Author Topic: 3D Max 2018 crashes when trying to export to .pdf  (Read 158 times)

MTMeredith

3D Max 2018 crashes when trying to export to .pdf
« on: September 02, 2018, 12:00:12 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to export to a portrait format pdf and Dcad crashes.  I went looking for a patch, found one and it won't install.  I get a Windows error message stating that the program I am trying to upgrade is missing.  Exporting to wmf works just fine.

markmeredith@cinci.rr.com

Dr PR

Re: 3D Max 2018 crashes when trying to export to .pdf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »
What version of DesignCAD are you using? 2D or 3D? What operating system?

Many of us use CutePDF - a free program - to "print" PDFs from DesignCAD. CutePDF (a silly name but a good program) installs as a printer driver. Then any program can "print" to a PDF file.

You can then print from DesignCAD to a PDF file. CutePDF allows you to set the image size and pixel density for very high resolution prints.

Another option is to save an image file (File/Image/Save Image File) to a JPEG or other format. Then print this file. An advantage of this is that you can save the image in very high resolution - something like 16,000 x 16,000 pixels max, and print this to very large posters.

Phil
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:15:49 PM by Dr PR »
DesignCAD user since 1987

bdeck

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:09:27 AM »
I prefer to print to CuteWriter for its speed and reliability. But I mostly print to Foxit Reader (free) or Foxit Phantom (paid) because

1) The Foxit printer dialogs show the "Recent Places" folder, while Cute version 3.2  does not (win 7);
2) Foxit (optionally) opens the pdf file for viewing after the print; and
3) Foxit Phantom has the fastest, most accurate OCR I have seen. I'm not wild about Foxit's user interface.

DC pdf export will not export 3d shading. I never use it for anything.

bd
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:25:53 PM by bdeck »

Shaheryar Rafiq

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 06:05:43 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to export to a portrait format pdf and Dcad crashes.  I went looking for a patch, found one and it won't install.  I get a Windows error message stating that the program I am trying to upgrade is missing.  Exporting to wmf works just fine.

markmeredith@cinci.rr.com
MTMeredith,

Are you having such crashes with specific drawing or all of them?. Can you share any file here for us to look at from which produced a crash.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:15:36 AM by Shaheryar Rafiq »
SQAE
IMSIDesign