Author Topic: What is really going on with DesignCad?  (Read 283 times)

Guynmt

• DesignCad user since 5 1/4" Days!
What is really going on with DesignCad?
« on: December 13, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
I upgraded to Version 2018 from 2016 a while back and it hasn't been the best conversion for me. First the bounding box would disappear after using copy and paste. I understand there can be problems releasing new software, but then I started noticing little things after that. First after downloading the new version from their website, i saw that it said I was using 32 bit instead of 64 bit. Then when I received my backup disk, I did a reinstall after completely removing the previous one. Still again 32 bit. Now every time I turn my computer on I get a new Hardware Config. file on my desktop. Very annoying.
IMSI sent me a link to fix something (they didn't say what it was to fix). I installed it and it looked like a completely different version from 2018 even though it said 2018.2. And in Dimension Options the box for "Scale prop." is gone. I don't know what it going on, but the logo looked familiar, so I opened the about page and found the release date is 2008!!!   
DesignCAD user since the 5 1/4" Days. Still have them!

bdeck

Re: What is really going on with DesignCad?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
Update 18.2 was released in april 2008.

Version 27  (DC 2018) was released this year.

bd

Lar

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »
I am having no problems with 2018 other than if I start in Red dcad crashes or goes into an endless loop.

But it does seem like users are having individualized problems, ie, new problems that no one else is having. Mine was if I tried to export DXF my virus protection would alert me of an attack then would remove some dll files (which I assumed were for dcad's dxf'ing). That went away when I did the last win-10 update - which also seemed to speed up my display because working in shaded mode with Red off is just about doable now).

Lar
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:11:30 AM by Lar »

adriank

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
Hi Guynmt,
Your issue with the bounding box on copy/paste sounds like the same issue I'm experiencing in this thread:
http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=6999.0
The issue is more than just the bounding box, but I can tell you it's caused when I copy from a drawing created in an earlier version into V2018.
I'm actually happy if that is your problem because I thought it was just me! (nice not to be alone) It has been reported so I'm sure it'll get fixed soon. Meantime save the file, close DCad and re-open it & the drawing will be 'fixed'.

Your issue with DCad not recognizing 64bit may be caused by redSDK - if you have it enabled try turning it off & see if the problem persists. It caused my computer to prompt the operating system as 'unknown', and 'Windows 8' (it's actually Windows 10' although it did still see 64 bits.
I also saw the config file on my desktop a few times but not any more - that may have been a redSDK issue too.

Adrian

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:53:21 PM »
Actually, if "Help/About DesignCAD" says it is V18.1 then the problem is that is is a 10 year out of date "update." I can see how IMSI could make the mistake - they are mainly a Turbocad distributor and barely know DesignCAD exists - my impression.

Version 18 was a can of works to begin with - lots of bugs. V19 fixed some of them, but it wasn't until V21 that the program was really stable again. The 64 bit versions weren't released until V25 in 2015.

You would be better off to roll back to whatever version you had before V18.1.

There has been no V2018.1 update, much less 2018.2. V2018.0 is actually V27.0. For some reason someone at IMSI decided to call it V2018. It was going to be V2017 but all the bugs weren't worked out in time for a 2017 release - lots of new changes plus a new programming staff. Personally, I think the suits at IMSI decreed that it be released as V2018, bugs and all, just to get a "new" product out. From all the bug reports that have been coming in it was a big mistake - in my opinion.

Too bad. A buggy product is far worse than no product at all.

Phil

Note: If you are in Europe the version numbers aren't always the same as in the US.
DesignCAD user since 1987

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 06:09:23 AM »

Yes what Dr said, if you have V18 get rid of it as fast as you can!!

If you don't need the new in V2018 (V27) scaleable icons, and the new options to test solids for leaks, and change inverted planes inside out, then by all means go back to V2016 (V26) as it was one of the best releases ever in terms of features and stability.

It was available as a 32 or 64 bit version, and I have not previously heard of any case where it misdiagnosed your system and installed the wrong version.

