Author Topic: Custom linestyles issue in V2018  (Read 130 times)

adriank

Custom linestyles issue in V2018
« on: November 27, 2017, 08:17:39 PM »
I have a default layers setting that includes several custom linestyles assigned to appropriately named layers.
(my 'Arrow' linestyle is in a layer called 'Arrow' - who'd have guessed that!)

Now when I open a drawing (in V2018) that was made in V2016 it completely scrambles my custom linestiles, swapping some from one layer to another and deleting others. In the layer menu, the deleted linestyle also deletes the assigned selection box leaving only the checked 'Assign Line Style' box. To get the selection box back I need to un-check then re-check the Assign Line Style box.

Taking a file draw in in V2018 also has the same result of scrambling the linestyles.

A side issue relating to custom lines - in the custom linestyle editor, it gives me the option to load a line style from a file, but it does not give me the option to save one to a file? How am I to make the file to load?
The 'Save Line Style List' merely seems to save it as default, but that does not make a custom file.
I've attached a drawing made in V2018 with all the custom lines in it. It also has my default layer settings.
If you open that in V2016   it looks - for me, anyway - very different.

The 2 JPGs are screen shots of my V2018 original file and the same file opened in V2016

Adrian
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:20:19 PM by adriank »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Custom linestyles issue in V2018
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
Adrian

I have never used custom linestyles, but possibly the new version needs to have your styles installed into it.

Have you tried loading the custom line styles into V2018 by way of the following procedure copied from dcad help file

Loading and Removing Line Styles

(section deleted)

The Save LineStyle List button can be used to save the list of existing styles and Shapes in the DcLStyle.sys file and the DCShape.sys file, respectively. These files are used to load styles when a new document is created.

To load styles from other files:

1.   Open Load Custom Line Style dialog.

2.   Click the Load from File button

3.   Select the desired file.

All styles from the selected file, that have names that are different from names of existing styles, will be shown in the File Line Styles list. The styles of the current document are shown in the Current Line Styles list.

To add a style,

1.   Select it in the File Line Styles list.

2.   Click the Add --> button.

3.   To add all styles from the list, use the Add All button.

4.   Click OK.

All of the Shapes that are a part of the added style, and which are absent from the current documentís list of Shapes, will be added to the list.

To remove an added style:

User since Pro-design

Rob S

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
Can you also post an earlier drawing where the linestyles are set and working as you would like them to be?

The drawing you sent seems to open the same for me in 2016 as it does in 2018
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
Hi Rob,
Thanks for helping me understand the loading linestyle method - when the program asked me to 'load from file' I was expecting to have a preferences file in the same way as you do for keyboard options or custom toolboxes - not expecting to have to go to a drawing file.

I find the whole methodology of the linestyles and the linestyles-by-layer tools to be very clumsy at best and I get frustrated trying to get the settings right on a regular basis.
As an example, how come if I change from an unlocked layer to one with linestiles/colour locked using the same-as finger I still need to go to the layer menu and select the layer a second time before the the preset linestyle/colour is effective? (If I continue drawing having just changed layer by same-as, the lines are drawn in whatever type as the previously current layer)

Thanks too for letting me know that the file opens correctly in both your versions. I'm thinking my problem revolves around the fact that in both versions I have locked linestyles on selected layers set as default. If I unlock the layers in the V2016 source file, it imports into V2018 correctly - I think.
This will need some more experimentation, which may need to wait 'till I have time.

Rob S

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
Not sure if this is your situation, but I see it as follows:

The info box "Finger" is specifically designed to pick up a style from an existing object and apply it to the current selection. 
 - It does not pick up the layer of the source object, and does not change the layer of the selected objects. 
 - It also does not affect the current ongoing drawing style or layer.

Changing the layer of a by-layer object in the info box causes it to take on the by-layer properties (color & Linestyle) of its new layer

To change the ongoing drawing styles in a by-layer setting, you need to change current layers by way of the layer dialog or the layers toolbar.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:02:57 PM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »
I was referring to changing layers by using the 'Same Layer As' button on the Layer toolbox, I'm not trying to change the layer of an object.
If I'm in a layer without fixed properties and I use that icon to change to a layer that has fixed properties I then have to open the dropdown layer list and select that layer a second time  to get the assigned linetype & colour working too.
The only advantage of using that finger is that it brings the layer in use into the window without having to scroll down a long list.

This i not a new problem, it's been like it for as long as I've used layers in DCad - hundreds of years!

adriank

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:19:06 AM »
It seems the issue is caused by me having custom line styles associated with layers by default.
As soon as I removed the custom line styles in the default settings the lines import as expected between versions.

I should stress that my layer list was identical in both versions, but there must be some difference in the way the defaults (or the line styles) are saved between the 2 versions, causing the conflict.

This means I need to set the line style on individual files, but that is still quicker than having to modify them when they are wrong!

Lar

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 06:35:44 AM »
(If I continue drawing having just changed layer by same-as, the lines are drawn in whatever type as the previously current layer)
In the early days of layer properties (can't remember which version) changing to a layer with properties (by any means) would set those properties as default. Then things got changed to the way they are now (I think because some users who were use to the way autocad somehow did it began complaining, but I could be wrong). This was a major setback for me.

However, lucky me, who had created tons of macros mainly to battle the silly need to always scroll when dealing with any built-in feature involving layers, I discovered that changing layers via macros would make the layer properties the defaults. I even have a macro to "change" the already current layer to itself so it sets the defaults for me, for when I find myself using one of the built in ways of changing the current layer.

Lar
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:37:22 AM by Lar »

Rob S

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »
Appears to me that changing layers by way of the layer toolbox finger does immediately change the drawing style to that of the selected layer, bearing in mind that the option to draw "linestyle by layer" and "color by layer" must be turned on in the options menu.

If this is turned off, the drawn object will not have the by-layer flag, but this can later be applied in the info box.
User since Pro-design