Author Topic: DesignCAD 3D Max 2018 opens older files in Read Only  (Read 282 times)

AndyPitts

DesignCAD 3D Max 2018 opens older files in Read Only
« on: February 16, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »
I've used DC since it was owned by American Small Business Machines in Norman, OK (a very long time) and have never had the issue I am having with Ver 2018. I just installed it and when I open files from Ver 2016 they open in Read Only mode. I uninstalled and reinstalled three times, deleting any file I could find on my hard drive relating to Ver 2018, and also in "All users" and "only me" modes. Also, I've looked at security settings for a file to make sure everyone could modify it, and still get the Read Only status. I'm using Windows 10. Has anyone else seen a problem like this, or have a hint on what I can do to remedy? Thanks.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: DesignCAD 3D Max 2018 opens older files in Read Only
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 07:21:27 PM »
I have not so far heard of anyone having this issue with V2018.

This should only happen normally if the same file is currently also open in V2016 or some other previous version.

You can try this if you have 2 versions of DCAD on the same computer.  Open a file in the one, and then try to open the same file in the other version.  It will come up as read only.

Just as a test to rule out other possibilities, can you confirm that the same file opens in any previous version of DCAD and does not come up read only?

Can you copy one of the desired files to some other folder and then try opening it in V2018 from this other folder?
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:58:32 PM »
I've never had a problem opening older generation files - I just experimented with files of various vintage and all opened normally.
Is the file you are opening stored on your hard disk, or some external media?
What happens when you attempt to 'save as' on your read-only file? Will it let you write to the folder the file is stored in?
Is the filename unusual? It could be that DCad can't cope with certain characters in the name. I sometimes get files (especially DWGs for import) that are saved with Thai characters in the name and I need to rename the file first before opening it...
If you attach a file you are having trouble with we can see if it behaves the same on other machines.
Adrian

AndyPitts

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the inputs. I tried "Save as" from V2018 and it said I did not have permission to save in my normal folder, but offered me the option to save in my User "Andy" folder. I changed the name and saved in the "Andy" folder and then reopened that file in V2018 and it was no longer Read Only. I then tried to save in the original folder and was denied permission, with the option again to save in the user "Andy" folder. So, I can now open my old files from V2016 as long as I go through the drill of saving to my user "Andy" folder. I'll have to think about what happened to change permissions. I think it has to have something to do with the V2018 installation. On my first try I think I selected "All Users" during the installation, then on the second try I selected "Andy". I'm thinking maybe something in the Windows registration is not changing on successive reinstallations, and that is keeping this problem from resolving. By the way, I have only V2016 and V2018 on this machine, and the file names are not unusual. The problem has been tested on three different files from different origin folders with the same Read Only result. But, at least I can get things working with the work around. Thanks for the help, especially the "save as" advice.

Lar

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »

I have seen this happen many times since way way back when dcad crashes, sometimes Windows would forever think the file was still open so any time I opened an affected file it would be read only. Even years later after changing computers. For those files back then I could never figured out why it happened. 

Then many years later when the 'hide/restore toolboxes' command was introduced I came up with a system of having tons of floating toolboxes open, all around the middle of the screen, with only a small part clear in the center of the main window. While working I would press my shortcut key (which my thumb was usually hanging over) to hide the toolbars. When I wanted to click a button I would hit the shortcut and all my toolboxes would open right in front of my eyes so any button was a short distance from where ever the cursor was at the time and I didn't have to turn my head to see it (22" monitor). Sometimes I would click a number of buttons in reverse sequence then hide the toolbars and work through the commands. This system worked pretty well except sometimes after switching away from dcad (with the toolboxes visible) and switching back there would be only a few toolboxes open. If the one I wanted to use right then was not visible I would right click on one that was open and pick the one I wanted from the menu that opened. Dcad would disappear from the screen. I would alt+tab to look for it but it would be gone. So I would reopen dcad and reopen the file but it would come up as read only. So I realized that the file was still registered with Windows as being open. 

After this happened a few times I decided to check the Task manager to see if dcad was still listed there. It would be, so I would 'end task' and if I remember correctly the file would not reopen as read only. Even later on I found out that minimizing then restoring dcad would make any missing toolboxes reappear so if I ever didn't see a toolbox that I felt should be visible I would minimize/restore to bring it back.

