Author Topic: Installing my 2016 3D version on my present computer.  (Read 274 times)

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
Re: Installing my 2016 3D version on my present computer.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 04:11:18 AM »
That's why I use Revo Uninstaller (free) to uninstall programs. It's amazing how many remnants are left after a standard uninstall.
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Grandcad

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »
Are you saying that you uninstalled it.
Then you reinstalled it with Serial key: DECA-4**7-0**5-0**0-4**0
Then On startup you entered  Activation key: 4**6-F**D-8**2-0**E
And it still says its a trial?

Yes, that's correct, I had already requested a Trial Extension to keep me going till I could find out how to convert it to a permanent (paid) second copy, hoping I could do just that by following instructions from Helpdesk.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:56:55 PM by Grandcad »

Grandcad

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 07:09:09 PM »
That's why I use Revo Uninstaller (free) to uninstall programs. It's amazing how many remnants are left after a standard uninstall.

I did notice that I was asked if I wanted to overwrite an existing DesignCad program when I re-installed so maybe it wasn't fully uninstalled!
I do tend to be a bit wary of downloading free programs (apps?) though, because it often attracts unwanted stuff! - maybe I'm being over cautious because it's a new laptop!

Need to get all this sorted asap because this thread is becoming embarrasingly long! :-[
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:13:36 PM by Grandcad »

Dr PR

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »
It won't be too long until the problem has been solved!

I am curious. How do you install the program? The installer gives us two options - "for every user" and "just for me."

If you use the "just for me" option you can install the program anywhere. I use

C:\DesignCAD VXX.X\Program

This way I can install multiple versions without them overwriting each other.

Also, try using "Run as Administrator." That gets around some of the BS Microsoft has put into Windows.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Grandcad

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »
It won't be too long until the problem has been solved!

I am curious. How do you install the program? The installer gives us two options - "for every user" and "just for me."
If you use the "just for me" option you can install the program anywhere. I use
C:\DesignCAD VXX.X\Program
This way I can install multiple versions without them overwriting each other.

Also, try using "Run as Administrator." That gets around some of the BS Microsoft has put into Windows.
Phil

Thanks, - Yes, I may need to choose "just for me" and I did do the "run as administrator".

Just a couple other things, do I need to get yet another Activation key, and use the Serial@ from my original paid version? - hope not but if I have to go cap in hand only one more time then I will! ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:35:13 PM by Grandcad »

Grandcad

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 03:51:40 PM »
Yes the trial version (on this computer) uses those, but the serial# for the installed version (on my old computer is DEBZ-7**2-0**4-0**0-3**5. 
I decided to try uninstalling again (with the uninstall program mentioned earlier) and re installed again - but still only have the trial version because it wouldn't accept a serial# other than the one they supplied for the new download.
So I'm at a loss once again! and the last instruction from help desk has only got me more confused!  ::)

BTW I am not in USA I am in New Zealand, and it is 11am Monday, so that may explain the pauses in replying (19 hours ahead of you).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:31:14 PM by Grandcad »

Grandcad

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 02:00:31 AM »
Serial #:  DECA-4758-0525-1300-4180
Activation Code: 2**8-4**9-6**6-6E*7     -

Unfortunately , as I said I have done another uninstall/reinstall since and these were emailed to me (as last time).
I tried to install it with my original (paid) serial# but it wouldn't accept it. so I reinstalled it with these and as expected, I'm back where I started, with 12 days to go.
The serial# showing when I go to 'Help/about', the serial # displayed matches the above.

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 02:42:29 AM »
I'll say it again... (I've been using the program for about 10 years, through many updates, without problems.)

Revo Uninstaller

A review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/revo-uninstaller-free

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
The exe that you download is a self-extracting setup file -- it extracts the *actual* setup files to a folder in C:\Program Files (x86), and then launches the actual setup program from that folder.

When you uninstall, the extracted setup files aren't deleted -- you could just re-run setup from that extracted folder. If you don't and you re-run the downloaded exe file, it'll re-extract over the original setup files; this is why you were getting the message to replace some files. Note that this was NOT the installed files, but just the files to run the installation.

When you install using an upgrade serial number, you typically need three things: 1) the upgrade serial number, which allows you to install the program; 2) the upgrade activation code; and 3) the serial number of the version you're upgrading from.

Your DECA serial number is for the trial, and is not the upgrade serial number. The upgrade serial number should start with DEBZ.

I suggest re-installing with the Trial serial number. Once you get that running, click on Purchase and Activate, and enter your purchased (upgrade) serial number and activation code. Also have your previous 3D Max serial number handy in case you need it.
25 years with DesignCAD

Grandcad

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 11:53:11 PM »
Success at last! - and I must admit that I haven't really got a clue what I actually did to deserve that! (I am reasonably sharp in engineering matters,) but computers! ...... Duh  ::)

I think I may somehow (sub-consciously) have made the right moves after reading over what you guys said in all your helpful posts.

So thank you all for that and I'm sure I will be seeking your advice again in the future!  :)

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »
And there was much rejoicing!
25 years with DesignCAD