Author Topic: Installing my 2016 3D version on my present computer.  (Read 445 times)

Grandcad

Installing my 2016 3D version on my present computer.
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
Hi, I want to install my 2016 DC max 3D on this computer as well, ( I have already purchased this and is being used on my other computer).
I had downloaded a trial version and want to install it permanently here as well, as it seems my already purchased one can be used on both computers.
I have contacted the help desk and they sent me the relevant codes but when I tried to install it, I was told to punch in a serial # for an already purchased version, which I duly did , but no luck, It just won't accept anything I throw at it! - then on top of it all, it now won't allow me on to the trial version either, without an activation code and of course when I do that, it's the same old thing over again! - The help desk is so slow that I have decided to come here.
So if someone here can help ..... I would be most obliged.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:40:23 PM by Grandcad »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Installing my 2016 3D version on my present computer.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »
Designcsd used to allow at least a couple of installations using the original download, serial number, and activation code.

If that does not work, maybe Mr troll can provide some assistance
User since Pro-design

Grandcad

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:52 PM »
Thanks, - unfortunately it looks that the original activation code could be missing - however, they sent me an email apparently with the relevant codes but they just wouldn't work! so between that and the slow replies from the help desk, I'm tearing out what little bit of hair I've got left! :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:36:30 PM by Grandcad »

Grandcad

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »
Has anyone here had a similar problem? I'm quite sure that there is a simple answer to it all and my inexperience in solving this kind of problem probably doesn't help - all suggestions welcome

I have been sent yet another activation code from the Help Desk but still no joy! It still tells me to punch in a serial # from an already purchased version (which I do) and then it continues to reject it and asks the same thing over and over.
I have also read (here somewhere) that it's not a good idea to use "Run as administrator" as they recommend you do -
So I'm really not sure what I should do now. (Forget Design Cad ? ::) - no, maybe not! ).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:51:49 PM by Grandcad »

Rob S

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »
You really do need the serial number from your original purchase, and it must be for the version you are trying to install.  Ie if you bought 2D only, it will not work for the 3D max trial download.

IE if you are trying to install  the latest download version 26, and you actually purchased V25, you will not be able to install V26 with that serial number.

However, if you did purchase V26 3D max, the serial number really should work with the latest trial download, which AFAIK would be V2016.2 (AKA V26.2).

I am not sure if there is a download for the 2D only version....

User since Pro-design

Grandcad

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
Thanks for your reply.
The original purchased version on my other computer is 3D Max and is version 26.0, the trial version is also 3D Max (but it seemingly has now changed to a purchased version and no longer a trial version. It now opens with the message "thank you for purchasing DesignCad 3Dmax, please enter your activation code" (which I do) then up comes the message please enter a serial # for a purchased version etc etc. which I do, (ie the serial # from my original purchased version) then it doesn't accept it and keeps on making the same request each time I try.
Now I have neither a trial version nor a purchased version on this computer! It has apparently become a "purchased" version which refuses to open till I comply with punching in the correct stuff!
I go to Helpdesk and every 36 to 48 hours they just keep sending new activation codes which do not work! - so I'm stuck!

Really sorry to be a pain in the neck, but what else can I do?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:09:36 PM by Grandcad »

bdeck

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
Hi GC,

From what you post, it appears you are trying to activate an "update" version of DCv26 with the serial number from a previously purchased DCv26. What the newly installed "Update" copy is asking at startup is for a serial number from a prior version, probably between DCv22 and DCv25 (I don't recall the relevant range), not the current version 26.

If you don't have a prior version anywhere, then I'm guessing the update will not activate at all, unless you can find a live person to whom you can explain that this is not an update, but a second copy of the same version, and what you need from them is  either 1) an old serial number,  or 2) an activation code/and or serial number for a new full version.

bd

Alternatively you could simply uninstall the paid trial version, then reinstall it using the serial number and activation code from your existing paid full version. Then check with Imsi to make certain that meets their licensing requirements.

EDIT: DT Explains this much better (and more correctly) in a later post.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:50:19 PM by bdeck »

Grandcad

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:02:00 AM »
Thanks BD, I got a much quicker answer from helpdesk this time with fresh serial and activation code so I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, however I didn't dare punch in anything else but the serial# and activation code which they provided.
This at least has got my trial version back! but the next step is to make it my second copy (on this computer) of my already purchased one - The original activation code for this may be a problem to find though!
I have already filled in the helpdesk people with the details of my dilemma and hopefully they will understand and tell me what to do. I don't want the same thing to happen all over again (but it probably could!).
Don't know whether to wait till the trial runs out, or make another attempt now and risk losing it all over again!
I'm sure it'll all work out eventually.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:10:58 AM by Grandcad »

bdeck

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »
The original activation code for this may be a problem to find though!

