Author Topic: Copy/Paste Problems  (Read 784 times)

wil01

Copy/Paste Problems
« on: February 04, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »
DC 2018 with update
1.   I define a group in a drawing.
2.   I select it and copy it with Ctrl + C.
3.   I use Ctrl + V to paste it in the same layer and all goes well.
4.   I change layers or open a different drawing and use Ctrl + V in the new layer or new drawing.
5.   The copied section shows in the new location, but won’t remain when any other actions are done.  It just vanishes.

Is this a new bug in 2018, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Wil

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: Copy/Paste Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
I can't seem to reproduce this as described (DesignCAD 2D 2018 64-bit, updated).

Are the original grouped objects on the same layer or on different layers?
Are they on the current layer or a different layer than the current one?
In General Options, is 'Don't use nested layers' checked or unchecked?
In Layer Options, do you have multilayer editing turned off or on?
25 years with DesignCAD

wil01

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:25:07 PM »
The group is on a single layer.

It is on the original layer.

“’Don’t use nested layers” is unchecked.

“Enable Multiple Layers” is on

Thanks!
Wil.

Lar

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »

Was the original group defined on layer zero?

Lar

wil01

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 06:40:35 AM »
No.

adriank

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:50:04 AM »
Can you replicate this issue with different drawings or is it only happening with one specific group, or drawing?
Can you post a copy of a group that has this issue?

I've certainly experienced similar issues of a copied selection disappearing but it has always been because of some errant entity in the group that was drawn in the wrong layer. If that layer is not visible in your new drawing the whole group can disappear.
After your group disappears what happens if you go to 'show all' in the layers menu?
Does the entity count in the 'drawing info' box (in the help dropdown menu) show that the group is in the drawing?

When the group disappears (if you don't do another mouse click to deselect it) it should still be selected even though it's invisible - actions like copy, rotate etc will still be highlighted instead of greyed out. Can you go to groups/group explode & see if it becomes visible?

Adrian

Dr PR

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »
wil01

When you paste a copy from an existing drawing into another drawing the objects are loaded into the original layer(s) from the original drawing. If visibility for these layers is not enabled in the Layers Dialog the objects will disappear as soon as they are deselected.

I normally open a blank layer in the new/second drawing, and after I paste into that drawing I click the "A+" button (Apply Layer to Selection) in the Layers Tool Bar. After the paste all objects are selected. The "A+"button moves the selected objects to the current layer.

You could also use the Info Box to do this but "A+" is faster.

If you want to copy/paste objects from multiple layers in the original drawing to different multiple layers in the second drawing you will have to do this one layer at a time - unless one of our macro wizards already has a macro to do this.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

wil01

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
Thank you Dr PR.
I'll work with that and report any success.

Wil

wil01

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:30:20 AM »
The plot thickens.
As has been noted by DR PR an item copied from Drawing One and pasted into Drawing Two will be inserted on the same layer in Drawing Two as it was in Drawing One.  I’ve been able to do that successfully.

The Help File and Reference Manual say that you can change the layer of an object by using the Info Box and selecting the object and then clicking the layer where you want the object to be.  That does not work if the object has been pasted from another drawing.  The layer number in the Info Box changes, but the object stays on its original layer.

Once the object has been pasted into the second drawing, you can’t even copy it and paste it to another layer.  That object is locked to the original layer.  It can be moved on the same layer, edited, or deleted, but not moved to another layer.

The Info Box will properly move normally created objects to any layer desired in the same drawing.

Is this situation common to versions of DC other than 2018, or is this a 2018 issue?

Wil   

Lar

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »

Man, are you sure you are using designcad? ??? ??? ??? 

Are you selecting the entities first?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:32:23 AM by Lar »

wil01

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »
Yes!  That's what the title says.

I don't remember this problem before 2018, but I don't have an earlier copy to check with.

Even I know to select the objects before any of the actions described here.

Before I discovered that objects copied from one drawing and pasted in another one had to be pasted on the same layer, I tried several times to copy from layer four in drawing one and pasting in layer six in drawing two.  All attempts seemed to fail.

Then when I discovered about copying to the same layer, I looked at layer four in the second drawing and several (six or seven) copies were there in layer four from my earlier attempts.  I could delete any of these copies, edit them, or move them on the same layer.  I just couldn't move any of them to another layer.  The Info Box shows that the object has been moved, but it hasn't.  It is stuck on layer four forever.

From your response about my lack of knowledge, it may well be a 2018 problem.  Are you running 2018?

Wil

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »
I believe that if you are working with groups, either pasted or original, and you change the layer of the group at the top window of the info box, you are only changing the layer of the group's "container"

If you wish to change the layer of the entities within the group, you can do this using the "edit group" button at the bottom of the info box.  The resulting dialog allows you to set the layer for each entity within the group.

This has been around for a few versions now, where I seem to recall previously you had to explode the group to do this.

In case of difficulty selecting the group, I think you need to turn on all the layers of all the entities of the group, including its container.
User since Pro-design

Lar

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »

“’Don’t use nested layers” is unchecked.
My apologies, Wil.
Rob hit the nail on the head (and DT was on the right track). You are experiencing that problem with "Nested Groups", something I stay so far away from that I totally forget the issues associated with it.

Enable “Don’t use nested layers”, answer "No" to the message, then everything should work as expected.
Lar

wil01

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
Thanks Lar.

I don't know how to execute what you said.  Maybe you can tell me.

Wil

adriank

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:36 PM »
I see a lot of bad press about nested groups on here, but for me it's a very useful function that I use all the time.
As an example, I have in my library a 3D nut, bolt and washer assembly. The nut, bolt and washer are all in individual groups and then the assembly is in another group - making it much easier to handle.
If I introduce that in another drawing and I'm bolting together different thickness things the nut and washer needs to move. The bolt length is fixed (according to my hardware shop) so I can't drag the points to do that - breaking the outer group and adjusting the nut, adding and removing washers would be impossible without nested groups.
The issues surrounding nested groups are all dependent on how organized you are with your layers - but I now have 2000 layers to choose from and I don't think I've ever created a drawing with more than 100 layers occupied, so It's not hard to assign the group components in layers you'll never want to turn off. (before making a group, you just need to make sure everything is in the layer it should be in)
DCad importing a group (or any entity for that matter) into the same layer in the new drawing that it was in on the source drawing is logical and correct in my opinion. (otherwise I'd never know where it is in the future)
Rob, thanks for pointing out about the 'Edit Group' button on the info box - I'd missed that addition, because I never scroll down to the bottom of the info box & it never opens fully displayed. (why is that, by the way? When I have screen space available it still opens displaying only half the options & I have to scroll down to see the rest of it)