Author Topic: Problem selecting other objects in Point Select Mode (SOLVED)  (Read 603 times)

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
Problem selecting other objects in Point Select Mode (SOLVED)
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
v25.2, 2016 (V26.2) and 2017/2018 have an old selection problem. 64-bit versions. Same problem in REDSDK mode.

I have an object selected. I decided to select other object(s) instead by left-click an dragging a box around the desired objects. The other objects are selected just fine.

However, when I do the same in Point Select Mode it does not work.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:23:45 PM by Dempsey »
Dempsey

Lar

Re: Problem selecting other objects in Point Select Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »

In point sel mode, when no command is active and something is already selected, dragging defaults to highlighting points, not selecting entities. Even when there are no points in the area you dragged. To drag select objects when something is already selected you have to turn pt sel mode off.

What I did was set a hotkey for pt sel mode so I can turn it on and off quickly.

Lar
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:20:37 AM by Lar »

Dempsey

• World of van Vliet
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
Hi Lar,

I know: turn Point Select OFF, drag select and turn Point Select ON works.

My question remains is this an undesired feature or a bug?

In my opinion it is a bug, but I can live with it; there are more important things that needs fixing.
Dempsey

Lar

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:30:26 PM »

I don't see it as a bug. It was just a decision the developers came to. Like their decision to clear all the highlighted points when you undo something. I don't see why the points have to be cleared but hey, I can't do anything about it.
At least turning off pt sel mode don't clear any points already highlighted.

Maybe they can make it so to select something in pt sel mode you hold alt and drag.

Lar

adriank

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »
I use drag-select in point select mode all the time - it's one of the primary benefits of point-select mode.

If you drag a selection box round specific points it changes them to solid blue instead of hollow blue point IDs and then you can manipulate all of them together by moving or deleting them as a group.
You can still add to the selection group in point select mode by holding the shift key & selecting additional objects, you just have to click on each object individually. When I know in advance I'll be needing to add a bunch of stuff to my selection in point-select I tend to temporarily group them before hand so I can select them when I need them with one click.

Adrian

Dempsey

• World of van Vliet
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
Aha, I didn't realize that drag select has a special function when in point select mode. In that case the developers should have made it special by using ALT drag select and leave the general drag select function as is.  Ah, well, hind sight is 20-20.

Dempsey

Dr PR

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:38:05 PM »
Actually, Point Select Mode has no purpose other than selecting some of the points in an object. There is no other reason to enable it. Drag select allows selection of multiple points in a single action. This cannot be done by clicking the mouse button to select multiple points. After selecting a single point the next mouse click moves it.

The only way to deselect a selected point is to drag select around it.

The ability to drag select multiple points is one of DesignCAD's most useful features - I use it all the time. It is especially useful for stretching planes or solids to make them align with other objects. I have already used it dozens of times today in the project I am working on.

While in Point Select Mode you can use Shift plus left mouse button to select additional objects (not points). But be careful, because Shift click will also select points! And if you select a point that is a handle on one object it serves as a handle for moving all selected objects (not just the point).

I suppose an ALT drag function could be added to allow drag selecting multiple objects - and not select points. This would be useful because you may sometimes want to move some points in one object and other whole objects by selecting a single point or group of points in the first object and then dragging one point to move all selected objects or points.

However, there is a problem here. The only purpose of Point Select Mode is to drag selected points. Even though you may have used ALT drag to select a bunch more objects the points in those objects will not be selected. You would still have to use normal drag select to select the points in the additional objects you want to move. Just selecting the objects without selecting the points will not, should not - MUST NOT move unselected points.

There is one additional problem. After you have selected a line or a plane if you click near it you add a new point to the object. If you have multiple lines or planes selected it is anyone's guess which object will get the new point when you click. My guess is that it will be the last of the objects created.

Point Select Mode has a default hot key CTRL-1 to toggle the mode on and off. It is extremely easy to switch between modes for selecting multiple objects (Point Select Mode off) or multiple points (Point Select Mode on) with the drag select. I really see no need for an additional drag function to select multiple objects within Point Select Mode.

Phil

DesignCAD user since 1987

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »
Ageed.

No need for any fixing here.
User since Pro-design

Lar

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »

I really see no need for an additional drag function to select multiple objects within Point Select Mode.
I too agree with Phil since it is so easy to toggle on/off (and I got rid of using the ctrl key so its even easier for me). But, using alt+drag to select additional objects actually saves 2 key stroke since: now you would have to toggle off then hold shift and drag then toggle back on; with alt you just hold alt and drag. I'm sure there would be a raging debate about whether the alt+drag should be for selecting extra objecs or extra points. My vote would be for extra objects since we more often would need to highlight points than select additional objects.

