Author Topic: Rubber band disappears in 2018  (Read 1082 times)

adriank

Rubber band disappears in 2018
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:23:08 PM »
Has anyone had an issue where the green 'predictive line' on the 'parallel by distance', 'extend' (and possibly other commands) disappears until the command is cancelled - and then it displays?

This has happened to me twice now and the only way to make it work properly is to close DCad and re-start it.
It does not affect the rubber band on hatches & planes when drawing them, nor the predictive line on new lines/ortho lines.
My subject line is a little misleading then, sorry - neither am I predicting this will happen next year of course, but that's not my fault & was bound to happen if you name a program 'next year'...

Adrian

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: Rubber band disappears in 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 07:18:33 AM »
RedSDK Mode off or on?
25 years with DesignCAD

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:24:41 AM »
Maybe where you live, you are ahead of your time, and it is already 2018.

Lots of people are driving 2018 cars, and they don't seem to be disappearing at least that I have heard of  :)

My rubber band line seems to be functioning normally on those two commands running regular mode. 

Are you running in RED mode by any chance?

There I see new lines drawn using F2 sometimes do not display at all until they are moved....
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »
Red is turned off, so it's not that. (Panes are also off, as I've seen all sorts of display issues in the past caused by that)
Since I posted the issue it has happened again - tonight, and I can tell you I was doing nothing except eating my dinner!!

I left my current drawing open - and working normally - while I went and had dinner, when I came back the rubber band had snapped.
It was the very first command I asked it to do ...

Again, shutting DCad and re-starting fixed it but just closing the file and re-opening that does not fix it. It remains an issue on all files opened after it happens until the restart.

My dinner was particularly spicy (I am in Thailand, after all) d'you think that would cause it?

Adrian

Rob S

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »

It may not be caused by the spicy dinner itself, but is it possible that you exhaled near the screen just after returning, and the cool green rubber band line just melted?  ;)

Or maybe your ability to see cool colors is affected?

So this happens after running for about how long, and with how many drawings open, and what size of drawing files?
User since Pro-design

adriank

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
Well now, you are asking difficult questions & I should tell you that I don't recall...

To the best of my knowledge I started up DCad about 9 hours previously & I've been working on several different projects today - however, I only had one file open this evening and it's very small. Would have been only 400odd Kb at that time.
When it happened yesterday the file was bigger - about 2Mb & there were probably other files of similar sizes open too.

It's all 2D work at the moment too.

The chillies I was eating actually affect my ability to see any colours, mainly because I'm crying!

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
Does this also affect your ability to see the rubberband box when selecting or using Zoom Window? When that's happened in the past, picking just about any command from the menu seems to solve it...
Also, does it matter if Preset Point Mode is off or on?
25 years with DesignCAD

adriank

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 04:46:50 PM »
I never use preset point mode, so that is definitely off.
I'll have to wait for this to occur again to confirm with zoom window, but I don't think it's affected. I was adjusting the zoom while experiencing this, just don't recall if I used zoom window. The green line does still appear when using the 'line' command - it appears to only occur when editing an existing entity in some way - either by extending it or offsetting it.
I did use several other commands when this first happened as I was in a hurry to finish a drawing and I muddled through & finished it without the aid of the rubber band, and it stayed broken until I re-started.

Lar

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »

Just today I was doing a parallel. I was zoomed in on a 12" square line, I hit F2, clicked on the line, moved the cursor away from the line and... the rubberband was nowhere in sight. I was saying to myself "this must be what adriank was talking about on the forum", then I noticed the rubberband in another window that was not so zoomed in. The rubberband was very far from the 12" square. I glanced up at the little dialog and noticed I had the distance set to 144"!! It didn't show in the zoomed in window because it was too big. ::) ;D

FYI (for the whole community out there): Other reasons why the rubberband may not show is if you try to parallel a Plane entity, or if you don't realize something else is selected and the 'selected only' option is enabled.

