Author Topic: Problem importing DWG file  (Read 244 times)

DCdosuser

Problem importing DWG file
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:39:34 AM »
I have been working with DWG files produced by a PME Consultant by importing them into DesignCAD 2016.  The consultant did not create the base sheet (floor plan layout), but received it from someone else.  We don't have access to the original files.  I spent a lot of time on the new drawings, but didn't realize that all along there was a huge problem.  I always look at the resulting DWG file before forwarding it.  When it came time to send it to the PME Consultant I opened it with eDrawings.  What showed up was totally different from what showed up in DesignCAD.  It had very large text spread out all over the floor plan.  I could not select any of this text to delete it because eDrawings is only a reader.  So I went back to my DesignCAD file to look for it.  I turned on all of the layers one by one and could not find it.  When the DWG file is open in eDrawings the majority of the text disappears when I turn off layer 0, and the rest goes away when turning off layer 1.  The only way I can get rid of the text is to open the DCD file with DesignCAD 17 and then exporting.  The problem with that is that a lot of other crucial info is also missing.  I suspect that this is due to the consultant's AutoCAD software being much newer than DC 17.  My consultant says "The large text appears to be part of the blocks used for the doors."  I don't know what that means since I don't own AutoCAD.
See attached printscreen.  What can I do?
- Thanks ahead

Lar

Re: Problem importing DWG file
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »

I remember experiencing this type of problem many years back. I can't remember what the exact cause was and if I came up with a solution but I suspect they may be attributes in blocks that came with the base acad file. You may have to 'purge unused blocks' when you first import into dcad.

Lar

DCdosuser

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:40:02 PM »
Thanks Lar  -
I wasn't able to do exactly what you suggested, but I did click SETUP after clicking IMPORT and selecting the DWG file.  Then I checked EXPLODE BLOCKS and SKIP ALL MISSING XREFS.  I didn't see anything like "purge unused blocks."  The important thing is that it worked.  Finally I was able to see the super large text that was covering the floor plans, and was able to delete them one by one.  I then exported back to DWG and this time the text did not show up when I opened the DWG with eDrawings.  Prior to this I didn't even realize that there were options when importing a DWG.

Lar

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:20:42 PM »

'Purge unused blocks' is a command in the Tools menu, so you can't do it until the file is open in dcad. Looks like it wasn't the dead on correct advice but it put you on the right scent for you to sniff out want to actually do.

Lar

adriank

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:05:17 PM »
The purge command is a very useful one to know about and use though.
As Lars said, it's in the tools dropdown menu (red arrow on the attached screenshot)
I've had files that have been reduced in size by up to 80% by getting rid of unused blocks in drawings I've been sent.
It seems some ACad users have all the blocks the have ever used loaded into every drawing they start!

The issue of oversize text is something I run into a lot & it happens when I resize a drawing I've been sent that has blocks in it.
Typically I work in 'metres' but if I get a file drawn in 'inches' & I change the scale so I can measure things in metric the text blowout will happen.

Lar

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:12:25 AM »
It seems some ACad users have all the blocks the have ever used loaded into every drawing they start!
Truer words...

Typically I work in 'metres' but if I get a file drawn in 'inches' & I change the scale so I can measure things in metric the text blowout will happen.
Thank you Adrian. One less mystery I have to live with.
Lar
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:16:34 AM by Lar »