Author Topic: Reassign Layers for Grpips & Blocks  (Read 87 times)

wil01

Reassign Layers for Grpips & Blocks
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
2D Mode
I make a group or block on Layer1.  I want to move it to Layer 10.

I select the item and activate the Info Box.  I try to move it to layer 10.  Nothing happens.  The item stays on Layer 1.

It works with other things like lines and circles.  It even works for symbols.  If I explode the group or block, I can make the assignment for each of its individual parts.;

How do I make this work for groups and block?

Wil

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: Reassign Layers for Grpips & Blocks
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »
Blocks:
To be able to 'float' the contents of blocks to any layer you want, you need to create them on Layer 0 before defining your block. Otherwise, even if you move the block itself to another layer, the contents remain on their original layers. This is generally how Blocks are designed to work (you find similar behavior in AutoCAD). Only block contents on layer 0 'float' to the same layer as the block itself.

Groups:
It's a somewhat similar situation with groups, if you have Nested Groups enabled (as it is by default). When you select a Nested Group and move its layer, you're just moving the layer of the container entity, not the members inside the group. To move the whole mess to another layer, use one of these two methods:
1) Use the Layer Toolbar to change the current layer; then select the desired group and use the "A+" button in the Layer Toolbar to assign the current layer to everything selected.
or
2) Select the group and open the Info Box. Click on the Edit Group button. Select the topmost group container, and change its layer -- all the contained objects will be moved as well.

OR, turn off Nested Groups entirely ('Q' for Options, 'General' tab, check the box labeled 'Don't use nested groups'). Now when you move a group to a different layer, it affects all the contents of the group. However, you can't then have groups inside of groups. Say you defined Group 1, then selected that and some other stuff and defined Group 2. With Nested Groups off, when you explode Group 2, there's no Group 1 still hanging around as a group -- all of the contents of Group 2 are now individual items.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:14:23 AM by DrollTroll »
25 years with DesignCAD

wil01

Re: Reassign Layers for Grpips & Blocks
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
Thank you!

That is one of the best tutorial I have ever seen.  I'll save it for future reference.

Wil