Author Topic: Encrypt.exe viral? Ha  (Read 276 times)

JoelOwens

Encrypt.exe viral? Ha
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:15:07 PM »
Was just going to say "Hi" and tell a funny. I was using an old DOS version (4.0) of DesignCad 3D (easy way to create models for Raylib OpenGL game engine) and had it along with one of the last DOS versions of 2D on my jump drive.
When I plugged it in at work, the antivirus noticed "encrypt.exe" for scrambling the BASICAD source files from .BSC to .BSX.
McAfee cried "Foul!" and conveniently erased encrypt.exe from both my old 2D and 3D versions off the jump drive.
Didn't touch anything else, just removed those two.

Not that I've ever needed to encrypt any of my BasiCAD files, but I thought it was funny.

~joel

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
Re: Encrypt.exe viral? Ha
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 05:42:01 PM »
Don't you hate that.

I use NIS (Norton) and it puts "bad" stuff under Quarantine. However, it allows you to restore the "baddy" if you decide that it is a false positive.
Dempsey

JoelOwens

Re: Encrypt.exe viral? Ha
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 08:16:59 AM »
I'm glad you were able to recover it.
Because I did this on the company computer, the IT department controls it all.
The program didn't even bother to ask me if I wanted to quarantine the offending program, it just went to work and erased it.
It just seemed funny to me.
I think I encrypted a sample .BSC one time just to see what it looked like under the UltraEdit microscope after it was done.
Did not spend much time trying to see what the sequence was (probably Enigma - lol).
It would be fun to see the old original source code for this program, tho.
Happy Holidays!