Author Topic: I lost the latest modifications to a file (or - I thought I had)  (Read 441 times)

adriank

I do tend to rely on looking for the last modified date when I'm searching for my recent work / work in progress.
Typically I may have 3 or 4 versions of a design, all sort of current but each developing in a different way which I'd typically label file1, file2 etc. until I settle on the right design whereupon it gets relabeled 'file' and the others get dumped in a folder called 'Old'.

When I want to re-open the file I've been working on (it could be any of them) I sort by 'date' in the 'File/Open' menu & I open the one at the top. It's a system that has worked for me for 20 years.

Yesterday I panicked when I couldn't find the file I'd been working on - until I realized the 'date' column was displaying 'date created', not 'date modified'.

What puzzles me is that there are 3 column display options in the menu which can be turned on.
'Date', 'Date Created' and 'Date Modified'. Date & Date Created appear to be identical, so why have both?

This appears to be a changed default by Windows? Rather, I'm hoping that Windows changed it, otherwise it means I'm going mad.

Has anyone else had this issue? or gone mad?

Adrian

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: I lost the latest modifications to a file (or - I thought I had)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »
Just to confirm, this occurred in Windows explorer and not in the DCAD file open dialog, right?

As far as I know you can't customize the default columns in the DCAD file window - it always shows name, date modified, type, and size - correct?  I have tried to delete the type column, but it keeps coming back.

Windows explorer seems to store column and icon settings for every folder, and different settings again for music and pictures folders - ie date taken for pictures.  You can also reset the default view for all folders, so not sure to what extent that overrides previously stored folder-specific settings.

I think this has not changed too much since windows 7...at least not that I've noticed.

So barring some other explanation, could it be you changed the setting in some other folder to date created and somehow set this as your default?   Anyone else use the computer?  Any gremlins in the house?

I just checked and my Windows 10 offers all of the following columns for dates, and I've no idea what most of those mean - just goes to show what I (don't) know.

If this kind of thing is likely to drive you mad - which we would not want that to happen, right? - then maybe dig up the pencil and the T-square (I trust you still have those someplace) and see how that goes  :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:17:26 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
I recall seeing a similar problem recently on my Win 10 machine. Instead of the latest edit date for files I was seeing the date created. Over the years something like this has happened several times - always after a windows update. Now that Windows automatically updates whether you like it or not these changes come as an annoying surprise just when you are in a hurry to get work done.

Once upon a time you could tell Windows how you wanted your folders to appear, including the ability to make global changes for all folders, and whatever you assigned to a particular folder stuck with it. I haven't been able to do this in Win 8 and Win 10. Whatever I assign to a folder may or may not be the same the next time I open it. An I NEVER use any of Window's default "My crap" folders.

It seems the latest Microsoft programmers are a bunch of young morons who spend their entire lives punching buttons on cell phones and have absolutely no idea of what a computer is used for. In the rush to emulate the Apple model of making everything work at the moron level, making computers look like cell phones, such amenities as file structure and user defined appearances have been disappearing.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

adriank

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »
Hi Rob,
You can modify the columns in DCad with exactly the same options as Windows Explorer.
Just right-click on the column header and select 'More' to get the list you posted.
The only difference appears to be the order in which the columns are displayed.
In DCad it is: Name/Date Mod/Type/Size.
In Windows it's: Name/Type/Size/Date Mod.
TBH I'm not sure now if I was browsing in DCad or in Windows, but when I check I am seeing most of my folders display date Mod when I open it in DCad but some recently made folders on the desktop of my computer are showing 'Date'.
The folder that I had the issue with first now opens with 'Date' and 'Date Mod' displayed each time. (because I changed it)

Somehow, new folders had been created with the 'Date' column showing instead of the 'Date Mod' column. I'm the only one who uses this computer so it's not someone else, unless i have Sherman Klump hiding inside me.

