Author Topic: Bizarre text behaviour when changing from true-type to vector  (Read 450 times)

adriank

Bizarre text behaviour when changing from true-type to vector
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
This is more for your amusement than needing a fix, but it's worth reporting here.
I recently needed to re-number the hotel rooms that I'd produced on a plan.
I'd originally typed them as vector font (default 'simplex_win') and then changed them to true-type (Arial).
There were two groups of 5 units and the number order needed to be reversed, 101 - 105 was changed to 105 - 101. So, 101 & 102 became 105 & 104 etc but 103 stayed the same.
It was then that I realized '103' was now written larger than the other numbers - still the height but longer and bolder. (it printed that way too, it was in a PDF file that I first noticed it)

After much experimentation to try to replicate I worked out it only happens if you 'batch convert' several texts from vector to true-type then try to edit one of them. If you convert the texts individually it doesn't happen.
I also found that if the sequence is reversed - that is, originally typed in true-type and batch-converted to vector - the effect of editing it is also reversed.
Vector font converted to true-type gets smaller if edited, True-type font converted to vector gets larger if edited.

Like I said, not a doomsday moment but it makes the drawing look untidy so I had to re-do it as it was to be posted on the back of every door in the hotel!

Adrian

ALI ZAIDI

• Beta Testers
Re: Bizarre text behaviour when changing from true-type to vector
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
Can you please share the file that is problematic
Ali Zaidi
DesignCAD Developer
IMSI Technologies

adriank

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »
Thanks for looking at this Ali,
This is an easily repeatable issue - not specific to one file. I just created a test drawing for you (and attached a screen-shot too).
To re-iterate, this only happens when I batch-convert numbers -  that is, I select several numbers together then use the info box to change them from vector font to true-type (or vice-versa). If I select the numbers individually to change them it does not happen.

Looking at this sample, it is clear that the spacing of the letters is different between vector & true type fonts, and when selected as a group the spacing of the numbers does not change when converted. If you subsequently edit the number the spacing seems to correct itself.

I hope this helps.
Adrian
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:46:52 PM by adriank »

adriank

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »
While we are looking at issues with text size... this is not exactly on-topic but it nearly is.

when I type on a curve, the text becomes more bold as I zoom out. When the text is viewed full screen it does look the same as text of the same height typed in a straight line, but because the text it generally just a small part of a drawing it is always viewed - and printed - as a small element in the drawing.
In the attached screenshot the 2 rows of text was 1 unit (metre) high (the curved text approximated as the height changes depending on the spacing of the 3 points along the curve) and printed as part of an A3 document (1:500 scale) which is still quite large text on a print. (1m text is still legible when printed at 1:1000 scale)
The curved text displays very boldly - I can't use that in the drawing so I've always used vector fonts for doing curved text - it'd be nice if the text would display properly at all zoom levels.

Adrian