Author Topic: Rubber band disappears in 2018  (Read 1084 times)

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: Rubber band disappears in 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 02:12:18 PM »
Assuming you installed 'for all users', try resetting the program to defaults.

Close DesignCAD.
In your My Documents/DesignCAD 3D Max 2018 64-bit folder, delete all ini files beginning with 'DC_'.
Open the registry editor and browse to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\IMSIDesign\DesignCAD\2018\DCAD 3D MAX x64
Expand that key to make sure it's the right one -- it should have several subkeys such as DCCommandBars, DCCommandBars-Bar0, and so on.
Make sure the DCAD 3D MAX x64 key is still highlighted, and delete it.

Now restart DesignCAD -- it should go back to default settings. Any difference in behavior?

If not, check the task manager and see if ipoint.exe is listed in the running processes -- if it is, terminate it and check DesignCAD again.
25 years with DesignCAD

adriank

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »
Thanks, DT, for your suggestions.
I followed your instructions to reset defaults, and to begin with I thought it may have fixed the problem because it ran a little longer before going wrong - but in the end the same problem came back.
I then went in search of ipoint.exe, and to my surprise it was there and running. I didn't realize I had 'Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Centre' installed, so I uninstalled it immediately.
So far the fault has not come back, but I've not had any heavy CAD sessions yesterday so I can't be sure yet.

The 'ipoint' factor has not been a problem at all with DCad 2016 (which has been running on this machine for at least 6 months) so assuming it's fixed, something new in the program must have made this old problem re-surface.

Adrian

adriank

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
The latest news.
The problem has not gone away, so ipoint.exe was not causing it.
I can now re-create the problem - I was lucky that the very first thing I tried to do this morning caused it to happen again.
I copied some data from an existing drawing and pasted it into a new drawing - the new drawing (and the old one in the background) was now broken. (no rubber band)

I figured there must be something in the old drawing that was causing it so I started deleting elements a few at a time (re checking as I went).
I finally deleted EVERY entity, re-drew a single line and copied that line to the clipboard. I opened a new file, pasted the line into it and the program was then broken.
What I cannot do is open DCad 2016, make  new file with a line in it and use that to trigger the problem. It seems that the problem is only created when I attempt to take data via the clipboard from a file that was created before 2018 was installed on my machine.
Can anyone who has time please try opening the attached file in 2018, select the one line and copy it to the clipboard.
Open a new blank drawing and paste the line into it, and then see if your parallel, extend etc commands are functioning normally?

Adrian

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 07:05:38 AM »
Yes, on first attempt the effect you describe occurs for me in the new pasted drawing.

After F2, the rubber band line does not appear until after escape is pressed, does not appear at all for extend, etc.

Also, doing the exact same steps in V2016 the effect does not occur, so this appears to confirm it is a new issue in V2018.

I do notice a distinct hesitation when pasting this particular line, compared to pasting any other single line into a new blank drawing.

I don't see any unusual properties of the line in question, tried creating a similar drawing in V2016, then opening in V2018, and pasting in the line, and no problem that way.

As a question, would you say in previous cases where the effect occurred, that you had pasted a entity from previous drawings, or were there other ways in which the effect first occurred??
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:31:14 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 07:50:43 AM »
Thanks for those additional details, adrian. I too have been able to reproduce the issue using your file. We'll have programming look into it, and I'll see if I can figure out a way to 'un-break' it while we await a proper fix.

DT
25 years with DesignCAD

Rob S

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 08:10:34 AM »
Further to that, I can open adrians drawing in V2016, copy, and then paste into V2018 new blank drawing and the effect occurs, while pasting from either source into V2016 no effect.

I have not yet found any other old drawings of mine or of others from which pasting into V2018 causes this issue, so it seems to be something relatively unique to Adrians drawing.

Also, if I paste his line into one of my existing drawings, the effect does not occur.  Very puzzling indeed.
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 08:32:17 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys.
Fortunately there are no earth-shattering consequences with this - just needs a restart to fix - and now I've figured out the cause I'm trying to do my drawing imports more prudently.
I've been trying to find a way to 'sanitize' my reference drawings but with no luck.
Saving the source file as a 2018 file doesn't help.
Copying the source file entities into a new 2018 file, saving it and exiting to reset the rubber band also does not clean up the source info.
In other words the drawings need to be created with original entities generated in 2018 in order to get the copy/paste to work properly.

Rob,
That sample file was newly created in V2016. I opened a blank drawing, drew one line and saved it as 'test 6'.
Taking entities out of any of my 2016 files gives the same result.
I just tried opening a file from 2004 - no idea what DCad version that would've been - and it worked fine. Then I took something from a file dated 2014 and that did cause the problem, so it is not just my V2016 installation that causes it but it's also not all previous versions.
Could it be some settings I've set up within the (older) programs that cause this?
As you say, very puzzling...