Lar

adriank

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
It just happened to me again this morning. I was in the middle of doing basic editing - trimming lines etc...
The file I was editing is 631kb and I had 3 other files open in the background. (2008kb, 687kb, 2299kb)

The ONLY commands that are affected are:
Parallel
Parallel by distance
Tickmarks
Fillet
Chamfer
Extend

Everything else works as expected - including zoom window etc.

To be clear, it does not stop the command from working, it just doesn't preview what is going to happen so I can't see if the outcome is going to be satisfactory.
I tried to do a parallel by distance, noticed the green prediction did not display so I hit 'esc' and then the green line appeared. This is the opposite of what should happen, that is - the green line displays while the command is active and disappears if i hit 'esc'.

Adrian

adriank

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »
The plot thickens.
Just after I restarted 2018 it happened again!
Possibly fortunately because I'd omitted to check what happens in preset point mode. Now, I never use preset point so I had to learn how that works. This is what I see happening on parallel by distance.

I preset a point by a line, clicked the mouse on the tool in the toolbar and when I moved the mouse back on screen the green line did appear - on the side of the line closest to where my mouse was. When I moved the mouse to the other side of the line the green line did not flip to the other side however, so it's broken in preset point too.

Then comes the plot thickening.
I saved my work and closed down DCad 2018, then inadvertently open 2016 by mistake.
When I opened the file only a few elements were in it - essentially only the lines I'd recently modified were still there. Everything else - that had been created in 2016 - was gone!
After cleaning my underwear, I re-opened the same file in 2018 and everything returned as it should be. I did a save-as (to protect my work) then saved the same file again in 2018 while it was not broken - that file then opens normally in 2016, albeit with a slight hesitation where the edited lines appear first, then a fraction of a second later the rest of the file appears. (all the bits that were gone completely when I'd saved the file in 2018/broken.

Dr PR

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 09:43:13 PM »
V27.0x64 (V2018)
Win 7 Pro 64

RedSDK off.
Not in preset point mode.
2D drawing.

With "Draw/Lines/Parallel" the green line appears after I click on a line. It follows the cursor.

With "Draw/Lines/Parallel by Distance" the green line appears at the specified distance after I click the line.

"Edit/Trim - Extend/Fillet" the green line appears after I select one line and move the cursor near the second.

"Edit/Trim - Extend/Chamfer" does not show a green line at any time.

"Edit/Trim - Extend/Extend" works OK IFF I select an end point of a line. The green line lengthens or shortens from that end as I move the cursor. However, if I just select the line at some other point it sometimes works OK and at other times the green line lengthens with the cursor but both ends of the line move  AFTER the command is finished. In one case the line disappeared, but came back after the view was refreshed.

Phil

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

adriank

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 03:00:44 AM »
Hi Phil,
You are correct, the chamfer command never shows the green line (maybe it should?) so that command is not affected.

For the 'Extend' command I've never had any issues using it, but you do need to click on the line relatively close to the end you want to extend, otherwise (if you go beyond half way) it will edit the other end of the line instead. The command will extend or shorten a line so it is likely you are dragging the wrong end of the line over the end you did want to edit and reversing the direction of the line.

My program just went wrong again - if this keeps up I'm going to have to go back to 2016 because it's getting tedious.
I did observe some other actions that are affected too.
In point-select mode if I move or add a point to either a line, hatch or plane the rubber band fails to appear.

This last time it broke, I was using the text box to change the size of a group of text, but I can't replicate the action that breaks it...

Rob S

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 08:22:54 AM »
I'm trying hard to replicate this phenomenon, but so far no luck.

Keep posting your steps as best you can recall before it happens.

Do you run any macros in the drawings or sessions you are working on?

Any settings changes from default, or other notable customizations?

User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 02:11:43 PM »
Adrian,

I'll bet you are right about "Extend." I saw the strange behavior after I clicked near the center of the line, and I probably did stretch the wrong end. Lesson learned!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987