Author Topic: 2018.2 update  (Read 241 times)

adriank

2018.2 update
« on: February 28, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »
I have just installed the latest update, posted by Zunair Attif, which has fixed the mis-naming of angles. Thank you.

I notice that in the DCad ID flash-window the release number is not getting updated for either of the latest 2 updates - it still records the version as '27.0' although it does modify the release date.
I must say IMSIs latest version numbering system is confusing to put it mildly - why is the latest version referred to as V2018 and V27 simultaneously? (on the same flash-screen even) I know of at least one instance of V18 being installed in error because of confusion with the name change.

From a marketing point of view if you continue to name a product by it's year of release (in this case the year after the year of release) you are absolutely limiting the possibility of releasing new product to a maximum of one per year & that just doesn't seem logical to me.

Adrian

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: 2018.2 update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
I fondly remember the good old days when Designcad used to release an update just about every time they managed to fix a bug, and that was VERY beneficial and encouraging to those people who experienced and reported those bugs.  Unfortunately IMSI kiboshed all that and limited the updates to one or two only, no matter what was discovered and when.

This new team seems to be responding to many of our concerns, acknowledging the issues, and trying hard to get out some updates whenever they can fix a few things.

I for one am quite willing to live with release date only for identification for the benefits of more frequent interim bug-fix releases!!!

V27 was very much supposed to become V2017, but the time passed, and by the time it got released it became V2018!!   Windows did the same thing went directly from 8 - 10, maybe there is some superstition involved in that I don't know.

Call it what you like, as long as it works!!!

User since Pro-design

adriank

Re: 2018.2 update
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
Hi Rob,
I do agree with you that this new team do seem to be proactive and it's good they are releasing fixes on the fly.
I think they could remove the 'Version 27.0' from the splash screen  altogether so I'll be running 'V2018/27-Feb-18'.
That's a bit more of a mouthful whenever the question of 'what version are you using' comes up, but it will avoid me thinking the update hadn't installed when it actually had!

My point about the folly of naming a product by it's release date is - if they find the magic pill to fix RedSDK next month and want to release a new version, what are they going to call it?
I know that's just wishful thinking, I guess we'll cross that bridge (albeit without a troll lurking under it) when we get to it...