Rob S

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
To know that, one would need to know exactly what properties of a line are copied in the clipboard.

I'm often amazed how one can copy stuff from one program or version to another without issues, so the fact there are a few is not surprising!!!
User since Pro-design

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 09:58:17 AM »
Try this somewhat-less-convenient workaround:
From the original drawing, select what you want and use Save As to save just the selected entities to a new drawing.
Then in the new 2018 drawing file, use Symbol Load with 'Load as original entities' checked to insert those objects into the drawing.

Meanwhile, I've asked programming to take a hard look at this issue.
25 years with DesignCAD

adriank

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 07:53:46 PM »
Thanks DT, I'll try that - but I'm not sure whether it'd be faster than saving the file and restarting DCad. I can also see me cluttering up my already messy file system with heaps of files that by the time the job's done I'm not sure if I need or not!

I do have some more breaking news. After Rob commented he can only replicate the fault with my file but none of his I decided to reset my DC2016 to system defaults (following your earlier instructions).
After the reset if I create a new file in '16 and copy that to '18 I no longer have the problem.
After the brief excitement that I may be able to resave my source files and 'clean' them before clipping stuff, I then discovered that has absolutely no effect on existing files.

During my step-by-step re-do of my settings and preferences I discovered another bizarre problem - but I dobn't think it's related to this issue so I'll start a new thread.

adriank

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »
I just had the same issue happen to me again, while working on a new drawing that was started from scratch in V2018.

Working exclusively in V2018, I tried to copy  group of entities into a new file & the issue had appeared again.
Then I realized my 'new' drawing actually had a titleblock in it that was copied from a file dating back at least 10 years.
(I was NOT trying to copy the titleblock again when the issue came back)

I worked out from experimenting that any one entity copied took with it the 'bug' into another file. From the new file (even after resetting it by restarting DCad) any new element drawn also creates the issue if copied into another file. The single line drawn in the attached file was freshly drawn in V2018 in a file that contained only one other element which had been copied (all in V2018) from the drawing I had the problem with yesterday (also started in V2018, but containing my imported titleblock).

Importing my one-line file as a symbol into a new file still has the problem when I try to edit (stretch or offset line) until I save, close and restart DCad ... again.

During one attempt, I closed DCad to reset the problem and then - without opening any source files - pasted the line (still in Windows memory on the clipboard) into a blank file, and it still had the problem.

This thread should be moved to the 'Help' section because I now need psychiatric help!

Rob S

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
At this stage we can only hope the programmers find the issue and fix it in 2018.1

We really have no way of knowing what the clipboard picks up that causes the issue.
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 07:20:46 PM »
I worked out that exporting a file to DWG and then importing it again 'sanitizes' it & that my be worth doing with some of my main template files, but DWG makes a mess of the layer numbering & presets.
As far as I can work out layer 0 is incompatible with DWG so that layer gets moved to layer 1 and renamed '0' if there are no preset values or names in subsequent layers everything gets shifted to a layer one number higher.
If the layers are named, they stay in position but a copy of it is made with the suffix xxxxx_(2) and assigned to the next unnamed empty layer. If there are no preset colour or line styles in a named layer, then it assigns a colour of black and line style 'continuous' to the copy.

So now my 40 preset layers have expanded to 80 presets, any deliberately vacant layers I've left are now named_(2) & preset to black/continuous.
That at least is correctable and may be worth doing on some of my more frequently used template files if the fix is not imminent.

Dr PR

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »
Adrian,

It is interesting that copying from one file into a new file carries over the problem. I have used that trick to clean up drawings that were misbehaving, and then saving the new drawing with the copy as the original files. I guess now I need to be more careful.

Sounds like you may have a corrupted file, perhaps carrying along objects in your original files that are beyond the "end of file" mark. I seem to recall something like that happening in an earlier version many years ago. Selecting drawing entities and copy/pasting them into a blank drawing eliminated that problem though. Looks like copy/paste doesn't clear up the problem you are having.

Just curious - are you using blocks or symbols in the original drawings? Have you tried purging unused blocks? Do you use nested groups - these put invisible "containers" in odd places in drawings.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

adriank

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »
Hi Phil,
Thanks for your comments. You may be right that I have a corrupted file  - but that may have been created (or imported) any time within the last 20 years! Every time I copy an element from one drawing to another it seems to infect the new drawing too so that all the parts of the new drawing now inherit the same issue. Trying to track that one down is beyond my patience - I'm hoping the Oompa Loompas in IMSI can find a magic pill for me!

I'm not using blocks or symbols, but I do use nested groups. I have just 'sanitized' a few of my main go-to template files by exporting them to DWG and bringing them back - that means I go through the painful process of fixing the layers - but it also means I lose all my groups so I had to re-group everything again. In my sample furniture file that was a lot of re-grouping!

Adrian