Author Topic: Printing 'offset' glitch  (Read 258 times)

Flrn

Printing 'offset' glitch
« on: July 06, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »
Been wasting quite a bit of time trying to get rid of a 'printing' glitch.
DCAD 2016/64 ver. 26.2

The attached simple drawing has four layers. The problem is that
when printing or 'preview'ing the drawing is given an unwanted offset
to the left!

Because other seekers of help, in the past, have been told
(reasonably), "...works fine on my machine...", I include a screenshot
of my 'preview.' The problem is persistent (at least on my machine),
surviving closing the program and restarting. It is as though some
'artifact' (invisible on all layers) 'insists' that the drawing be offset.

The red 'surrounding' line was supposed to 'fit' into the default 1/2"
borders with a 7.5:10 'aspect ratio.'

Of course, would like to know how to avoid such tiresome wastes of
time altogether, but even a 'work-around' would be welcome.

Thanks,
Jim

Lar

Re: Printing 'offset' glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »

There is a little "3" off on the right side. Turn on point select mode then Select All and you will see its point-dots.

Lar

Flrn

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
Lar, thank you;D  Detective, Trouble-shooter, Architect...  I'm sure the list goes on.

In my complete lack of sophistication, first turned on "Preset Point Mode" and puzzled about "Select All," fumbled about more and finally noticed the "Point Select Mode" button, then Ctrl-A slowly dawned...  But, then, hit "Delete" and 'blew' the drawing away!  Copies available happily...  Have had such plotting/preview errors before, at least once or twice; likely they involved gunshots to the foot also.  Your astute 'fix' in this instance points out a surprising, gratifying tool for seeing the 'invisible.'  That troubling, askew "3" wouldn't have been seen/found, unaided, by me, for the rest of my days.

Clearly DCAD is a huge BARGAIN, made so, to the greatest extent by you helpful, kindly, experienced folks who are 'regulars' on this forum. Thank y'all and thanks to all y'all.

Very gratefully,
Jim

Lar

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »

Awwwwwwwwwww…. <clears throat> <deepens voice> Hey, no problem, bro.

Also, forgive me for not explaining how to access the 'Point Select Mode' and 'Select All' commands. I remember back in my early days of computering reading software manuals that tell what to do but not how to do it. I use to hate that.

Fyi, that trick to find lost outta space entities is literally the oldest trick in the dcad book.  And I actually missed out the very important step of opening the layer dialog (L key) and clicking the 'Unlock All' button (before Selecting All). If that "3" was on a locked layer then Select All would not have found it.

And now, all the way from the Sunny Bahamas, Lar is going to perform his 2nd magical trick...

...  But, then, hit "Delete" and 'blew' the drawing away! 

After making any mistake just "Undo" (ctrl+Z) to undo the mistake. Dcad can Undo every action up to the last time the file was saved. And then it can "Redo" (ctrl+Y) all the way back. Well not everything: Viewing stuff like Zooms are ignored and some macro actions get skipped over**.

Lar
** Click the link for further discussions on that (so we don't pollute this thread):  http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?action=post;msg=51312;topic=7145.0

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:47:28 PM »
Jim,

You mentioned "Preset Point Mode." Are you using the program with preset points enabled? You can use the program with preset points enabled or disabled.

1. Preset Points Disabled (the default): First you select the command and then set the points.

For example, to draw a line you first press "V" (V for vector), or use the "Draw,Lines/Line" menu option, or select the "Draw a line" tool in the Main Toolbox. Then you set the points for the line, and when finished press the ENTER key.

The status bar will give tips for how to use the command, and it also shows the number of points that are set.

2. Preset Points Enabled. You set the points first and then select the command.

To draw a line you set the points for the line and then press "V" or use one of the other options.

Because the program has no idea what you will be using the points for, there are no tips on the status bar. It does show the number of points that have been set.

Some people like the Preset Point Mode because it requires one less keystroke - at least for simple commands. Personally, I prefer the default mode with preset points off. Trying to set the correct number of points in the proper order can be confusing sometimes without the status bar tips.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Flrn

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:08:22 PM »
No, Doctor, I'd mistakenly stumbled upon Preset Point Mode while intending to follow Lar's instruction to use Point Select Mode for 'seeing' the errant, small "3" that was giving me grief. That failure, due to lack of familiarity with either mode, typifies my level of usage: solidly in the klutz category. Thanks for the clarification on some uses/advantages of Preset Point Mode.

Have enjoyed your 'soliloquies' on "AutoCRUD"--first saw the product demo'ed on a TI portable/lug-gable, DOS machine, around '82-'85. In some limited locales, AutoCAD seemed, first, like the only game in town and, later, like the accepted 'standard.' Even purchased an early Windows 'educational' version (on 5 1/4" floppies) for 'fun and games.'

Thanks,
Jim

Dr PR

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »
Jim,

Since you are new to DesignCAD, please don't hesitate to ask questions and point out things you find confusing or difficult to do. It will help the programmers make the program easier to use for beginners.

Those of us who have used the program for decades, and have developed our "automatic" ways of doing things, cannot provide that insight.

And, believe it or not, I learn a lot from the newbies! I developed many habits in the past that I still continue to use, even though new features have been added to the program that would make things easier. I often learn about these new tricks when a new user starts asking questions about them. Those questions force us old timers to investigate and learn.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987