Poll

Should we continue to offer 32-bit builds of DesignCAD as new versions come out?

Yes! I still use a 32-bit version of Windows exclusively.
0 (0%)
Maybe. I still use a mix of 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows, and need DesignCAD on both.
6 (33.3%)
No thanks, I'm 64-bit all the way!
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: September 07, 2017, 12:20:59 PM

Author Topic: 32-bit user poll  (Read 239 times)

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
32-bit user poll
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
DrollTroll here, just trying to get a feel for how many users are still hanging onto 32-bit systems (or at least 32-bit versions of Windows), and thus how much demand is remaining for a 32-bit build of DesignCAD as we create new versions each year. Ditching 32-bit offers several advantages for us, but if there are still significant numbers of 32-bit users, we may wait for another version or two before doing so.
25 years with DesignCAD

JJG

Re: 32-bit user poll
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:45:56 PM »
Thanks for the news, DT

Indeed, I'm still hanging onto 32-bit version on my XP machine, that I still use a lot for some reasons (a lot of other programs and both the plotter and A0 scanner non Windows7 and later supported-compatible).
Also please wait again before selling only 64-bit version.
 ;)

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »
Would it possibly be fair to say for 32 bit users to offer extended support for current version, with possibly a bugfix or two, and extend new features only to the 64 bit version?? 

That would be the best of both worlds for all, especially given the excellent file compatibility that Designcad has always offered.

Users can continue to draw on all of their older machines, and maybe have a new copy or two on a recent machine whenever new features are required.

Thus users of new computers could benefit from the advantages offered by full 64-bit programming.
User since Pro-design

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »
I'm retiring all my old 32 bit machines, but I expect to run DC inside a virtualized XP setup when I shift completely to Linux.

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
I still have two XP machines that I occasionally use. Both have old versions of other programs that I use once in a while. One has drivers for flatbed and film scanners that do not have drivers for other versions of windows.

However, I do not use DesignCAD on either machine - if I did it would be Version 15, and then only to check differences between V15 and newer versions running on newer machines.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
I voted c but I like Rob's idea.

bdeck

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
I'm ok w/ rob's suggestion, but I have got to believe that it would be much simpler to do 2 builds of the same update.

bd

Lar

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 09:14:58 AM »

Well, I just got a tablet that's running Win 10 (got it before I voted), the good thing of which is I can load dcad, but just only found out its 32 bit. So I'm no longer exclusively-64-bit club.

I actually thought win 10 was exclusively 64 bit.

Lar

edgar

• Retired-loving every minute of it
    • My Lame Site
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 04:50:00 AM »
I wasn't going to bother to reply because I can't imagine needing to use a newer (than current) version of Design CAD on some nebulous 32-bit system. I suppose there might be some new feature that I absolutely, positively couldn't live without but, barring some post-apocalyptic situation, I don't foresee needing to use a 32-bit Windows.
-Ed