Author Topic: Problems with Dropbox  (Read 510 times)

whodean

Problems with Dropbox
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »
When I load and then subsequently save a file in Dropbox, the file disappears (it is deleted!).  I still have the .bak file fortunately but the .dcd is deleted if you make changes to the drawing.  It deletes the file when you exit the application...very bizarre.

This happens on both my Windows 7 PC and my Windows 10 laptop.

I am using DesignCAD 3D Max 2018 64-bit version.

Lar

Re: Problems with Dropbox
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »

Are you saying you open a drawing directly from Dropbox, make changes, then save it directly to Dropbox? If so, is that the normal method with Dropbox?

I guess I'm ol' school... I would copy it to my hard drive, work on it, save it, then copy it back to Dropbox.

So are you saying the problem is with Dropbox or Dcad?

Lar
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:59:10 AM by Lar »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
I get the feeling from reading online that dropbox creates a folder on your harddrive for the files to by synced to the "cloud service" - this guess needs to be confirmed.

Thus, if you save a file directly into this local folder, it should remain there, but a copy of it would be synced the remote location.

Not sure how it works if that file is set up for sharing with other "team" members - do they open directly from drop-box remote location and save there?

Anyway, I think the issue is with Drop-box, and not dcad.

I am (also old school) highly suspicious of any cloud anything, and prefer local backups.   If I want someone else to get a copy, I will send it to them directly.
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 01:29:47 PM »
You have two options with DropBox - or at least you did a few years ago.

1. Use DropBox as another virtual hard drive out there somewhere in the "cloud." You read and write just like a hard drive on your computer, but much slower. You can give others the password to your folder so they can transfer very large files.

I had a DropBox folder that I used just to transfer large files to people whose email account limited file transfer sizes. After the transfers I deleted everything from that folder.

2. Establish a DropBox folder on your computer and have DropBox automatically clone it in the "cloud." Every time you start up or at least periodically DropBox will bring your local DropBox folder up to date with what is in the "cloud" - synchronizing the two.

I am Treasurer for a non profit and we have a DropBox account. I set up the auto synchronizing mode. We had several people posting to the virtual folder and a lot of files accumulated. Many were just documents and data sent between folks working on other projects that did not involve me. Every time I started the computer DropBox hijacked it for up to 10-15 minutes while transferring files between my machine and the virtual folder. The longer we used DropBox the more files there were and the longer it took to "synchronize!" It was incredibly annoying! If I just wanted to send a short email or check the weather I had to wait and wait until I got control of the computer.

I deleted DropBox from my computer.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

whodean

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:59:53 PM »
The problem is definitely with DCAD, not Dropbox.  I read another post about how DCAD does something unusual when you close a file. (see: http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=6305.msg45357#msg45357).

You can actually watch it.  I can have my Dropbox folder open and be editing the drawing.  I can save it (fortunately it creates a back-up) and then when I close the file, the file is deleted (it disappears immediately from the folder).  I can go into Dropbox Deleted Files folder on the Dropbox website and there it is.  Clearly this is DCAD causing the file to be deleted (particularly if you read the above post which indicates that DCAD does some funny things when you open, edit and then close a file). 

I think it is pretty poor that you can't use a cloud based file system.  Or at least DCAD puts you in jeopardy of losing all your work if you do.   

I have used Dropbox for years and never seen this issue/behavior with any other application (and I have used 50+ applications with Dropbox including other CAD software). 

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 08:54:28 AM »
Interesting in the thread you have linked, the last post by DT indicates that the issue was at least somewhat corrected in V25.1, and there have been no further mention of this issue until now yourself using V2018 (V26)

I wonder if the fix was lost in the progression from 25.1 to 26 somehow.

Does anyone have V25.1 and dropbox to test with to see if there is any difference??
User since Pro-design

whodean

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:11:39 AM »
It is something that has been happening recently.  I have used DCAD with Dropbox for years (I have been a DCAD user since the early 90s).  I was on version 23 and I didn't experience this issue. 

So, it must be something that has been introduced more recently.

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
This *was* a very repeatable problem with older versions of DesignCAD; as far as I know it was fixed circa 25.x and hasn't changed since.

Are you sure this is occurring with version 2018, and not a previous version?  I can't seem to reproduce this problem with V2018, though I confess I am only checking in my local DropBox cache, not in a remote one.
25 years with DesignCAD

whodean

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »
Yes, positively using DesignCAD 3D Max 2018.

bdeck

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 04:30:38 PM »
I guess I'm ol' school... I would copy it to my hard drive, work on it, save it, then copy it back to Dropbox.

I agree with Lar. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Shaheryar Rafiq

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 11:13:04 PM »
When I load and then subsequently save a file in Dropbox, the file disappears (it is deleted!).  I still have the .bak file fortunately but the .dcd is deleted if you make changes to the drawing.  It deletes the file when you exit the application...very bizarre.

This happens on both my Windows 7 PC and my Windows 10 laptop.

I am using DesignCAD 3D Max 2018 64-bit version.
Confirm.

File gets deleted after closing the drawing (not DCAD) and shows in Online Dropbox Deleted Files directory. Reported to the development team. Reference video is attached inside .zip file.
DCAD 2018 3D Max Windows 10 Pro.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:53:51 PM by Shaheryar Rafiq »
Shaheryar Rafiq
SQAE IMSIDesign

whodean

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »
Thanks!  Glad to learn that you were able to replicate the problem and report it.