Author Topic: DCad V16 connect and join commands  (Read 302 times)

AJD

DCad V16 connect and join commands
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »
DCad V16
Have a simple question
Have 2 curves meeting at a common lcation.   1/4 ellipse and a Bezier curve.  Lines line up perfetly when they meet

Want to join the 2 lines into a single identity so that i can sweep the shape into a 3D shape
Using  CONNECT command always get a "Command Failed "  notice as soon as I select the 2nd line
tried cutting one line and seperating end points and then joining them with a JOIN command   Again same result  after 2nd pick "command Failed" window appears

What are I doing wrong

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: DCad V16 connect and join commands
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »
Combining a quarter ellipse and a bezier curve works for me in a more recent version. 

Can you post the drawing of the two objects you are trying to combine?

You must realize that combining any kind of curves converts them into segmented lines.

Thus you might be able to equally well approximate the desired result by snapping a new line to your curves at suitably small intervals and then extruding that.
User since Pro-design

bdeck

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »
AJD,

DesignCad has a Combine Lines command ( shortcut = B ) and a Line Connect command (no shortcut key)

The Line Connect command works only on line and double line entities, which are picked after starting the command.

The Combine Lines command works on line, curve, arc, and elliptical arc entities, which must all be selected prior to executing the command.

Neither is necessary in this instance. Simply select the entities and run the Sweep command. 

To make certain the swept entities are initially in the same plane, I draw them in  in 2D mode, then switch to 3D.   

bd

PS: DC also has a Join Endpoints command which can be used to speed up illustration if precision is not required. Not recommended. Use only if you understand or don't care how it changes the entities being joined.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:10:20 PM by bdeck »

Lar

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:04:05 PM »

Using  CONNECT command always get a "Command Failed "  notice as soon as I select the 2nd line
It sounds like you are calling up the Connect command before selecting two lines. You have to select at least 2 lines with touching endpoints then call up the command (B shortcut).

Lar