Author Topic: Object won't rotate  (Read 441 times)

merkelerk

Object won't rotate
« on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »
I have upgraded to the 2018 version. Now on occasion, I will try to rotate a newly constructed object and it won't rotate.
All other objects in the drawing still rotate fine but not the new one.
This never happened in all of my previous versions (I have been upgrading DesignCAD 3D since it came out on 5.25" floppies).
If I open the drawing in an older version, that one particular object still won't rotate. In drag mode, it will rotate on the screen but as soon as I release the mouse button, it snaps back to its unrotated state. If I uncheck drag mode and type in the rotation angle, nothing happens.
I can draw another object and it will rotate fine while the previous object stubbornly refuses to cooperate.
IMSI Tech people could not help although they tried.

Lar

Re: Object won't rotate
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Can you upload the object so we can check it out?

merkelerk

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:25:35 PM »
I made a copy of the offending part and pasted into a new drawing (see attached).
Of course, now it rotates easily but when it does, it makes a copy of itself in the new location.
The copy and the original become one solid.
The make copy checkbox is not checked yet it still makes a copy.

Lar

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »

I can't say why it refuse to rotate on your computer but I can offer a possible explanation for the cloning:
Somehow you duplicated the solid onto itself, then somehow you made one of them a Solid Surface (after it was mistakenly duplicated you might have called up the Solid Surface command and since only one would have been selected that one became the S/S)... THEN, somehow you Solid Defined both of the into a single Solid (you might have box-selected of Ctrl+drag+selected what you thought was a single *solid* then invoked the Solid Define command).

To test this do the rotation so you get the *cloning* then use the Selection Filter (with nothing else in the file). In the Entity Type tab only "Plane" and "Solid Surface" would be listed (note that "Solid" is not an entity type).  Now, double click Solid Surface so it goes on the right side and try to select the object. It will not be selected. Now click "Select Solids Only" to enable it (which would disable "Select by Entity Type") and try to select the object. It will be selected.

If you solid explode the total object you would be left with a collection of planes, ie, the S/S would be exploded as well so I can't tell if dcad rotated the S/S or the non-S/S.
One clue for you, though, is the un-rotated part is a dark red and the rotated part is tan colored.

More investigation is required but I'm out of time so will look into it sometime tomorrow or later.

Lar
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:15:10 PM by Lar »

merkelerk

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »
Thanks, I will try what you suggest.
I have always done rotations exactly the same way for many years...
select object (right click), select handle (usually right click unless I need an odd handle placement), alt-E-S-R
Then select axis and either drag mode or enter degrees.

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »
I believe Lar has the right idea -- the original drawing has two overlapping objects as one Solid Surface -- one set of facets is all black, the other is all yellow. To solve the issue, explode it, use the Selection Filter's color tab to select and move or delete all pieces of one color, then select the pieces of the other color, define as a solid, and convert back to solid surface.

A visual indication that it's two overlapping set of surfaces can be obtained by using Hidden Line Removal in GDI mode -- areas that appear to be crosshatched are due to overlapping surfaces.
25 years with DesignCAD

Lar

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 08:18:20 AM »
DT, do you have any idea why only one of the conjoined duo would rotate? I tried other commands (move, copy and scale) and they did it as one.

Merlelerk, any idea how you created the situation.

... one set of facets is all black, the other is all yellow ...
The two colors I get when they are Solid Exploded is yellow_255,226,115 and red_213,0,0 (ie, no black, as per DT).

Lar

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
Nope, no idea -- it's weird all over...
25 years with DesignCAD