Author Topic: (Shift) k, (Shift) rmb  (Read 428 times)

bdeck

(Shift) k, (Shift) rmb
« on: April 28, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »
For setting the second point of an orthogonal line or the destination of an orthogonal move.

"(Shift) ." is taken, but should be repurposed in this context.

(I'm wearing out the "e" key on my keyboard. The "Del" key is already gone.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:55:58 PM by bdeck »

Dr PR

Re: (Shift) k, (Shift) rmb
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
?????
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:32:55 PM »

For setting the second point of an orthogonal line

Use ortho mode (native H shortcut) or Ortho Line  (Draw menu> Lines...)

... or the destination of an orthogonal move.
Once you start the move or duplicate command, if you enable 'from reference point' and ortho mode is on, any mouse movement will be constrained to the 2 default axes. To move along the 3rd axis you still have to press shift+ctrl, or you can press Y to orbit the view so that this 3rd axis becomes one of the defaults (you may have to use the 1st-point-only of the 'set viewer points' [from the View Toolbox, not a macro] and snap to somewhere nearby to set the focal point there first). Thereafter you can toggle between 'zoom previous' and 'zoom redo' to continue drawing the line along any of the 3 axes. All of this can be done while the line command is still active but it may take a bit of practice. Using a macro will end the line command, keeping the points already set.

Question: What is "(Shift) rmb"?

...Oh, rmb = right mouse button". If I hold shift and gravity snap the constraint is lost if the nearest point is not along the same axis as the cursor is moving.

Lar
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:49:47 PM by Lar »

bdeck

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 06:41:05 AM »
If I hold shift and gravity snap the constraint is lost if the nearest point is not along the same axis as the cursor is moving.

Precisely.

Hi Lar,

For orthogonal moves, I would typically draw an orthogonal line using the shift key, then trim it, or extend it in point select mode. Then make the move, and erase the new line.

Years ago I removed the "H" orthogonal toggle keyboard shortcut from the keyboard because (inter alia):
1) It must be turned off after use.
2) When inadvertently enabled, it is annoying inconvenient ot turn it off.
3) It is not nearly as convenient  as shift click operations.
4) When used with the k key, it's result is not the same as the method I outlined above. (if the target line is not orthogonal)

Move, duplicate, and vector macros could be rewritten to have a self terminating ortho trigger built in to them, except that BasicCad has no keyboard or mouse event handlers, or any way to discriminate between right and left mouse buttons.  The macro would have to rely on input from an external executable for rmb/lmb/key click. Still doable. But more work than I can justify.

Regards,
bd

Lar

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:06:44 AM »

So your problem is you prefer shift but snapping kills the orthoness of it. I am the opposite. I hate when I have to use any control key, for anything. But I especially don't like it for constraints in dcad because the constraint starts at where the cursor is when shift is pressed, not the last point**. So, after setting a point, if the cursor twitches at all before I press shift then the line segment won't truly be straight. I know of other apps that straightens the line segment relative to the last point once shift is held down.

Pressing H to toggle in and out of ortho mode works for me. Maybe you should try using the Ortho Line command (Draw menu> Lines...). My shortcut for it is Alt+H, not sure if that is the native or not.

But it does make sense that if you right click (to gravity snap) while holding shift while in a drawing command then the resulting action should remain constrained.

Lar
** sys(50):  - Cursor Lock behavior in 2D mode [0=new behavior - Shift forces Ortho Mode from the last point set <<Lar's note: you don't see the constraint until you set a point>>;    1=old behavior - Shift locks horizontal movement from the last cursor position, and Ctrl locks vertical movement from the last cursor position.]

However, in the new behavior (0) right click snapping still kills the constraint.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:08:18 AM by Lar »

bdeck

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 10:33:04 AM »
I hate when I have to use any control key, for anything. But I especially don't like it for constraints in dcad because the constraint starts at where the cursor is when shift is pressed, not the last point**.

Yes, the "new" method (sys(50)=0) is better. The old x/y method would be more usable if it were fixed so that it worked from the last point set, and not from some arbitrary cursor location. If one were then forced to set an unwanted point to begin an ortho line segment, one could delete it later in point select mode.

But it does make sense that if you right click (to gravity snap) while holding shift while in a drawing command then the resulting action should remain constrained.

Just sayin.

bd

PS:  This is a minor item for which there are many workarounds. But it is an operation that is performed so often during the course of a drawing, that even this little improvement would likely yield significant (if not big) gains in productivity.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:01:41 PM by bdeck »