If you cant find it in your old emails, give imsi the serno and request a new activation code for your purchased copy.

Grandcad

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 04:27:52 PM »
Don't want to keep griping about it, so here is the gist of how it is all going so far, but really I'm not much further forward - (realizing of course that I could be getting a little behind with computer technology!)  ;D :-

Me.
I am using a trial version of DesignCad 2016 - I already have this program permanently installed on another computer and want to know if it is possible to have it installed on two computers.
However If this is not possible, how can I transfer it to this computer?
Thanks, Will

Help Desk.
Hi Will,
You can install TurboCAD products on two machines and can use them on one machine at a time.
Please let me know if this was helpful and your issue is resolved so, I can close your ticket. You are always welcome to have our assistance.

Me.
I tried to install my already purchased DesignCad 16 (Serial # DEBZ-7**2-0**4-0**0-3**5) which is on my other computer, but it will not accept it - do I require a new activation code to do this?  - if so could you please send me one.

Help Desk.
Use the activation key E**1-5**8-0**7-7**7 .
Me.
Sorry, still the same , it will not accept anything , it just insists on asking for aa serial # from an already purchased version....
Me.
Should I delete everything,download another one and try that?
Help Desk
Please uninstall and then reinstall it and use the keys below
Serial key: DECA-4**7-0**5-0**0-4**0
Activation key: 4**6-F**D-8**2-0**E
Me.
Ok thanks I did that - now my trial version is back, do I have to wait until the trial is over in order to install it as my second copy of the already purchased program on my other computer, or can I do that straight away? 
If I can do that, then I need to know the proper procedure to avoid a repeat of the first failed attempt!!
Thanks,Will
Help Desk.
Hi Will ,
You can install the second copy on the other computer like you install the trial version. If it prompts some error or any thing else, you can share the screenshot of that issue with me, so we can resolve it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 04:30:03 PM by Grandcad »

Rob S

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »
I think maybe it's time to explain this to them using all caps!!!  Unless...

How do you know the version you have running is the trial version?? 

There is no difference at all in functionality, so try the Help and about, and let us know what it says.
User since Pro-design

Grandcad

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »
I know because it says there are 14 days left on this trial version! When I start it up it tells me this and gives me three options :-
1 Purchase and activate.
2 Extend trial period.
3 Activate later.
If I press purchase and activate it give me the option of purchasing an activation # and punching it in along with my serial#, but I believe that I don't need to purchase another activation code (I already have a paid version on my other computer!  ::)) As you can see I explained all that at the start but I feel that fact hasn't yet filtered through!
I am lothe to go through all that performance again - the whole scenario is all a good laugh of course, but I would really rather have my DesignCad installed and working permanently, then go and watch a good comedy on TV for my laughs!  ;D

Dr PR

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 08:55:05 PM »
This is just a guess, but in order to install a newer version using the activation codes/serial number of an earlier version you need to have the earlier version installed on the machine. The program looks for files from the earlier version for serial numbers, etc.

I think you have said you tried to install the earlier version on the new machine, and that failed - not sure, this thread is getting pretty long and i may have missed something. But I would work with IMSI to get the older version installed on the new machine. Then you should be able to install the newer version with no problems.

This is always a good idea. Each new version gets tested quite a bit by the beta testers, but not everyone uses the program the same way and some bugs to occasionally get through to the final product. With the older version installed you can always drop back to using it if you find is a really annoying bug in the newer version.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Grandcad

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 09:26:35 PM »
But I would work with IMSI to get the older version installed on the new machine. Then you should be able to install the newer version with no problems.
............With the older version installed you can always drop back to using it if you find is a really annoying bug in the newer version.
Phil

Yes, I am trying to do that and will continue trying to do that, - not sure that we are having much success as yet though - I think we are not understanding each other very well (it's probably as much my fault as their's of course) I certainly still don't understand how it should be done any more than I did at the beginning! ........ getting too old? ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:30:29 PM by Grandcad »

bdeck

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 12:55:55 AM »
Are you saying that you uninstalled it.
Then you reinstalled it with Serial key: DECA-4**7-0**5-0**0-4**0
Then On startup you entered  Activation key: 4**6-F**D-8**2-0**E

And it still says its a trial?