52:51 AM by bdeck »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »
For someone who hasn't used CAD at all, any CAD program will be a deep dive into a dark tunnel, with the light being some ways off..

If she has the patience to learn it, and unless her associates ie other consultants require ACAD work-together, Designcad can be a good choice.

Certainly one of the cheapest ways to get a quality professional program to get started with.
User since Pro-design