Author Topic: CutEdge macro issue  (Read 579 times)

BlankMan

CutEdge macro issue
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »
How the heck do you specify the depth in a CutEdge macro?

When you use it you set the radius (for a flat edge??), "<Radius nnn" doesn't work.

Tried "<Depth nnn" that didn't work.

Recorded it as a macro, only thing in the recorded macro was <PointXYZ.

This is frustrating when there is no documentation!! (That I know of...)

Newbie? Not.
Been using DesignCAD 3D since ~1990
Still have version 4 floppies...

Lar

Re: CutEdge macro issue
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:28:52 PM »

You are right. It totally ignores the Depth parameter in the macro and uses the default value already in the dialog.

You may be forced to use <incomplete to manually enter the value during the running of the macro.

If you only need one value during the running of the macro you can pre-run the command and enter the needed value, then run the macro so it uses the default.

Lar

BlankMan

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:52:48 PM »
Is <incomplete a command? Replaced <Radius with it it didn't stop for me to do anything.

I tried setting it beforehand that didn't work either, it's got a mind of it's own.

Landed up drawing a triangle and extruding it to do the chamfer. That's a buncha BS. I do more workarounds then do things as they're documented to work...

Newbie? Not.

Lar

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:37:47 AM »

You are right again. Too bad this isn't Jeopardy.

<incomplete pauses a command so you can manually do something, normally when all the other parameters have been written in the macro, but it seems the programmers has coded CutEdge with only the need for the points (in this case <pointxyz) so the fact that it is there means the command completes itself.

My quick solution would be to use <CutEdge twice. The first one with no parameters (or only <incomplete) which forces the macro to pause and give you a chance to enter the depth manually. You would then have to press the Esc key twice (to remove the dialog then abort the command). The 2nd <CutEdge  will have the <PointXYZ parameter. This will complete the command but it uses the depth you just entered. Note that you could just use one <CutEdge (with no parameters) and enter the depth as well as set the point manually. But I would do it twice, for the times when I don't want to concern myself with where to set the point, especially since I would have the macro switch to 3D selection mode so there's no confusion as to which solid I want worked on.
Another bit of advice is to be careful when using the 'set start point' command (which will happen if you don't disable that option when recording macros). With 'set start point' any point you set manually (as with the 'setpoint' and 'pointval' combo) will assign the normal value to variables, but when those variables are later used they may be calculated relative to the start point being 0,0,0.

Code: [Select]
'... macro has already assigned values for x, y and z ...

>CutEdge                'first cut edge command to manually enter depth...
{
<incomplete            'this could be left out but I put it here so if I ever come back to read the code I would be reminded of what my intention was...
}

>3DSelectMode      'since with 2d selection mode in macros you can not ALWAYS be ABSOLUTELY sure which solid dcad will use for the operation...
{
  }

>CutEdge                'second cut edge to have the macro set the point while using the depth just entered manually...
{
  <PointXYZ [x,y,z]
}

>2DSelectMode   'switch back if necessary...
{
  }

Lar
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:42:50 AM by Lar »

BlankMan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:16:17 AM »
In the version 17 basiccad PDF reference I do have I did see the <incomplete in there now but apparently only shown with commands it will work with. CutEdge isn't in there must have came later. CutEdge isn't in DC printed manuals I have either.

I'll try not putting commands in or putting <incomplete in next time around or it I maybe get some time, right now I'm past that and working on prototyping not finding more workaround for DesignCAD. I'll add a Message command beforehand to get attention and remind what is going on.
Newbie? Not.