Author Topic: Image not saved with drawing  (Read 601 times)

byanez

Image not saved with drawing
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »
I am using DesignCAD v25.0. I load a jpeg into the drawing, but when I save the drawing and open it again, the jpeg is not in the drawing anymore. Is there a way to keep the image file in the drawing?

Thanks.

Dr PR

Re: Image not saved with drawing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:48:01 PM »
I have saved drawings with JPEG images numerous times - in just about every version - and they are always in the drawings when I open them later.

I can't think of much that would cause the images to be lost except accidentally deleting them, or deleting the layer they are on.

One possible issue could be image size, if your machine didn't have enough RAM to hold the JPEG file. But if you have enough RAM to view the image after importing it into DesignCAD this shouldn't be an issue.

Are you using a 32 bit or 64 bit version of DesignCAD? The 32 bit versions are limited to file sizes around 60-75 megabytes. I have worked with 750 megabyte files in theb64 bit version.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

adriank

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »
I remember there was an issue with one version of DCad where the image detail is lost when the drawing closes - only the outline box remains from my memory.
IMSI fixed it with an update patch so I suggest you try to find and install the latest update for your version - it should be here:
https://www.turbocad.com/content/designcad

Adrian

Shaheryar Rafiq

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »
I am using DesignCAD v25.0. I load a jpeg into the drawing, but when I save the drawing and open it again, the jpeg is not in the drawing anymore. Is there a way to keep the image file in the drawing?

Thanks.

CNR.

Image loading and saving successfully. I'm loading image through File > Image > Load Image file. May be you can share the Jpeg file you are having issue with so that we can look into it?
SQAE
IMSIDesign

Lar

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 06:49:03 AM »
byanez,

Did you load the image as 'reference only'? If so, then maybe you deleted, renamed or moved the source image. This would mean the image's *container* is still in the file but it is empty.

If this is the only image in the drawing you can check the Selection Filter to see if 'Bitmap' is listed (on the left side). If it is, double click it so it goes on the right side then click the 'New Selection' button (with Point Select Mode on). The empty image container's points will become visible (assuming its layer is on and editable). If there are other images then they will all be selected but one of the set of points will be empty.

If this is the case then when you opened the file a 'browse missing item' dialog should have opened - assuming you have 'browse missing stuff' enabled in Options>General tab. If it isn't enabled then enable it, reopen the drawing and if the browse dialog opens then browse for the image.

If the empty bitmap is there and you can't find the image (ie, you probably deleted it) then it's best to delete the empty bitmap and recreate then reload the image (maybe not as reference only, so the image in the drawing will be independent of the source image... but if you edit the image it won't automatically update... but you would have to close and reopen the drawing to see the update).

--------------------------

If the Selection Filter did not have 'Bitmap' listed then you must have somehow deleted the image or did a series of Undoes that undid the loading of the image. I can remember way, way back cases of loading an image causing the source image to disappear off the hard drive (I never figured out why that use to happen but I think it was addressed by the programmers) but I can't remember a loaded image being absent from a drawing upon reopening.

Lar

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
In case anyone is still wondering, the bug which caused larger tif files to become invisible fixed in the update appears to have been in V26, (2016) so probably not applicable here

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=6754.msg48531#msg48531
User since Pro-design

byanez

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. The file I loaded is a tiff, not jpeg as I originally said. I do have the 64 bit version loaded. I will try all your suggestions, or just get v2018.

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »
Rob is correct. A few versions ago, we switched libraries used to process raster graphics, and a new file size limit somehow snuck in at that time. This was increased in the 2016.1 or 2016.2 patch -- the new size limit is larger for 64-bit than for 32-bit.
25 years with DesignCAD