Author Topic: insert a pdf image  (Read 76 times)

Douglas

insert a pdf image
« on: February 08, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
What is the process to bring a pdf file into a DC drawing?
Just as an un-editable image.
I regularly print DC drawings to pdf for distribution, however it would be really helpful to know how to insert a pdf image into one of my drawings.
Failing that, whats the best way to convert a pdf into a jpeg, without having to print a hard copy and scan it back into the computer.
Thanks
DesignCad user since 1997

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: insert a pdf image
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:52:49 PM »
To do the conversion, easy way would be to take a screenshot of the pdf file.

Depending on what pdf software you have, you may be able to save an image file from it.
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:17 PM »
If you open the PDF in Acrobat Reader you can left click on the image to select it. Then right click on the image and use the "Copy Image" option to copy the picture to the Windows "clipboard."

Then open DesignCAD and paste the image into the drawing.

You can also open any drawing program and paste the image into the drawing, then save it as a JPEG or PNG. Then import the image into DesignCAD.

Phil
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:20:14 PM by Dr PR »
DesignCAD user since 1987

adriank

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:26:01 PM »
I can only select the text on my Adobe Reader - and that only by going to 'select all'. If there are embedded images in the file it may select it, but if you printed to PDF from DCad the file stays as vectors and can't be selected.

I use Paintshop Pro as my image editing program, and that opens PDFs without any problems at all which can then be saved as a JPG in whatever resolution you specify.

There seems to be a boundless selection of free pdf-to-jpg convertors on the internet, including online options to save you installing any program on your computer. I've not used them but I should imagine you will get a better resolution than the screenshot option, which limits the resolution to whatever you can display on screen.

Adrian

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »
Sorry, ran out of time yesterday to provide some more details

For quick and dirty images, where screen resolution is sufficient, copy and paste works well enough.  You can use windows snipping tool, or the likes of  free Foxit reader has a snapshot tool for screen resolution.

If you want a better quality image to import into Designcad, then the Tracker Software pdf x-change editor free version can export images from pdf pages containing mixed content at specified resolution to most any image format.   Cute pdf pro also has an image export function, where you can specify your desired resolution.

If you want to import vector content from a vector-based pdf documat, such as you might get by printing to pdf from designcad or autocad, then one of the pdf to cad conversion programs can provide excellent results, which will be scaleable.  You might get 2 or 3 digits of precision, where cad itself provides 8 or 16 digits.

So there is medicine out there for whatever needs you may have  :)
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:25 AM »
Adrian,

Acrobat Reader can be hard to control sometimes. You have to be very careful with the "Selection Tool" to actually select what you want. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

If you have problems selecting images check the Document Properties. The originator of the PDF may have blocked copy/paste from the PDF file. In this case I open them in Photoshop, change the protections and copy the images or text.

But if images are embedded in an unlocked PDF file I normally just left click on them and then copy them.

Adobe Reader also has a "Snapshot Tool" - you just draw a selection rectangle around part of the screen and the image is copied to the windows clipboard. You can then paste it. But as Rob noted, the image is limited to the screen resolution.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987