Author Topic: initial impressions of newest version Max 2018  (Read 1192 times)

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: initial impressions of newest version Max 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »
OK, got it.

The last sample drawing you uploaded appears to crash DCAD when attempting to hatch the 2 unit wide outermost perimeter.   However, it has not actually crashed, an esc keypress gets you out of the wait cursor, and it says command failed.

This should not really fail, as the lines are complete and connected.  Problem appears to be related to the two wide lines across the bottom.

Workaround Solution is to temporarily remove or hide those two lines. You can place them on layer 2 using info box and hide that layer, then hatch, then turn layer 2 back on again, or just move them back to layer 1.

Whatever is causing this problem is not new to V2018, it does the same thing using V26.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:12:39 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

paul craig

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
Thanks Rob, yes it was a problem before, it is not new. I had not thought to use escape before, will try it later.

It must be something to do with the way I construct these larger units. The two thick lines are the fold lines, and I could indeed put them on a lower layer until
hatch fill is finished off, had not thought about it before, and in fact we have not looked at that idea before I do not think.

I will find a couple of other things, because often when I make shapes with circles in them, the whole does not hatch fill completely, it does it in erratic shapes,
will try to remember next time it happens and give you a copy file to look at. I also find that sometimes I can hatch fill the whole unit in one go, then another it stalls, and
then I have to fill in sections. Not as consistent as I would like.

The other thing I have noticed in the last two versions I have used is that when I re-open after closing down, the first one or two files are "temp " files, not the name under which
I actually saved them. If you then double click it changes back to the proper file name. I also note that it takes longer than in the past when I press the file item to get the latest files.

However, some other things are better, will enumerate later
Paul

adriank

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »
Paul, I may be able to help with the 'temp' files you are getting.
I've noticed (and reported) for several versions now that the temp file is created if I close DCad without first having saved my work, and I close the file from the popup 'Do you want to save xxxx'.
If I save the file normally before closing down the temp file is not created.
If a temp file is displayed in the recent files list it actually displaces all the files below it, so that if I click the 3rd file down the list it will actually open the 4th file listed.
After a file has been opened the temp file disappears and everything returns to normal.

Adrian

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
Paul, not sure why it works, but select the shape you are trying to hatch fill, open the Info Box, and use the 'Reverse Points' icon, then try hatch-filling the area. This appears to work ok for me either on the long vertical shape or on the wide line that crosses it.
25 years with DesignCAD

paul craig

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
interesting DT, I will see if that makes anything easier.

Rob, is there a way in which I can send you one of my latest completed files, it is I think too big for the attachments here?

The you will see what I do, and if you check some of it, maybe you will get some of the problems I get.

As for the temp files. I am getting it even when I save and close, generally one, or maybe two are at the top. If I then close the file box, and
re open they disappear.

The real trouble still though is when I open the F2 box and depending on my input, I think it has something to do with using 0.8 a lot .

There are a lot of things in my so far limited usage that I really like. However you may remember that some time ago we drew a 3 chimney
and I re-opened the link, and tried the ideas suggested, but found it difficult to achieve what I wanted, has anything else changed in surface connect?
Paul

Rob S

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
You can either zip your drawing file, which might well make it fit the upload limits, or send me a PM with your email, and I can then send you mine.
User since Pro-design

paul craig

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
will do Rob.

another point which has troubled me for ages.
Why so often is the line scale set on the info box at 2? and yet sometimes, I have seen it at only 1. Is there a way to set it consistently when you install DCAD?
I know that I can change it whilst working, but why does it always on my install, set up as 2, surely that should be something we can set up in Q when installing
or running DCAD for the first time?
paul

it now being friday, I have found how to change the line style in the L format box, but it is a bit complex, and surely it is something that should be able to be
changed before you actually start using the programme. It seems boring to have to change it for each drawing which is what I think we seem to have to do now.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:31:20 PM by paul craig »

paul craig

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 03:22:35 AM »
more fun from the weekend.

Why is when you draw a circle using centre dia, and then copy it using the N command, that later, you find that the moved circle has a different starting point?
Ie the original starts at 0, and goes anti clockwise back through 90 to 360, but when you copy it, it seems to start elsewhere. The real impact seems to be when I
am cutting back and using F2 to start the etch outline processes.

Paul

Rob S

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »
My copied circles appear to retain their starting point at 0 degrees (to the right on my drawing)

I can change where it is by rotating the circle.  Where the starting point is "should" not affect trim operations.

