Author Topic: Cannot update DesignCAD 2018  (Read 892 times)

pjc4

Re: Cannot update DesignCAD 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 07:08:32 AM »
I'll do exactly that. Thanks again.

Phil

pjc4

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
I had the file saved in AutoCAD 2000, but it still doesn't import.

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
Just to confirm procedure --
1) you're starting with a new, empty DesignCAD drawing, then using File/Import (NOT File/Open) to import the dwg file, correct?2) Are you getting an error message?3) If not is the file name changing to that of the dwg file?4) When you check Help/Drawing Info, does it show that the drawing contains any entities and points?
25 years with DesignCAD

adriank

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 12:43:41 AM »
DT's comment just reminded me - I'm living in Thailand and I do get sent many files that have the filename in Thai script. My computer displays that text ok but DCad can't handle it so I have to rename all my DWG files I get sent before I can open them.

Maybe that's your problem?

Adrian

pjc4

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 08:13:24 AM »
DT:
1) Yes, it's New and Import.
2) No error messages. It starts importing and at the bottom left the message reads, " Reading Tables, Reading Blocks, Reading Model Space...", then nothing. One or two lines import (sometimes one, sometimes two or three) and that's all. If I try Zoom to Fit Window the tiny bit that's there goes to different parts of the screen. When I close the drawing it doesn't ask if I want to save it.
3) No DC file name at all.
4) Yes. 843 entities in 9 layers (all visible, editable and unlocked).

Adrian,
I have a Khmer text keyboard available, but everything's in English. I tried renaming the file, but got the same thing.

Thank you both for your help.

Phil

Dr PR

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »
pjc4,

Sometimes a file appears blank because the zoom factor or View Distance is very very small. The Zoom Factor is displayed  in the status bar.

In the View Toolbox set a View Distance that is several times greater than the largest dimension of the drawing (see "Help/Drawing Info).

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

pjc4

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:09 AM »
Phil,

Is View Toolbox available in 2D? I don't have 3D.

Phil

adriank

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 06:47:00 AM »
After the file has finished importing try using 'select all' (menu edit/select all) while in point-select mode so every point is highlighted with a blue square. You'll easily be able to see where the majority of the points are grouped and then you can zoom in until you can see the drawing.
It's common for me to import a file and have it appear empty until I delete all the rogue points that are miles from the actual drawing.

You can also try importing with exploded blocks as sometimes the parameters for a block can be vastly larger than the actual drawing, causing the same issue of the drawing being too small to see when you 'fit-to-window'.

I also note that if I import a DWG file and then close the drawing without saving it I don't get a prompt to save either - that looks like a bug!

Adrian

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 07:20:18 AM »
This is two cases in recent posts now where someone is having issues importing into the 2D version.

Couple of possibilities one if the file is small enough to post here, some of us with 3D versions could try it.

If that won't work, you could install the 3D trial version, and try the import into that.

User since Pro-design

pjc4

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
Adrian,
There's only a few points/entities shown when I gravity to them. If I delete one, everything is deleted, even if it's already been exploded.

Rob,
I like trying the 3D version. I'll try that.

Thanks again.

Phil

pjc4

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
The 3D version didn't work.

Someone sent an AutoCAD 2007 file and it opened fine. Then he sent another file that was similar. The program crashed. I tried importing the first file again, and the program crashed. This was all in 2D.

Dr PR

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 10:12:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are the file extensions of these AutoCAD files? DesignCAD should import DXF and DWG files, but AutoDesk has other file formats (DWF?) that DesignCAD doesn't work with.

How large are these files?

Many years ago I used a simple trick to get uncooperative 2D DXF files into DesignCAD. First I imported them into Word, where they came in as vector files. Then I copied the drawing from Word and pasted it into DesignCAD. The result was an editable vector file. I don't know if this still works.

Another thing you might try is loading the drawing into AutoDesk's free DWG TrueView (or whatever they call it today) file viewer program. Then save it under another name and try to import that file into DesignCAD. Maybe this will fix the problem with the file.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

adriank

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »
Rob suggested that you post up the file here for us to try and open, someone here may be able to pinpoint the issue that is causing your crashes.
As Rob said, this is not the only recent issue with imports, the other I recall was resolved by changing the import settings to explode blocks on import. Blocks can really mess up on import, especially if you change the scale of the drawing.

Adrian

pjc4

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 06:55:15 AM »
Here's the .DWG file. I hope it works for someone. Thanks.

Phil

adriank

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »
Not much luck from me I'm afraid - I did manage to make some of the data appear by running the 'flatten' macro. After that I was able to delete a few random floating circles on the extreme bottom of the page and then I could see the remains of the data... BUT, I checked out what it's supposed to look like in a DWG reader and it looked nothing like that! I got a few notes, a northpoint and the logo & address of the the surveyor!
Did you try asking for it as a DXF file?

It'd be interesting to see what others here can do with it...
Adrian