Author Topic: Multiple monitors  (Read 333 times)

Dr PR

Multiple monitors
« on: April 10, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »
I have resisted trying to use multiple monitors on my win 7 system. But my old Vista machine finally encountered the true death* (disk drive) and I have a spare monitor.

I have set up the dual displays on my Nvidia card and in windows 7, and it is working.

In DesignCAD V27.0x64 27 Feb 2018 (DesignCAD 3D MAX 2018) I can drag manu bars and tool boxes from the main screen to the secondary screen.However, I cannot drag the drawing windows to the secondary screen.

I would like to put the three small (front, top and side) windows on the secondary screen so the main window can be maximized on the primary screen.

Any ideas how to do this?

Phil

* The old machine will likely be resurrected as a Linux system with a new hard drive.
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

Re: Multiple monitors
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »

The terminology used below may not apply exactly to Win7, you will have to use the best equivalent...

1] The displays must be 'extended' (as opposed to 'duplicated') and the 2 displays be side-by-side (not one above the other) and have the diagram of the 2 screens in the display dialog match the physical arrangement of your real monitors...

2] Un-maximize dcad (so it isn't full screen), put dcad in the outside-top corner of one of the screens and drag dcad's opposite corner across into the other screen, to the opposing-bottom corner (so dcad won't be true full screen, just fully stretched across both screen - also, if the two screens are not the same resolution then either a] part of dcad will not be visible in the lower resolution screen, or b] part of the background will be visible in the larger resolution screen, depending how how you stretch dcad. This also means cross-screen-dragging can only happen where there is screen to drag to - ie, when one screen is larger than the other you can't drag from the larger screen below (or above) the smaller screen).

3] Then adjust the drawing windows so that the main one is fully in one screen and the other smaller windows are arranged to your liking in the other screen.

Warning: If I remember correctly the dialog boxes will open only in the main window. The display setup dialog may have an option to switch which screen is the main one.

Lar
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:17:37 PM by Lar »

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
Lar,

Thanks.

I can drag dialog boxes (Show/Hide, Layers, etc.) to the secondary screen, and they work. Toolboxes also drag to the second screen and they work. This is outside the DesignCAD window. After I shut down DesignCAD and restart the dialog boxes open on the second screen where they were last opened. This all works as I expected.

Note: after I drag a tool box to the second window it disappears. But when I do something else with menus, tool boxes, etc. the missing tool box reappears on the second monitor. The tools work OK from the tool box after it reappears.

As reported elsewhere, the Info Box can be dragged to the second screen, but after the program is shut down and restarted the Info Box opens in the main screen, obscuring part of the drawing.

But I can't drag any of the drawing windows outside the main DesignCAD window - that's what I was trying to do. Your solution to stretch the DesignCAD window across the two monitors isn't appealing. The menus and toolboxes at the top of the DesignCAD window are broken across the two monitors. I am trying to keep these things at the same relative positions I am accustomed to around the main window, and just want to move the other views to the second screen so I can maximize the main window. Also, I want to arrange things so dialog boxes do not open and obscure the drawing window.

In Photoshop I can drag individual image windows back and forth between the two monitors without resizing the main Photoshop window. Dialog boxes, menus and tool bars also drag between windows and everything works OK. This lets me open a bunch of images and place them on the second screen while maximizing the working image on the main screen - with the menus and tool boxes positioned around the work area. I do like for some of the dialog boxes that I leave open all the time to be on the second screen, leaving the full working image visible on the main monitor while I am using the dialog boxes - that way none of the working image is obstructed by the dialogs.

The Photoshop dialogs don't cover the entire second monitor so I can keep folders open, have other programs running in the background, etc. without having to reduce the size of the main Photoshop window. I can resize each of the elements on the second monitor.

Phil

Note: V27.0x64 27-Feb-18
Windows 7 Pro 64

Lar

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »
You can drag the toolboxes and menu to rearrange them in one of the screens but you can't drag a dcad drawing window outside of the dcad main window. The closest thing to that would be to open 2 dcads, maximize each one in the different screens and copy and paste between the 2 but I doubt that would be desirable.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »
Seems the solution would be one BIG monitor..

But then we run into the hi-res issues that some people seem to have   :(
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
Lar,

What you suggest would work. But it wouldn't work well for me.

Typically, when I am working on small 3D files I have all four standard windows open (main, top, side, front). I could drag the DesignCAD window across both monitors and place the three small windows on the second monitor, and then rearrange all the menus, tool boxes, etc. so they were still on the first monitor with the main window.

But when I edit very large drawings I close the three smaller windows and maximize the main window. I do this because it may take 10-20 seconds to redraw a single window in a drawing with a million or more objects and all visible. If Point Select mode is enabled, and objects are selected, it will take another 10-20 seconds. This is frustrating enough with just the main window open, but it takes four times as long with all four windows open.

So I frequently switch between four drawing windows and a single maximized main window. Having the main window split across two monitors just isn't acceptable. Having to resize the DesignCAD window and reposition all the menus and tool boxes every time I switch is not acceptable.

As I have described MANY times before, DesignCAD redraws each window from two to five times every time any change is made to the drawing. You don't notice this with small drawings where it takes a small fraction of a second for a single redraw. But with larger drawings it becomes very noticeable, and then very annoying!

This is a gross BUG in my opinion! I suspect all of these repeated redraws were added because sometimes a single redraw failed to show everything, and rather than fix that bug the programmers just added additional redraws until everything was displayed correctly. This doesn't seem to happen in V15.0.001 11-Jun-04, so it was introduced in V16 or V17 - both versions introduced a lot of bugs.

Just changing the type of shading in the main window causes repeated redraws in the other windows, even though there has been no change to the drawing and the displays in those windows do not change. This is really bad programming!

I was hoping that RedSDK would eliminate these redraws, but apparently it does not. I haven't used RedSDK much because it doesn't generate smooth shading, but I think I noticed the multiple redraws during one test of a large drawing. I guess the screwed up code that causes the multiple redraws is also calling the RedSDK routines.

So for now it is effectively impossible to work with multiple drawing windows in large 3D drawings.

Phil

Lar

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »

So I frequently switch between four drawing windows and a single maximized main window. Having the main window split across two monitors just isn't acceptable. Having to resize the DesignCAD window and reposition all the menus and tool boxes every time I switch is not acceptable.
I minimize my extra windows, which seems to help when too many screens cause slowdowns. Other than that you can maybe save your 4-window-dual-screen setup using the Screen Config> Save... (file menu) then close the 3 small windows, leave the big one as is on the other screen and save that screen config to another name. Then call up either config as needed.

Lar

Dr PR

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 03:01:31 PM »
Lar,

What is "Screen Config" ??

I don't see it in any of the menus or options.

Phil

Lar

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »
File menu> Screen Configuration > Load... / Save...

Dr PR

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:37:45 PM »
Duh!

I looked right over it.

Thanks.

Phil