Author Topic: 2018 First Impressions  (Read 2378 times)

wil01

Re: 2018 First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »
Thanks, but that isn't a solution.  The solution is for ISMI to get current like other apps have and come into the current computer world.  Unless they do, they are dying.  Note that this 4K screen problem is also problem with ISMI's poster child, TurboCAD, as well as the step child DesignCAD.  We may be seeing the last days of ISMI.  They just don't seem to be able to get their act together.  The marketplace isn't kind to those who can't keep current.

It was good while it lasted.

Wil

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »

In that case, I do wish you luck finding the perfect CAD program out there that meets all your needs, works on your hardware, and that you can afford!!!

Designcad will continue to be good for many of us who appreciate what it does well, and we are willing, if necessary, to jump through a few hoops to keep this all available to us for a reasonable price.

There are many other things that a larger majority of us would like to see them work on.
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 09:25:14 PM »
DesignCAD and other CAD programs draw with virtual lines - just a series of points stored in memory that the program interprets to be lines. In most cases these lines are rendered with the thickness of one pixel. In the past this has not been a problem because screen resolution was low enough that a one pixel wide line was easily visible.

But with the number of pixels on the screen increasing faster than the screen dimensions the lines are becoming thinner and harder to see. If this trend continues, eventually the lines will become too thin to see without a magnifier. This will require a dynamic display line width.

DesignCAD already has the answer to this problem -  the "Fixed Lineweight." But everything on the display should be scalable in a similar manner. In some cases this will be a real problem - if you scale a texture map based upon screen resolution it will not look the same on different screens, and the display may not look anything like what is printed or saved in image files.

So much for the ideal WYSIWYG display (What You See Is What You Get)!

Phil

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

pnb

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 02:54:25 AM »
Phil, it sounds like that there is no straight forward solution.
If this is the future perhaps software that is limited this way should add the screen limitations to its hardware requirements, just to avoid disappointment from new users.
One thing is pretty certain is that screens will have greater resolution, for each product iteration, rather than less, so as users replace or upgrade hardware they will be left with less choice of suitable software.
Fortunately my use of DC is purely amateur, for drawing up my own projects, although I did draw up my house extension in 2008 !

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 03:32:36 AM »
Too bad that CAD programs apparently write to the screen in proprietary ways. Look at the way we can scale a browser's display.

Lar

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »

1) You say you are running at 3640x2160 -- ok, but what is the physical size of the screen?
Physical screen size: 13.5 x 7.5
In my lack of experience with hi res screens, a standard laptop sized screen seems rather small. I thought a hi res screen would come no smaller that 40" diagonal, or at least 32", which would mean you won't have to jack up the icon magnification to the extreme.

Until more 3rd party support comes along I would just reduce the display res when working in apps, and crank it back up when watching 4k movies or looking at hi res photos.

As for hi res in general, wouldn't it be tiresome just moving the mouse? You would have to trade off a fast mouse speed (to move across all those pixels) vs precision (for snapping and such) and I think precision would be priority in dcad.

I guess the manufacturers have to keep coming up with new *innovations* to keep sales up.

Lar

wil01

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 07:52:52 AM »
Let me add this about this high res problem.

There are no problems with any of the graphical functions or cursor movements.  Lines and such work just fine and are of normal size.  Even text inserted into the drawing behaves just fine.

The problems are all with icons, infobox, input panels in menu windows like the layer window, and other normal application display functions.

Wil

JJG

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
Hy all,

as LAR points out in its reply above,
(and to share my personal experience) I use a Dell 32 "4k screen, with no worries of functionality or of icon lisibility (size).

Your problem only comes from the fact that your screen is too small, and so I have trouble to understand the value of using it in 4k if it's a 15 "or even a 17" ...

Even parametric 3D software such as Solidworks, Inventor or others TopSolid etc ... do not offer (for now) solution to the problem you raise.

For me, the main advantage of high resolution (I previously used a Dell 30" 2560 1600 for years) lies first:
1) in the fact that you can save (= preserve) your sight by drastically reducing the number of zooms during the period of work,
2) next in the fact that you can put more icons of toolbox around the drawing area,
and 3) finally in the fact that one can produce High resolution images without having to assemble multiple panels in Photoshop (or Paint).

But with the screens 15 "or 17", much of these benefits are meaningless ...

pnb

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »
But that is what many of us have!

Rob S

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
It's a bit like putting a Turbo V-12 in a Volkswagen...
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 01:12:39 AM »
I've been following this thread with interest although I've not been able to contribute much.

My first reaction was much as Lar & JJG pointed out, that the value of high res screens lies in being able to make them BIG and I was also surprised to find we're talking about a small laptop screen.

I've banged on about the amazing value for money that DesignCad is many times before and it still beggars belief what DCad can do for less money than I paid for my Christmas lunch. The last thing I think we have the right to do is to criticize  the team for 'not keeping current'.

Rob, you are too late - it's already done, although as you can see the result is not pretty. I think there is a moral to be found somewhere in that!

Adrian

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »
wil01, thanks for that input.

Sorry, when I was testing DesignCAD on a 4K screen, it was on a 28" monitor, not a 15" one. Therefore I was not testing with such a high percentage on the text size. Unfortunately, without a comprehensive overhaul of DesignCAD's UI, it will be very difficult to accommodate such settings.

So, while DesignCAD 2018 DOES support 4K monitors, it only works well within a fairly limited range of text size multiplication factors.
25 years with DesignCAD

wil01

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 06:22:01 PM »
Thanks Kindly Curmudgeon.

The TurboCAD tech told me that they were working on fixing the problem.

Is DesignCAD also working on this problem?

Wil

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
I honestly can't say -- I'm no longer with the company. Just a forum member like yourself.
25 years with DesignCAD

Rob S

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »
Sad news, known to some of us for a little while already.  I was wondering when this would become known on the Public forum..

I also wonder if IMSI will appoint a new person to coordinate and push forward with Designcad specifically, this forum, and the Beta program.

Without such a person steering the ship, unfortunately I foresee things going rapidly downhill. 

That said, I believe we all owe a great thank to you, DT, Curmudgeon, etc for your many years of service to us all, and wish you many more happy new years!!!
User since Pro-design