One thing I noticed in some of your drawings that you sent me is some entities overlapping at corners ie where straight meets radius, creating "double-back" effects when combined into a single entity with "B", which are sometimes hard to track down, and cause havoc with offset and hatch operations.

Not sure how to avoid this without knowing exactly how you set about cutting back to intersections, etc.  One possible way might be to use "Fillet" command at corners rather than circles and lines.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:19:57 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

paul craig

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
Hi Rob,
thanks for checking out.

In most cases, I have found that fillet does not always work properly when doing the work I do, so I use offset by distance to intersect the corner, and then draw a circle from that
centre point. I then tend to cut the circle using D command, and then use the E command to cut back to the intersection. So maybe this is the problem in terms of the cut back is
not correct?? I try to use join ends too, but not sure how that works in this case.

Let me try something in the next couple of days and see if it makes any more sense.

Paul

Dr PR

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
Paul,

When I need to create a rounded corner where two lines meet I normally use the "Fillet" command, but sometimes that just doesn't work.

In that case I draw a circle tangent to the two lines with the desired radius. Then I use the "Perpendicular to a Line" function, starting at the circle center and creating perpendiculars to both lines. Then I use the "Arc (Center, Begin, End) command to create an arc. After this I delete the circle.

This technique has the advantage that the end points of the lines and the arc always join perfectly - no overlap, offset, etc.

I would avoid using the "D" function to cut lines/circles etc. if end points must meet - as they must do with hatches and fills. You must position the cut box precisely, and this is very difficult to do if lines are not orthogonal. Even then I is questionable what results you might get.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 10:01:07 AM »
We also have the new in-version-2018 'Arc Tangent to Two Lines' command, which basically 'Fillet without trimming back the original lines'. Might be worth a try.
25 years with DesignCAD

paul craig

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »
Thanks Rob and DT. one thing about the perpendicular to a line command is that the length of the line in the initial dialogue box seems to be fixed, and thus for many of us too long.

I will though try your method Rob, but as I have said before, one of the problems with the B command that I generally use to check everything connected, is that it often does not
give you a joined entity, although the "outline" shows as if joined, but later you find there is a gap, albeit quite small. The big problem with the fillet command for me is the number of
times when trying to use it, it creates a reverse curve. 

My method for creating curves involves setting a centre by using the F2 command rather than perpendicular to, because mainly of my difficulty in using it with the length of the arm.
I then use Circle diameter for drawing the items. I might test with using the info box to cut the circles back, rather than yet another operation using arc centre etc.

I will also try arc tangent to two lines.
Paul

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 12:01:38 PM »
If Fillet (or Arc Tangent to Two Lines) creates the complement of the arc you wanted, just select the arc, open the Info Box, and click on the 'Complement the Arcs' icon (the red and blue circle). Or press the Spacebar and enter 'ComplementArc' on the command line. This is usually more efficient than undoing and retrying the same command over and over in hopes of getting a different result.
25 years with DesignCAD

Dr PR

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 09:37:12 AM »
Paul,

"Draw/Lines/Perpendicular to a Line" has no fixed line length. You set a point somewhere away from the line and move the cursor near the line you want the perpendicular drawn to, and the green rubber band line snaps perpendicular to the line from the point. Clicking then finishes the perpendicular.

"Draw/Lines/Perpendicular from a Line" asks for a line length. Then you set a point on the line the perpendicular is to be drawn from, move the cursor to the side where you want the perpendicular, and then click to finish the line.

This is explained in the Reference Manual.

I use "Perpendicular to a Line" to draw arcs and circles that are tangent to the line.

For a circle set a point at the center of the desired arc/circle. Then draw the perpendicular from the center point to the line. Now use "Draw/Circles/Circle(center, outside" (O) to draw a circle tangent to the line,

or

For an arc set the center point and draw perpendiculars to two intersecting lines. Use "Draw/Arcs/Arc (center, begin, end) to draw an arc tangent to the line at the begin point and then around to the line perpendicular to the second line. Then draw the second tangent line from the arc end point using "Draw/Lines/Tangent from a Circle."

These techniques always put the circle/arc on the correct side of the line iff you put the center point in the right place.

The definition of a tangent line is a line that touches a circle or arc at one and only one point (geometric point = no length, width or height = zero dimensions = one infinitely small point). A line from the center of a circle or arc to the tangent point is always perpendicular to any line tangent to the circle/arc at the tangent point.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987