Author Topic: What's up with the forum, adding square bracketed stuff and other mess?  (Read 538 times)

Lar

The forum has gone bonkers and its about time somebody mentions it. At first I thought it was only me but every now and then I see it in other posts.

It always drops a line at the start of a posts, and if you drop a line to start a new paragraph it drops another one for good measure. Sometimes it drops a line in the middle of a sentence, sometimes in the middle of a word.

The biggest culprit is when you take a quote from another post, it puts a few lines of a square bracketed words here and there.

I always have to preview my post to see what weirdness the forum will add to my post, sometimes I can fix it then, most times I have to click post then modify to correct stuff. Sometimes you can't get it fixed at all., or it gets worse.

One thing I've learned is to get rid of the square bracketed stuff I have to cut the quote, paste it into Notepad, then paste it back into my message.

Lar
ps: see, I just previewed my post and I have standard blank first line and all my line feeds have been doubled...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:52:29 AM by Lar »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
I had not noticed any such changes

What browser are you using to access it?

I am using Seamonky (mozilla) and it seems to behave normally.
User since Pro-design

Lar

I use Edge mostly. I hardly use Chrome but I'm using it now to test....   .....    well, I grabbed a quote from you, Rob, previewed and posted, and now modifying (took away your quote)... so far no 'first line blank' and nor squared bracketed garbage, but I did get the extra line feed. I will have to test further as I do posts.
[/size]
[/size]I saw some of the garbage on some of DT's posts ([/size]and somebody else, can't remember who). When I come across one again I will view in both browsers to see if any differance. If  both display the same garbage I will post a link to it for you guys to view.

[/size]Lar
[/size]HOLD THE PHONE, I just previewed and am seeing garbage. I will post and not modify for you guys to view now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:18:36 PM by Lar »

Lar

Do you guys see the [\size] at the start of many of the lines in my post above? That's the square bracketed stuff I'm talking about (I switched the forward slash to a backslash so it don't run any code.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
I see it now that you've left it there for us to see!!!

I have never experienced any such remains in my posts.

so, may be browser related, not sure about that
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

I haven't seen it in my posts from Firefox.

I had a lot of problems with Edge and gave up on it.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

bdeck

Did you paste  "I saw some of the garbage...." from another document?

Lar

Did you paste  "I saw some of the garbage...." from another document?
I assume this is for me (plus I can test grabbing quotes)... [size=78%]I'm in Chrome now, so far the preview looks good... oops spoke too soon, plus a clue: the text after the 3 dots in this line were originally typed in what was to be the next paragraph. I did a preview then backspaced it to this line, where it immediately reduced in size. I previewed and saw the ]size=78%[ that is not in my text as I type but as you see it's in the post. I just previewed and the square brackets are still there but the text is the normal size (remember, it's tiny as I type)[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]In answer to bdeck's question, I might have started typing that post in Edge but copied and pasted to Chrome, can't remember exactly right now.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Funny thing is, for a long time on the many different laptops I've used over the years I if I make some text bold/italic/underline/etc I don't see the code-in-square-brackets stuff like I once did but I would actually see the text as I would look after posting. Now I'm seeing square bracketed stuff that I didn't put in myself. [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Lar[/size]
[/size][size=78%]ps: I'm still seeing the tiny text as I type and a preview just showed me a bunch of ]/size[ stuff. If it is the browser then it looks like Chrome is worse than Edge.[/size]
[/size]

Dr PR

Lar,

There are a bunch of buttons and options over the text box in the "post reply" screen. Do you have any of them selected?

I have only used the bold, italic and "change color" in my posts - they do insert the square bracketed control codes before/after the affected text, but the codes don't show up in the final post, just the text effects.

Do you have any of these selected?

Phil

Lar

I have only used the bold, italic and "change color" in my posts - they do insert the square bracketed control codes before/after the affected text, but the codes don't show up in the final post, just the text effects.

Do you have any of these selected?
This what I was trying to explain here:
.... I if I make some text bold/italic/underline/etc I don't see the code-in-square-brackets stuff like I once did but I would actually see the text as I would look after posting. Now I'm seeing square bracketed stuff that I didn't put in myself.
To clarify... in the beginning (2006, when this version of the forum began) if I highlighted some text and click the bold button, the control codes in the square brackets would appear around the highlighted text, but the text would not change appearance. However, sometime later, around... lets say 2010, I stopped seeing the control codes and would see the actual result of the control codes (this is in the page I'm composing on). I have changed many laptops since then but I have always been seeing the results of the code and not the code itself. Now the reverse has happened: code that I did not initiate is appearing not on the composing page but on the published page. ¡Muy strange!

Lar

Dr PR

Re: What's up with the forum, adding square bracketed stuff and other mess?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 06:08:21 PM »
This is a test.

The right most button - under the "Change Color" box, toggles the view to make the formatting code disappear from the text entry box. I just selected this option and the stuff in square brackets has disappeared from the text as I am writing this.

Now I will save the post and see if the formatting codes appear in the posted message.

Phil

PS: Edit - that wasn't the problem - the brackets formatting code did not appear in the final posted message.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:10:04 PM by Dr PR »

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
Re: What's up with the forum, adding square bracketed stuff and other mess?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »
I believe that you can only use size=xxpt and not 78%. For example:

Code: [Select]
[size=24pt]This 24pt size[/size]This 24pt size

Code: [Select]
[size=24%]This 24% size[/size][size=24%]This 24% size[/size]
Dempsey