Actually, Point Select Mode has no purpose other than selecting some of the points in an object. There is no other reason to enable it.
Point Sel Mode has numerous uses. You can add or remove points, break lines, extend an endpoint of a line without changing the angle of the segment, which also allows you to locate the endpoints in a closed line. It's also convenient for performing certain tasks without having to call up the normal command, with the benefit of additional abilities. Eg, you can move objects from a point other than its handle, you can move objects along the x, y or z axis with ortho mode on, things move easier when moved from selected points rather than from its handle, you can perform many of the trimming tasks without calling up the specific trim command.. and the many other tricks not coming to mind right now.

After you have selected a line or a plane if you click near it you add a new point to the object. If you have multiple lines or planes selected it is anyone's guess which object will get the new point when you click.
This isn't an issue because when more than one object is selected, adding or removing points is not allowed. In fact, I use this as a trick when I want to shift+click+select something so near to the already selected that dcad keeps trying to add a point. I first select something far away, then select the near item (then deselect the far item if necessary).

The only way to deselect a selected point is to drag select around it.
You can deselect points by selecting other points without holding shift, or by ctrl+dragging the points.

Lar
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:38:28 AM by Lar »

bdeck

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
Hi Dempsey,

I do all my work in point select mode.

If I understand your OP correctly, I accomplish what you are describing by left clicking in an open area (to deselect the existing selection) and then  dragging the new selection. (this appears to be the method you describe )

If I want to do multiple selections, I use the "S" macro. (DC's OR-select for overlapping areas is a mess)

As best I can tell, the functionality you describe has not changed.

Regards,
BD
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:58:00 AM by bdeck »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 08:39:03 AM »
One thing I don't see mentioned above, even with ps mode active it is easy to select additional items using shift-click.

In a complex 3D drawing, where you often risk getting the wrong item by just clicking, I use shift and right-click (gravity-snap) near an actual point on the desired object to improve my chances of getting the right one.  Unfortunately this does not work for de-select in ps mode :(

Normally for ps mode operations, I only want to operate on one or at most a few specific objects at a time.

I question how often anyone would really need a drag-select function to select a large number of additional objects for a PS mode operation.

In fact I usually operate with ps mode on, because I find it handy to see all the points of the objects I am working with, and only rarely find myself needing drag select after the original selection is made.

ps BDECK - what is the S macro???

pps - your idea of deselect and try again only works if what you want fits in one single rectangle.  I think others are thinking of a situation where you need to select two distinct and maybe separate rectangle's worth of objects - not a common situation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:43:24 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

bdeck

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »
ps BDECK - what is the S macro???

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=322.msg8038#msg8038

pps - your idea of deselect and try again only works if what you want fits in one single rectangle.  I think others are thinking of a situation where you need to select two distinct and maybe separate rectangle's worth of objects - not a common situation.

In the OP Dempsey appears to simply deselect with a left click, and try again with area select.

The only way I know to add an area selection to an existing selection in point select mode is with the "S" macro.  (I do it routinely)

The only way I know to select two overlapping areas in ANY mode without making a mess is with the "S" macro. (I do it routinely)

In point select-mode I use the S macro to avoid inadvertently clicking a new point into a previously selected object.

Best Regards.
BD
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:33:59 AM by bdeck »

Dr PR

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
Lar,

You are right. I should have said point Select Mode has no purpose except to manipulate points - but you do have to select a point(s) first.

I had forgotten that selecting a point will deselect any other selected points, although I do that occasionally.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 09:46:46 AM »

I question how often anyone would really need a drag-select function to select a large number of additional objects for a PS mode operation.
With me there is no limit up or down, sometimes a very few extras, sometimes a few, sometimes many, sometimes a great many...

One thing I haven't hear mentioned so far is ctrl+shift+drag, to drag select stuff that is not completely in the selection rectangle, so as to not touch and deselect something already selected. In the alt scenario we may have to alt+ctrl+shift+drag. Sill feasible, I'd say.

Lar

Dempsey

• World of van Vliet
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »
I seldom use Point Select Mode. This time I did, had the wrong object, wanted to select the correct object with drag select and it did not work. That was all.

Sorry folks for waking you all up :). I stand corrected. NO change is needed  ;D

Dempsey