After a little research online I have not found anybody who can explain what the 'Date' column actually shows. Apparently it changes by file type - it can (seemingly randomly) display date created, date modified, date accessed or date saved.

There is a moral to this story of course - keep taking the pills!
Adrian

adriank

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »
You are right Phil, and thank you for the reassurance it isn't all my fault!
I know my machine updated last week because it would not let me shut down (when I was late for a meeting) because it hadn't finished screwing it up!

There used to be the option to apply folder display settings to sub-folders, but that seems long gone. It would've been a good way to reset all my folders - I know it'll bite me again one day when I forget to check, but like Rob says, going back to a drafting machine is probably not an option.

Adrian

Rob S

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:20:05 AM »
Adrian

I agree I can modify it temporarily, but after closing and re-opening mine reverts to the default.

Does yours survive a shut-down???
User since Pro-design

Lar

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »

I think the 'Date Created' style defaults when media files (image, video, etc) are in the folder. Things like 'tag' and 'author' usually comes along with 'date created'. I'm not sure about 'date' but only recently have I been seeing it.

In case you don't know: you can rearrange the columns by dragging them;   the columns can all be filtered. Put the mouse over a heading and a down arrow will appear. Click the down arrow and a menu will drop. Click what you want displayed. The menu won't close until you press enter of click outside. When the menu closes a checkmark will appear in place of the down arrow, letting you know a filtering active. Repeat the process to un-check the stuff and remove the filter.

Lar

adriank

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
Rob,
When I first open DCad's 'Open' window (it still defaults to the default Documents/DCad folder because I've not bothered to change the target yet in 2018) it displays 'Date Modified', but as soon as I open one of my data folders it displays the settings I left it with yesterday.
My host folder opened with 'Date' and 'Date Modified' displayed this morning because I'd modified it yesterday. (and yes, I did shut my computer down last night)

When I open the same folders in Windows Explorer they all display 'Date' except one, which shows 'Date Modified'.

Lar,
Thanks for the tip about filtering - I'd never noticed that before.

Adrian

adriank

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:39:48 PM »
A quick update.
The host folder I'm using to test settings is saved on my desktop. It has 6 folders in it and one of those has 3 sub-folders.
The first time I opened my DCad browser and checked them this morning:
The host displayed Date and Date mod.
Of the 6 folders in it, 3 displayed Date & 3 displayed Date Mod.
Of the 3 sub-folders , 2 displayed Date, one displayed Date Mod.

I then shut my computer down & re-booted it, then checked again.

The host still shows Date & Date Mod.
5 folders now display Date, one displays Date mod. All the sub folders have reverted to Date.

In Windows Explorer all the folders have reverted to Date - except 1.

To summarize,
Windows & DCad's explorers both match except for the host folder which shows both date and date modified in DCad. Windows dropped the date modified.
One folder only has retained the 'Date Modified' instead of default 'Date' option.

It looks like I'll need to check it every time I open a date-sensitive file.

Rob S

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
Well, ah'l be durned.

This morning, using windows 10 on my laptop, when I make changes to the displayed columns in the DCAD file open dialog, the changes DO survive the closing and re-opening of Designcad.  Settings can be different for different folders.   This did NOT work for me previously.  I have not yet tried a windows restart.

However, strangely enough, these settings seem to stick separately for each version of Designcad.  ie I can have different settings for the same folder for DCAD 2o16 than for DCAD 2o18 and separately again for windows explorer by itself - go figure.

Changing the settings in Windows explorer does not seem to affect the settings in either version of Designcad.

Adrian - does your host folder actually contain any files, or just the subfolders?   If so the column headings for a folder with no files in it might be different...
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 09:23:17 AM »
Yes Rob,
It's got a bunch of DCad files, JPGs, Excel files and a Word doc in it.

I've also observed that DCad's explorer will remember the settings for displaying large, small icons, list or details etc whereas Windows explorer keeps defaulting (annoyingly) to a medium icon setting.

All very annoying but probably better than the old plan drawers we used to use...

Adrian