Author Topic: Image save problem  (Read 293 times)

Dr PR

Image save problem
« on: May 25, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
I have seen several problems when trying to save image files (File/Image/Save Image File) in V27.0 27-Feb-18 on my Win 7 Pro 64 machine.

I have attached a test.jpg file. It is a small 2D file.

When I save the image with V25.2 everything is OK (test V25.2.jpg). But when I save it with V27.0 (test V27.0.jpg) some, but not all, if the wide line circles around the "A" symbols are missing.

This is similar to an earlier problem saving wide lines that I reported a couple of months ago. That was supposed to have been fixed in the latest release, but apparently not.

Here is the procedure I followed:

1. Open the file and start "File/Image/Save Image File."

2. Drag a selection rectangle around all parts of the drawing to select the items to be printed( I normally crop unused white space on the sides of the drawing objects to reduce file sizes).

3. Select "Wireframe" in the "Save Image As:" window.

4. Set the "Height" value to 2048.

5. Click "OK".

6. Tell the program where to save the file.

Anyone else see this problem?

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

adriank

Re: Image save problem
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 01:57:26 AM »
I can confirm your problem on my V27/27th Feb Windows 10 machine.
I went a little deeper, guessing it may be resolution based, and saved a series of images starting at 800 high and working up in increments.
I found the circles started disappearing gradually starting from the bottom & working up the page.
About 885 pixels high was the last complete image I got - I've posted that  attached - notated with the order and degree of disappearance of the circles as the pixel height increased.
Note that one circle started to disappear at 900 high but came back at 1000 high, but then it disappeared for good after 1200 high.

As a side issue, I tried to copy your file into a new one to see if it was a corruption of that particular file - it wasn't!
The new file did however suffer from my recurring issue of the disappearing rubber-band on my selection box  (including the selection box when dragging the size of the image file to save) This was never fixed,  but previously I've only experienced it when pasting drawings made in older versions than V27.
If you copy your file to the clipboard and paste it into a fresh drawing do you see any abnormal behavior of rubber bands?

Adrian

adriank

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:05:32 AM »
The lineweight seems to be the issue.
After my other post, I tried exploding the group of the circle/A -made no difference.
I vector converted the circle - still no difference, then I drew a new 0 lineweight circle the same size next to a disappearing one and it stayed there.
I suspect the issue affects all non-0 width lines in drawings.

A

Dr PR

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »
Adrian,

Thanks.

I should have mentioned that I had noticed that the image size did influence whether or not some parts disappeared.

Image sizes equal to or smaller the "main" window resolution save OK. But when I try to save an image larger (more pixels) than the window, bits and pieces fall off. This does seem to occur with wide lines. I reported missing wide lines several months ago and I thought it was fixed in the latest release but it hasn't been.

For example, an image the same size as the main window has all lines. An image 4x the height of the main window has wide lines on only the top 1/4 of the image.

This is just another example how saving an image file is somehow dependent upon the screen image. This is bad!

The settings in the "Save Image File" dialog work differently depending upon whether your screen display is wireframe, OpenGL Gouraud or GDI Phong! It is totally screwball! There is no mention of this dependence in the Reference Manual, and it took me years do figure out why I sometimes got different results for the same drawing with the same settings! ARRRRGGGHHHHH!

This gives me an idea about another BUG in DesignCAD displays and image file saves. Sometimes shadows are cropped and appear in only part of the image file. Since I always save images at about better than 4x resolution of the screen (4096 pixels high), maybe that is why I usually can't get shadows to work properly.

This is such a problem that for renderings for my web page I have to save an image of the screen with GDI Phong rendering and then edit it in Photoshop to trim away everything except the "main" window image.

In this case the images are at screen resolution and the shadows are not cropped.

I'll have to experiment with this when I can find the time.

As far as the disappearing rubber bands with selection drags, I have never seen that problem.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987