Author Topic: Display bug  (Read 467 times)

Dr PR

Display bug
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:49:53 AM »
V27.0x64 27-Feb-18
Win 7 Pro 64

I have seen a problem with the display many times now while working in 3D GDI Wireframe view, and when I am working with a custom working plane (View/Working Plane/Set Working Plane).

I rotate the view with Set View by Drawing Center and then zoom in on a small detail part of the drawing. Then if I try to select an object by dragging a selection rectangle with the cursor, the view suddenly shifts to the original orientation after assigning the new work plane. The new XY plane is parallel to the screen (perpendicular to the line from the View Point to the View Center). The part of the drawing I had zoomed in on disappears and the area around the last assigned View Center is displayed.

This is not user friendly!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

Re: Display bug
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »

Do you have the View Toolbox open? If so your windows would always want to be their 'default' viewing angle and projection. I don't know how this affects working planes. I stopped using working planes when I discovered that it causes all my 3D hatch angles to become zero.

Close the View Toolbox and see if that helps.

Lar

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »
Lar,

I do have the View Toolbox open - and have for decades. I use the Perspective display. I have created custom working planes innumerable times over the years. They greatly simplify drawing off-axis objects.

I haven't seen this particular display problem in any version prior to V27.0 (2018).

Phil

Lar

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:51:23 AM »
Does closing the View Toolbox help? This isn't a bug. From what I figure it's was an attempt to settle new users who were use to 3D software who's non-perspective windows could not be changed. Eg, say in the window that dcad named 'Top' you change the view somehow. The view will (may) remain changed as long as you stay within that window. However, once you activate another window then come back to this window it will go back to the top view. With some of my view changing macros it changes back immediately.

When it reverts the View Previous command will normally get your view back. Closing the View Toolbox is the only cure. This has been happening since at least the previous version and I suspect the version before that. It took a version for me to realize it wasn't just a glitch.

There's actually another part to this issue: if the view toolbox is not docked you cannot change the view using the dropdown preset view list. Since my toolboxes are never docked it became a real problem. I mention the issue in a post somewhere and someone suggested I dock the view toolbox. That helped and since then I had the view toolbox on my watch list. If I find that post it will show the date I first thought it was a bug. It took some more time for me to realize it was intentional and not a bug.

I actually created a custom toolbox with most of the stuff that is in the view toolbox so I don't have to open the view toolbox too often. The only reason I open it now is because when using the view changing arrows you can just hold down the mouse button and the view will continuously orbit (since Y is slow in shaded modes because it calculates for everything that is on and not just what is visibly zoomed in on). In my custom toolbox I have to continuously click my arrow button (I have a macro to fix that now but sometimes I can't get it to stop exactly when I need it to).

Lar
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:56:50 AM by Lar »

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
Lar,

I never change the views in the top, side and front windows. Sometimes I do zoom in and back out, but they always have the default views.

I always work in the main window, and I almost never change from the Perspective view. I do rotate the view, zoom in/out, and pan with the scroll bars, but I never change from the Perspective view.

I never use the View Toolbox up/down arrows or the cameras with arrows (pan, rotate?). I don't even know what these do, and I have been using the program since 1987!

I almost never use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out or pan.

The View Toolbox is always docked, and always visible. I do rarely (1 to 2 times a year) set specific view angles using the View Toolbox, and sometimes change the View Distance.

I use the vc.d3m macro frequently. This is the only way I ever change the View Center. I sometimes use "Set View by Drawing Center" after using "Fit to Window."

So if I understand your comments above, none of them apply. The views in the window are always the default views.

The problem only occurs in the main window, using the Perspective view, and when I am working in a custom Working Plane.

I will try closing the View Toolbox

NOTE: This may have something to do with the vc.d3m macro. It first sets the View Center with "Set Viewer Points" and then executes "Set View by View Center."

Where does "Set Viewer Points" place the View Center - in which coordinate system? Does it use the current custom Working Plane or the default Working Plane? If the View Center is not set relative to the custom Working Plane all bets are off where the zoom and set view functions will place the view.

To be continued ...

Phil

Lar

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
1] "Set Viewer Points" are set by the user. The 1st point sets the focal point (where the viewer orbits around when using the "Y" command). The 2nd point is optional and sets the viewer location and distance.

2] Each window has its own focal point. In all my years using dcad I have never determined exactly where the focal point of a new drawing is. I just tried to find out and closest I can tell it's at 0,0, 10'. I have no idea where it starts out at when you change the working plane but you can just set it anywhere, and like I said, you can set different focals in each window in 3d mode. 

3] Zooming and focals have nothing to do with each other except that when you set a focal it comes to the center of the window, so you can bring invisible parts of the drawing (parts cut away by the camera cutting planes) into view by starting the "Set Viewer Points" command, snapping the first point in an invisible part and pressing enter to end the command.

4] Focals are saved with the drawing.

5] The "Set View By View Center" command
(aka "Y") orbits around the focal already set in the window (so the 'View Center' is what I am now calling the 'focal')

6]
The "Set View By Drawing Center" command is a convenience that sets the focal at the center of everything that is on right then and then allows you to orbit around that point. It works just like the "vc.d3m" macro except that it sets the focal only at the drawing center. With vc the user can set it anywhere.

What I do when I want to walk thru a model is snap a focal on an object of interest then use Y (or the arrows in the View Toolbox) to orbit around that object.  Then I snap a new focal at an object near the edge of the screen. That object comes to the center and I orbit around that for a while, then I snap a new focal at the new edge to center and orbit, and so on...

Lar
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:08:22 PM by Lar »

Dr PR

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »
AHA!

Any time I assign a new custom working plane the "main" window is changed to the "side" view and not the "perspective" view that I normally work in. BUG!

However, the orientation of the view doesn't actually change - showing the same rotation as with the original working plane perspective view.

I just noticed this when creating a new working plane.

This may have something to do with the problem reported earlier. It seems that when I zoom after changing to the custom work plane the view moves and rotates to the "side" view.

This doesn't always happen just this way, so I'll have to keep watching it. But switching the "main" window to the "side" view probably has something to do with it.

Phil

Dr PR

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
The problem occurs when working with a custom working plane.

If I switch "focus" from the main window to one of the three side windows, and then change back to the "main" window, the display in the "main" window changes to the "side" view from the "perspective" view.

This is very repeatable.

Phil