Actually, I think what you get depends on which installer you download and run, they have always come separately.  I assume the 64 bit installer should refuse to run on a 32bit system, you could install either one on a 64 bit machine.
User since Pro-design

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
I don't have any idea why, but the crew is notorious for sending out the wrong versions of backup CDs (possibly an issue with the way the shopping cart itself is set up). I'd suggest sticking with the download version, and burn your own backup CD from that. Cheaper, faster, and more reliable.
25 years with DesignCAD

Rob S

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 07:54:26 AM »
What's a CD???  :)

Does anyone still use CD's to install programs?   

Most of my machines now don't even have a hole to stick one into ....

Far better to use a high quality memory stick or better yet a portable USB hard-drive, and copy all of your installer files and text files or pdfs containing all your passwords and serial numbers and activation codes onto those, and store it/them separately preferably in another building.

I also keep a full set of all such installers on my main machine hardrrive as well, for reinstalls.

This remote source can then be used to reinstall your stuff onto a new or existing machine.
User since Pro-design

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
DVD storage is slow, but it's cheap (US $.05/Gb)- and more reliable than a memory stick too. I still do my weekly data backups onto a DVD. Fortunately, it still all fits onto just one disk.
My daily "backups" just transfer/copy new files among the several computers on the network, and that's all automated.

Rob S

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »
Why is this forum so slow, it took over a minute to load the reply box....

Bob, are not your DVD's a 1-shot deal, so each backup you basically throw away the previous backup?

I get one 75-80 C$, probably 50US $ or less  hardrive that holds 1-2 terrabytes, and all I have to do is back up the files that have changed since last previous which process is fully automated or not as I wish, and it will last for years.

You would have a stack of hundreds of DVD's by then!!!

ps My first full backup takes a few hours and fills about 350 gb or so, at 5gb per dvd I would need 70 of them!!!  That is about 60,000 images, 12,000 mp3s, a few gigabytes of emails, a few hundred DCD files, and all our personal and company information.  Subsequent backups take a few minutes.  I would need many thousands of DVD's for that!!!

Each to his own - whatever works - as long as you do something.  One of our computers suffered sudden irreparable death recently, which has actually never happened to us before, so we were sure glad to have almost everything backed up.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:09:48 PM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
Rob,

Yes, I keep every backup disk, back 10+ years (off-site). It hasn't happened very often, but I've encountered a corrupted file that dates back several years. The bad file has been copied to all my local backup computers, so the CD/DVDs have definitely come in handy.

Dr PR

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
Here are a few thoughts:

1. I have designed electronics using many different FLASH memory chips. The data sheets all say they have a limited number of write cycles and they do a lot of tricks internally to ensure that some memory cells are not used more than others. Having said that, I am still using the first USB memory stick - 256 megabytes - that I got in the early 1990s (when 250 mbytes was a lot of memory!). It is still working just fine, and I have used it a lot. So I am not too worried about the short life time warnings.

2. CDs and DVDs are not permanent storage. The dyes used in them fail, especially with the writable disks. Some of the commercial disks are manufactured with mechanical deformations in the memory layer and they are supposed to last a long time. However, I have had commercially produced movie DVDs fail after a year or two.

As Rob noted, even the largest DVDs and BlueRay disks have relatively low storage capacity by today's standards. For example, I have a 3 terrabytes hard drive that is devoted to photos only, and it is about half full. It would take 638 DVDs to back up 3 terrabytes - I don't have room in my house for all those DVDs, and I probably wouldn't live long enough to shove all the disks in and out of the drive (if the DVD drive doesn't fail first).

3. Hard drives also fail. They wear out over time because of worn bearings, air leaks, etc. I have had a few fail, but most are working OK after many years. They have the same problem as all magnetic media - fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field eventually weaken the recorded signals until they can no longer be read. But I can still read backup drives that were written a decade ago.

My backup of choice is the largest external hard drives I can get - 6 terrabyte the last time I bought one. I fill them up with periodic backups and then put them on a shelf. They are used very little so there isn't much danger of them wearing out. Whether the data will still be there when I need to retrieve it is the question. But all critical data is carried forward to the latest backups so I have many copies (this is also why I always need the largest drives available).

Phil
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:27:09 PM by Dr PR »
DesignCAD user since 1987