Author Topic: Back, side, and bottom views  (Read 119 times)

jsidiski

Back, side, and bottom views
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:22:18 AM »
Hi,
I'm using DesignCad 3D Max 2018 and am having difficulty getting the desired 2D views of my 3D drawing.  Specifically, I would like to see a 2D Back View or Bottom View, or other Side View.  The DesignCad Tile only shows front, top, and side.   Is there any way to see these alternate views?
Thanks

Lar

Re: Back, side, and bottom views
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »

Press Y and left drag to rotate the view freely, or open the View Toolbox and type in the values (to open toolboxes: right click on any visible toolbox or right of the menu or in the status bar and click on the toolbox name. Or Q for options dialog, View tab).

Lar

jsidiski

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 02:42:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  The recommendations allow me to set the view within the 3D rendering, but not the 2D views that I am looking to see.  Perhaps I was not specific enough...  Within the DesignCad tile view, there are three 2D views (front, side, and top) and one (larger) 3D view.  I would like to be able to get a 2D view of the back, bottom, or other side of the 3D object instead of just the front view.

Lar

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »
In dcad you can set up view panels any which way and then make it 'your' default. You can also save alternate panel setups and recall them at any time and then later come back to 'your' default. At any time you want you can go back to the 'dcad' default. In any window you can at any time orbit a view to get a better look at something (when it's obscured in a shaded or hidden view, or if snapping at it finds something else whose point lines up with the point you want {2d selection mode}) and when done go back to your set view.

Here's what to do to get non-decad-default view panel:
1] Go to Window menu> New window. Enter a name in the dialog that opens. A new window will open with a perspective view.
2] Resize the window to fit wherever you want it and adjust the other windows as necessary. You can even tuck windows behind other windows, or minimize them.
3] In the View Toolbox set the 'view distance' to something high, like 10,000,000 <<hover the mouse over items in the toolbox to get a bubble of its name>>. This will get rid of the 'perspective' and make the view 'parallel'.
4] Change the 'horizontal angle' and 'vertical angle' to get the view you want (270/0 is left, 180/0 is rear, 0/270 is bottom).

5] When done setting up all the windows to what you want go to Windows menu> DesignCAD Tile Settings...> Set As DesignCAD Tile. This will make you arrangement the default, so when you start a 'new' drawing it will open this way, or if you move things around during a drawing session this will bring the default back. It may then be a good idea to save the file then close and reopen dcad, since most configurations don't 'stick' until dcad is closed. You can save a template drawing with 'your' setup so if the config is lost somehow just open the template and click 'Set As DesignCAD Tile' to make it the default again (or see the 2nd note below).

Notes:
To switch back to the built-in default go to
Windows menu> DesignCAD Tile Settings...> Restore DesignCAD Tile.
To save all the window arrangements with their views exactly as is, go to File menu> Screen Configuration> Save... 
       >Load... will bring the saved configuration back.
Each window will keep its 'projection' as long as the View Toolbox is open. You can use macros to change projections but if the view toolbox is open it will switch back. To keep such a view close the view toolbox first.

To temporarily orbit views: First you have to set the necessary focal point so the view rotates around the necessary point. Do this by clicking the 'set viewer points' icon in the View Toolbox then snapping to a point in the drawing (or clicking somewhere in open space) then ending the command by pressing enter or clicking the middle mouse button (the command uses 2 points, you can read up on its full use). This will shift the view by centering that point in the window. Now press Y (or click the 'set view by view center' icon) and drag the mouse to orbit the view around that point. At any time while orbiting you can set another view center by just clicking the button in the view toolbox. When done orbiting either press enter (or middle mouse button) to keep the new view, or Esc to go back to the starting view. If you keep the new you can always use the 'view previous' command to go back (as far as you want).

Lar

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:49:52 AM by Lar »

jsidiski

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 02:56:13 AM »
Thanks Lar... that worked!

I never thought of the 2D panels as just another view in the 3D world.  Hence, I never tried to use the view tools to change their characteristics.  A whole new world is now open to me!

Have a great holiday!

Joe

Lar

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »

A whole new world is now open to me.
Me too! While double checking my ideas I discovered X-Ray Shading. See http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=7024.msg50436#msg50436

"Have a great holiday!"

Same to you and all the other forum members who managed to make it onto Santa's Nice List this year.

Lar
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:38:35 AM by Lar »