Author Topic: Printer problems with Design CAd 3D Max 2016  (Read 102 times)

oychris

Printer problems with Design CAd 3D Max 2016
« on: September 04, 2017, 04:59:57 AM »
Hi there
Have just started having problems when printing a selected area. Fit to paper is ticked, Centre drawing is ticked. Margins are all equal at 5.96 (have tried other margin widths) When I go to the print preview it is centred perfectly, but when I print it off, it doesnt print as per the preview and am losing two of my drawn margins. In other words the drawing is printing off to one side and lower than it should.
I have tried other printers in the office, and the same problem occurs. If I open the same drawing with an older version (Design Cad Max 21) it prints off perfectly. This seems to be an issue with the Design Cad 3D Max 2016 version.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Many thanks in advance.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Printer problems with Design CAd 3D Max 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
I can confirm that some sort of offset seems to happen from print preview to print on paper for me as well using V2016.

No idea what is causing it.  The amount of offset seems to be related to the relative size of the section and the entire drawing, more tests needed to confirm. 

One solution for me seems to be to print to cute pdf printer driver, and then print the pdf to paper if needed.  Of course, you could try adjusting the margins to counter the offset, but that would only be practical if printing many similar sections.

That seems to eliminate the offset for me.

User since Pro-design

oychris

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »
Hi Rob

Yes, it does make a difference, the relative size of the section.
I have had to offset the margins, but end up having to guess how far to offset the margins with each size of drawing. It is really anoying and I keep using up far more paper and ink than I should need to do. I have also printed to pdf, but just adds extra time to each printing job.
I may have to revert back to the V21 if no success.

Dr PR

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:11:17 PM »
Deja vu!

Back in the dark ages (1990s) DesignCAD had a similar problem. The outermost points (or lines) on two sides of the drawing would not print. Points and lines have zero width, and the math dealing with the boundary of the print area didn't work with zero thickness lines.

The fix was simple - I placed a very short line from the corner of the drawing at a 45 degree angle outward. The end point of this short line was not printed, but it placed everything else within the area that would print. The line only needed to be long enough so that the zero thickness lines and points were slightly inside the print area.

Eventually this bug was fixed, but I'm sure I still have drawings with this short kludge in them.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Rob S

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
Unfortunately, this does nothing for this current issue with the invaluable "Print Section" command, as the entire process is based on defining a rectangular section of the drawing to print by setting two corner points without actually cutting that section out of the drawing.

In fact the command will nicely print all four lines forming an ortho rectangle located someplace within a drawing when the corners of that rectangle are snapped to to define the section, which is great and as it should be.

What is screwing up here is simply the print margins, which is really quite weird, as I thought those were part of the printer definition, and not so much part of designcads output.

The margins for printing an entire drawing seem to work as they should - print preview and paper output both matches the defined widths.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:23:41 PM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

oychris

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 12:42:08 AM »
It looks like I will have to revert back to the V21, tis a shame as the Max 2016 is much more compatible with other drawing packages.

rccon

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
I don't see any "print section" on my 2016 menu, but what I often do is "section copy" a part of the drawing, paste somewhere convenient and print selection. Maybe this will work for you.

Rob S

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
It is in the file menu, three lines below the regular print command.

This allows you to set two points to define a section, and then use all of the regular print controls on that just as if you had cut it out of your drawing and pasted into new, except you don't have to do that!!!

I remember asking for this feature for a long time, and find it very useful.
User since Pro-design

rccon

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »
It wasn't on my file menu, but I found it & put it in. Should be pretty handy, thanks for the tip.