Author Topic: initial impressions of newest version Max 2018  (Read 1703 times)

paul craig

initial impressions of newest version Max 2018
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
Hi Guys, back using again, and so I went mad last weekend and bought the latest version Max 2018. I am using a 64 bit machine with Win 10 and latest updates. HP with Intel I7 2600
3.40GHz quad core 8 gig memory.

In many ways it is better, but initially, there seem to be a couple of problems which are unusual,
 or it could always be me :o

1/When I close out and use the close all command, I do not get the dialogue box for saving coming up.
2/I still get a problem in the distance info box where it is not stable, and there is a blue box meaning that I need to input the data often to get it right.
3/ I actually find with the hatch command that using red not black initially means I get more stable hatching, still get a crash occasionally, but less often.

Paul

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: initial impressions of newest version Max 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »
My copy does give me a save dialog upon close-all if I have actually edited the drawing that is open.

Merely zooming in or changing views does not bring about a save dialog, as there is basically nothing new to save.  Can you test that again by drawing one new entity, and then closing?

I don't understand you item 2 - can you explain a bit further??

Can you post or upload the drawing where hatching causes a crash for us to test?
User since Pro-design

paul craig

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »
Hi rob,
thanks for the speedy reply.
With Item 1, it is weird, I did a lot of work earlier today, at least two hours, and closed all, and didn't get the dialogue box. Just now have done a little work, and got the dialogue box, so really not sure.

As for the info box item. I use f2 a lot and that is the box I mean, indeed also f for fillet, in both these I try to input a specific number and maybe some decimal places, and as I am entering it,
the box has a blue area which does not accept the numbers. It normally takes about 3 attempts to get what I want. I know we discussed this earlier, and you thought there had been a patch
but I expected that 2018 would not need that, especially since I have the latest Win 10 updates from last week too, plus checked that all my drivers are up to date, which should not impact
DCAD, but why not check?

I will again later post a hatch detail when I get another stall, or crash, it is better, but it still is there.

Paul

Rob S

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
I cannot duplicate you issue with the F2 or the Fillet commands

Mine accepts whatever numbers and decimals I type into it. 

Can you make a screenshot of the condition - maybe???
User since Pro-design

bdeck

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »
As for the info box item. I use f2 a lot and that is the box I mean, indeed also f for fillet, in both these I try to input a specific number and maybe some decimal places, and as I am entering it, the box has a blue area which does not accept the numbers.

Hi Paul,
I've been having a somewhat similar problem where the input dialog (for example for the F2 command)  rejects my input as I am typing and opens a scolding popup asking for new numeric input. Your comment prompted me try to force the popup to appear.

I found I could force the popup to appear by typing a comma or slash (, /) or any other non-numeric character instead of the decimal point. 

Also, rather than inputting a number into the popup as requested, I found that hitting escape makes the popup and the errant character disappear, but keeps the command alive, so I can enter the correct number into the original dialog. Dunno if the attached image (from 2016) is anything like what you are seeing.

Edit:
The error popup appears only if I move the mouse during numeric input. Otherwise DC ignores the errant character and accepts the numbers without the decimal point.  DC2018 appears to be the same.

Regards,
bd
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:13:48 PM by bdeck »

paul craig

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:41:01 AM »
rob, a copy file of something that I have drawn in 2018 version.

I get different results in the different colours. The main red is ok, but I find the inner black does not fill completely
whilst the outer black also shows problems.

Paul

2/ I have just moved this from my latest drawing to a prototype drawing and this is an effect I can get without much problem.
ALL the circles are drawn with centre radius etc in the draw command. I then try and use hatch fill. sometimes, like outer centre it works, other wise
like the inner centre it is fragmented, or the outer ring where it goes off to the distance.

What am I doing wrong, or has it just been ignored from before, because I have had this problem for some time.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:59:55 AM by paul craig »

Rob S

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »
Are you doing this in standard mode or in Red mode?

Hate to tell you - All of the shapes seem to hatch fill OK for me using win-solid either red or black after deleting the fragments that appear in your drawing.

I assume the text entities were removed or hidden before attempting the hatch.

When you filled the second drawing, were there any other entities visible on the drawing to stop the fill???
User since Pro-design

paul craig

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 02:37:01 PM »
Being a dummy I have no idea what Red mode is Rob ::)

The text entities were added after the drawing was drawn, not when I tried to fill.

Nothing else was directly on the drawing when I got the effect you saw on my drawing. However, what is strange, I re-drew the object in 2018 and did not get the
same effect. So I wonder whether it has anything to do with importing stuff from older versions??

Paul

Rob S

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »
RedSDK mode is a different display methodology mostly useful for larger 3D drawings.  Whe you first run the program you should get a dialog that tells you if your hardware is compatible.

If so you find it under options, options, general, redSDK options.  Like I say, not of much use for regular 2D drawing.

Can you upload the original drawing saved by the earlier version you have, I will import it myself and see if it reproduces here.
User since Pro-design

paul craig

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 01:21:42 AM »
Here Rob, are I hope a couple of attachments from earlier version files.

I might suggest you remove the original hatching, and try to re do it to see how it works please?

Also you may need to add an extra main circle to replicate the etching surround.

I am also getting some strange effects when if I join 4 of these together along a straight line, the etch margin apart, and then create a lozenge shape.

Often the hatch fill is haphazard of only part. It somehow also depends on your zoom.

Paul

Rob S

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
Tried both drawings in by opening directly in V2018 - no hatch fill failures as yet.

When you say join together, do you mean place adjacent to each other, but not quite touching each other along a line?  I did that and the hatch fill still works.

I don't understand about the lozenge shape.

Is there a specific set of steps you can do to make it fragment?
User since Pro-design

paul craig

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
HI Rob

here is what I ended up with, after much mucking around. I basically had to re-draw everything to overcome the problem, after importing it from some old
ie as far back as V17 drawings.

The shapes show what I mean by lozenge.

I certainly cannot give you any real idea of how I get to the stage where I am having problems, except that it seems to happen after I try to create the etch shape
for multiples of items.

If only I knew it was going to happen, then I could prepare things for you to check later.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble though.

Re RedSK, you are right I did get a message, but I seem not to have all the right bits to take it on board, so did not bother to load it.

Paul

paul craig

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 05:58:19 AM »
Here we go again.

I just drew this item and then tried to create the etch space. But it keeps crashing. I am beginning to wonder if my NVDIA card is not working like I would like.

Paul

Rob S

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 07:04:31 AM »
Paul, I have your drawing, but I do not know what steps you would take next to "create the etch space"

I am able to offset by distance your outside perimeter line, and then hatch fill the resulting closed space with no problem.

Can you detail the commands you would use that actually cause the crash?

As another idea, do you have any other computer available to use or borrow upon which to install DCAD and try the same steps and see if the problem is in fact related to your machine???
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:15:36 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

paul craig

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »
OK
Rob. The red outline in the middle with a line across the bottom, is the piece I need. Having drawn that, I then use the F2 command and then create another copy which
is 2 units away and in line, as you can see in the drawing. I then undertake the F2 command for the outline, ending up with 2 of them. I have to cut them back using D
then fix the lines using either E, or K, so that they enclose the pair. I then use the B command and then check for any gaps in case B shows it is complete, but does not
enclose everything.

This is where I want to use the hatch command not even further outside.

Hope this is cleare?

Paulr