Author Topic: 2018 First Impressions  (Read 2213 times)

Pearco

Re: 2018 First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
DT

Thanks for all your help over the years and good luck with what ever you do now.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

Dr PR

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 08:23:28 PM »
Hear, hear! Thanks DT!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

pnb

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 02:15:20 AM »
It does seem that the evolving specifications of hardware could be sounding a death knell for DC, I hope not.
Large size screens, and even multiples are good options in a business environment, not so easy to live with at home, where I now do my computer work.
Just a thought.
If changing the UI is too big a task what would adding a casting option involve, most of us will have flat panel TVs, if not now, will have in the future?

Lar

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »

If you have a flat screen TV now why wait for a UI change.

Go to the electronic store and get an HDMI cable, or buy one online. If your flat screen TV is a bit obsolete it may not have HDMI but probably will have DVI and/or VGA. Your 4k laptop most likely lacks VGA and DVI but has HDMI, so get either a DVI to HDMI cable or an HDMI to DVI adaptor along with an HDMI cable. There is also a component that can convert VGA to HDMI but it is a bit more expensive than a cable. Don't buy a VGA to HDMI adaptor because it probably won't work, since the two technologies are not compatible.

I don't do much casting myself so I'm no authority but your 4k laptop probable has win10 so it can connect wirelessly now (sometimes casting can only do media stuff like movies and music). Click the right most icon on the task bar (not the line, which is to go to the desktop) then the 'connect' square to search for nearby wireless receivable appliances. Most of the time the TV needs 'Chromecast' built in or you can connect a dongle to plug into the TV.

There are also software options that you can download from the Window's Store (and your Google or Android store for the TV) that I think can display a laptop on your TV if both are on the same internet router (I do this from my cell phone to my laptop then HDMI it to my monitor or projector so I'm not sure about from laptop to TV). If your TV does not have internet built in you can get one of those Android TV boxes and you can do all your internet stuff on the TV via the box (since it is essentially a computer).

If you are not into all this new digital paradigm all I said above may sound complicated but it's really not, and it's worth exploring because, like I say, it is the new digital paradigm.

Thing is, though, unless you have a 4k TV you will still have to set your TV to it highest resolution, which will probably be 1920 x 1080. If you don't have a 4k TV you might as well just reduce your laptop's resolution down to something that doesn't require maximum magnification of your laptop's icons and text when doing work. Raise it back up when watching 4k movies. Hopefully the movie player's buttons will be legible.

Lar

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »
I was going to suggest the same HDMI solution, but in reality the HDMI will merely project onto the TV screen the image that is displayed on your laptop screen except bigger and at usually lower resolution.

Unless there is a way to hook up your 4K television as a monitor with its own driver, any misconfigurations in scaling text and icon size will be faithfully reproduced on your HDMI output.

Some discussions on this subject:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/any-valid-reason-why-not-to-use-a-40-4k-tv-as-pc-monitor-cheaper-than-a-1440p-27-30-monitor.56735/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2855287/monitor.html
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
The real problem here is that the current programming "vogue" is to dumb things down to simple tripe that can be displayed on a cell phone. At the same time the marketing slime want to push something "new" that the mindless masses will fall all over themselves to rush out and purchase.

These two "forces" have combined to produce Apples, and things that look and work like Apples - media boxes geared to morons who lack the intelligence to use something as simple as a two button mouse (so we have the touch screen).

All of this is incompatible with computers. You know, electronic machines that you use to do productive work. Spreadsheets, relational data bases, word processors, CAD programs. For all of these things tiny screens - no matter how many pixels they have - and touch panels are anathema.

Unfortunately, the new generation of programmers are a bunch of morons who spend their entire non-programming lives mindlessly punching buttons on their cell phones and playing video games. People who have never used a computer for anything but programming, using operating systems written by programmers for programmers. So we get iPhones and Windows 8/10 - totally worthless for computing. Word processors written by people who have never written anything longer than their names in a human language. Hardware designed for video game sales and not for useful work.

Once upon a time we had real computers designed for real computing, and telephones. Now we have underpowerd thermally limited laptops designed to be a cross between a video game and a cell phone that are totally unsuitable for computing.

No one in his right mind would try to do CAD work (word processing, spreadsheets, data bases) on a cell phone. You need to use some intelligence when purchasing a machine, to be sure it is compatible with what you want to use it for.

I am reminded of a user review I read recently for a sophisticated digital SLR (single lens reflex) camera. Some guy wrote to say he recently purchased the camera, with it's lengthy user manual and a plethora of features and options. He took it into a park to take some pictures, and while he was trying to figure out how to use it he saw a bunch of kids using Go-Pros. Then he complained he had spent all that money on the SLR and it wasn't as "good" as the simple Go-Pro! Of course, Go-Pros are designed for simpletons - just another commodity to be sold. Don't get me wrong, Go-Pros are well suited for simple spur of the moment video capture, and are far better than complex SLRs for that task. Someone else on that forum pointed out the obvious. The bozo who bought the SLR had not done his homework. He bought the wrong kind of camera for the type of pictures he wanted to take, and that wasn't the camera's fault. And if you have ever tried to do any serious photography you know the SLR is far better suited to accomplish a broad range to types of photography than a Go-Pro, and will always produce clearer, more detailed photos and videos - if used correctly.

The morale of the story. Do your homework before wasting a lot of bucks on something unsuited to the work you want to do. It is not DesignCAD's fault that cell phones, tablets, gaming machines and other gadgets totally unsuited for serious CAD work are produced.

Don't try to use a hammer to install a screw. Use the right tool.

Phil
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:36:19 AM by Dr PR »
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »

Unless there is a way to hook up your 4K television as a monitor with its own driver, any misconfigurations in scaling text and icon size will be faithfully reproduced on your HDMI output.
All flat screen TV's come with a native resolution (the one 'most recommended') and a set of lower resolutions that it is compatible with. If the laptop's' multiple display' setting is on 'duplicate' then the machine with the lower setting will overrule. The higher res display will set itself to match the lower (if it doesn't have the same setting it will go with the nearest lower, which will cause it to not be full screen, ie, you will see black bands around the image). However, if the 'multiple display' is set to 'extend' then each display can have its own setting and I would imagine it's own magnification.

So, unless Pnb has a 4k TV, he will have to reduce the laptop's res to be able to work in dcad (so why not just reduce it now and forget about the TV hook up).

Once upon a time we had real computers designed for real computing, and telephones. Now we have underpowerd thermally limited laptops designed to be a cross between a video game and a cell phone that are totally unsuitable for computing.
Not too long ago I would've agreed with Phil's overall tone, but now compatibility between the numerous device types is making for some interesting experiences. I mean, now'a days I can hook my little cell phone up to my projector and watch live TV at high enough res at 173" diagonal (12' x 8') . Except for attaching a 4k screen to a regular size laptop, I would commend the techies responsible for what all is possible with displays these days.

Lar

ev

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 12:42:30 PM »
I've been a DCad user for probably over 25 yrs now. DT, your presence meant professionalism, cool, and apt humor for many a long years. My sincere thanks, and wishing you all the best.

Robert Willis

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
DT, thanks for all of your hard work through the years. I have been using DesignCAD since the ProDesign days ands am still impressed with the software. I hope that IMSI will continue with the development. Good luck to you with your future endeavors.

Douglas

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 11:27:44 PM »
Yes DT, thanks for your input and help over the years (including a couple of things of line) - it has been invaluable
Sorry and disappointing to see you moving on.
Wishing you all the best for the future, and trust you will still be contributing to the forum.
Regards
Doug
DesignCad user since 1997