Author Topic: small cursor in stretch command  (Read 174 times)

rccon

small cursor in stretch command
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »
I'm making one of my rare attempts to do something in 3d mode, and finding the stretch command very difficult to use. I have cursor type set as 3d cursor and for most commands I get the 3-color axes which are easy to follow, but when I activate the stretch command, the cursor becomes a very small black x with a hole at it's center which is very hard to see. Is there some setting I need to change?

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: small cursor in stretch command
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »
When I issue the stretch command, I get a dialog in which I can check "use 3D selection box.

Then I get a 3D cursor and a rubber band box showing the selection.

What version are you using, in case that makes a difference?

User since Pro-design

rccon

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »
Using dcad 2017, bu I've had this in earlier versions, too. I'm somewhat 3d challenged so 3d selection box doesn't work for me. With 2d selection box and a fairly simple drawing I can select the points I want without by a box in the plane of the screen however near or distant they may be, but the cursor is so small and jumpy I can hardly tell where it is.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »
Are you running in RED mode or standard?  RED might reduce cursor jumpiness.

Do you have running snap enabled?  If so cursor will always jump to nearest snap point, try turning it off.

Cursor should move smoothly while setting points for the stretch, and it should display the 3D cursor and a selection box.

User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »
You can also "stretch" objects using Point Select mode - "CTRL 1" toggles Point Selection Mode on/off.

1. Select the object or objects to be stretched. All points will be marhed with small pen squares.

2. Select the points to be moved - the selected points will be marked with snall black squares.

3. Click on one of the selected points - this will be the movement handle.

4. Move the cursor the desired distance and angle and the selected points will follow.

5. Click to set the selected "handle" point where you want it. All other selected points will move to new positions relative to the movement handle point.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:03:09 AM »
Rccon,

In 3D mode the Stretch command works completely differently depending on whether the 'use 3-d box' is enabled or not.

If disabled you get the small cursor you described but you can press F5 to get the cursor across the full window.

HOWEVER, if you use multiple windows you should set all you points in an orthographic view (Top, Front or Side)... BUT be careful about snapping to existing points that appear on top of other points because it's hard to know which point dcad will snap to. What I'm saying is you may want to set the first two points in an orho window then set the last 2 in a 3d window (to make sure snap to the correct point - usually for point 3)... but dcad will consider all 4 points as if they were all set in the last window used... so although you were setting the 2D rubber band box for the first 2 points in the ortho window, dcad will consider the points within the rubber band box as it visually appears in the window you set the 4th point in. So, in this scenario, even if you do snap the 3rd point in the 3D window just set the last point in the same window as the first 2.

If 'use 3-d box' is enabled you will get the 3D cursor (and F5 will make it fill across the full window). Now, the first 2 points-to-be-set has to capture all the points-to-be-moved in a 3D rubber band box. So, it doesn't matter which windows the points are set in but you may need 2 ortho windows (Top and Front-or-Side) and a 3D window to visually confirm the 3d rubber band box encompasses all the points-to-be-moved.

Lar
ps:
1] F5 is a toggle so it flips between a cursor that fills the window and one that doesn't.
2] The Stretch command completely ignores Ortho Mode (H).
3] If using the method described by Phil above remember that certain Elements won't get move, such as dimensions and multi-lne text.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:14:27 AM by Lar »

rccon

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
Thanks, guys, The f5 toggle solves the problem of losing track of the cursor, and I'm glad to be reminded of moving multiple points in point select mode.