Even later still, after having enough of this disappearing dcad, I reasoned that since dcad would be still listed in Task Manager then it would still be open, just AWOL. By that time I also knew that once another program became active I would never recover that instance of dcad. So, when it next happened, first thing I did was nothing at all, to make sure no other program became the active one. I then hit alt, then F... and amazingly dcad's File menu opened. Knowing that when more that one drawing is opened in dcad I can do File>1 (or 2, or 3 or whatever the list number of the drawing I wanted to switch was) and the file would come to the front, I then pressed 1 and dcad reappeared, with the drawing just as I last saw it, but not full screen like how it was before it disappeared. I maximized but the missing toolboxes would still be missing so I still had to minimize/maximize to get them back.

After many years of using my hide/restore system I got quite proficient at alt, F, 1  whenever dcad did its disappearing act. But, for quite a while now I got so trusting of my instinct that a-toolbox-should-be-visible-when-it-isn't-so-do-the-min/max-thing, that I didn't have to use alt, F, 1 at all. Then... Yesterday happened. There I was, working at light speed, trying to start and complete a tiny project in one sitting... and then it happened. A toolbox I needed was not on screen so I opened it... and dcad was gone. Just like that. Only thing, this time at the same time dcad disappeared I inadvertently clicked the mouse and boom, that instance of dcad was forever lost, gone to another instance of dcad in some other dimension, where it probably poped up on some guys computer who I'm sure was ecstatic that his dry spell was finally over...

By this time I had totally forgot about the Task Manager thing but I was wary of the 'read only' thing so I crossed my fingers and wished upon Win10 - having faith that they actually fix things these days. I reopened dcad... and the drawing... and... no read only. Whew, Win10 had saved the day.

Lar
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:46:30 PM by Lar »

Rob S

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »
Now that is really testing the ability of Windows to handle many windows  :D

Maybe you could speed things up further by having a separate keyboard for your toes as well???

I normally find myself more limited by my ability to think up the next step in the drawing process, and not the ability to find the appropriate tool.

In fact much of my 2D drawing consists of laying down offset lines to create the spacing, and then trimming like mad for a while...
User since Pro-design

Lar

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »

Now that is really testing the ability of Windows to handle many windows  :D

Actually my many toolboxes put absolutely no stress on dcad. They hide and restore in a flash. The only snag is if they are docked then dcad has to rezise the drawing windows so there's that slight delay. But the fact that they are undocked solves that issue.

Maybe you could speed things up further by having a separate keyboard for your toes as well???

Now why didn't I think of that ;D

... and not the ability to find the appropriate tool.

For me it's all about minimizing turning of the neck during those long sessions, especially when up against a deadline. With the toolboxes right there in the drawing I don't have to turn my head to find something docked on the edge of the screen. Also, I arrange them so that frequently sequenced buttons are close together.
One time ago I would come away from a working binge with my neck felling like my head would fall off, but no more. Also, I don't always have every single toolbox open all the time. Most times just a few would be open, and like that I don't hide them as often.
But I don't use toolboxes exclusively. I use hot keys just as much. In fact my keyboard is just about booked out. For those commands that you can't apply a hotkey to or make a button for I use the alt, underlined menu letter, underlined command letter keyboard sequence. But with dcad a lot of the newer commands lack underlined letters so I am still forced to use the mouse every now and then.

and then trimming like mad for a while...
Since Point Select Mode was introduced I have used any of the trim commands maybe 10 times. The fact that the intersection commands mostly don't work in 3D is a pain though, forcing me to have to draw lines along one existing solid edges and Slice them along the other solid edge to find the intersection point.

Lar
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:34:54 AM by Lar »

Rob S

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
And the above is yet another example of the many ways Designcad can be used to accommodate different users needs in so many ways.

Still pretty hard to do trim between lines using point select mode?? 

Seems to me by locking the trim one line or trim two lines commands can be more efficient that point select mode, just two clicks for each intersection.
User since Pro-design

Lar

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »

I work in 3D so instead of trimming between lines, like for things behind a rail, I print with hidden view. Avoiding having to trim between rails is a big 3D motivator for me.

Lar

Rob S

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
Pardon our hijack here, none of the above is of any use if you can't get your drawings open!

I believe you may have hit upon the issue, when you installed for all users, each users files somehow get limited to their user files area.

Not much protection though if you can still open at all (read only) from other users areas.
User since Pro-design

AndyPitts

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
Found the problem! It was BitDefender anti virus blocking DCAD 2018 from changing files. Once I checked "allow" in BitDefender regarding DCAD 2018 file no longer opened in Read Only.