Author Topic: Solid Subtract failure DesignCAD 3D MAX 2018  (Read 100 times)

BlankMan

Solid Subtract failure DesignCAD 3D MAX 2018
« on: August 30, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
Got a solid subtract failure. Linked YouTube video below explains it. Drawing is attached if anyone wants to try it, I'd be very appreciative if someone can determine what the problem is.

Solid Subtract fail video
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:18:50 PM by BlankMan »
Newbie? Not.
Been using DesignCAD 3D since ~1990
Still have version 4 floppies...

adriank

Re: Solid Subtract failure DesignCAD 3D MAX 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »
OK, I get the same result.
First I tried 'reverse the order of the points' on the subtracting solid then the subtraction worked fine.

After digging a little deeper, the problem seems to be an extra point in the profile you used to extrude the subtracting solid. (see the attached) When I explode the solid and select the end profile in point-select mode there is an extra point on the top face which is a loose end-point - if I delete that point and re-extrude the solid it also works fine.

I suspect the reason the 'reverse order of points' trick worked is because if the loose point is the last one it gets ignored but if it's the first one it creates an improper solid.

Adrian

BlankMan

Re: Solid Subtract failure DesignCAD 3D MAX 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:39:41 PM »
Thank you! Indeed I found a line that had 3 points instead of 2. I was pulling my hair out for hours before I posted the question. But then I stumbled on a BasicCAD Line command that had 3 PointXYZ's. (I cut & paste a lot.) I didn't test if that was it until now and that must have been it because with the extra point removed it works fine.

Thanks again!
Newbie? Not.
Been using DesignCAD 3D since ~1990
Still have version 4 floppies...