Author Topic: Reloading DesignCAD  (Read 287 times)

hepcat

Reloading DesignCAD
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
At present I am using DesignCAD3Dmaxv18 installed 2009 I think.
I may have a problem in that the program wants to print a drawing in ,say, 3 panels when I think it only needs two. However that really just leads me to my thought that I would try reloading the program. I have the disks and paperwork just as they arrived still in the box.  The instructions were to insert the disk and run it, then to register at www.designcad.com. A sixteen digit Activation key was given, then 1. Start DesignCAD3Dmax18 boxed
2.Type Activation code into Activation Code field in the dialog box.

My question, is it sensible to reload the program and do the instructions and Activation Code still apply?
John Barker

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Reloading DesignCAD
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 01:29:17 PM »
If it runs, there should be no need to reload from scratch.

There are procedures posted on the forum here to reset to factory defaults

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=1961.msg10161#msg10161

However, my personal suggestion - if you are using the program much, you might seriously look at a more recent version.   V18 was not known to be one of Designcads finest moments  :)

Many things have improved, many bugs have been fixed, basics are pretty much exactly the same, so no learning curve, really worthwhile.

Free trial available on the website.  And they STILL offer the $50 upgrade from V18!!!

https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/designcad-3d-max-2016-upgrade-from-v18-v25.html

User since Pro-design

hepcat

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 03:56:43 AM »
Rob,
Thank you for your very prompt and helpful reply.  I was just thinking that I have been using DesignCAD for 25, possibly 30, years. It started with a free trial disk stuck on the front of a computer magazine back in those remarkable days when there  half a dozen mags every month explaining how to do 'bubble sorts'.  I was a draughtsman from leaving school until 65 and I don't ever remember  being dissatisfied with DesignCAD and as I am also a model aircraft builder it is never out of use. So as I was 90 a couple of months ago I thought I would take your main advice and update to the latest version.  I shall report back on whether it clears the print problem.
John

hepcat

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:13:58 AM »
Rob,
Sorry to bother you again.  i said last time that I would take up the offer to upgrade my v18 to v25.
I clicked buttons last Friday and again yesterday to try to initiate that and finally got a response this morning. I followed instructions giving my email and a password and was told I now had an account.  I was given a long address to click which took me to a help line, obviously for people with problems about running a CAD
program but no way of making progress on buying the upgrade.  Is there a telephone number (preferably in England) where I might be able to make some progress?
John

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »
Sorry to hear that, however a bit beyond my scope.  There have been other reports of IMSI Designcad website non functional recently.

Hopefully our resident GURU, aka Mr D. Troll, will chime in here

He has the necessary connections to deal with these things!!!
User since Pro-design

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »
Sorry, we don't have a number in the UK. I will ask someone in sales to contact you by email to help you complete your purchase.

DT
25 years with DesignCAD

hepcat

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:50:14 AM »
If it was you DT, 'Thank You'. I was emailed by Mr Bruce Phinney, Direct Sales Supervisor, in the US.  He was most helpful and initiated the route for me.  I was amazed to find that that route was through  a TurboCAD advertisement in 'Facebook'. (From earlier brief looks at Facebook I thought it was just for families exchanging photographs of their latest babies.)  Anyway thanks to all those who helped me through several days of miserable confusion I now have an update on its way.
John

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:58:24 AM »
Yes, Bruce is a great guy. Thanks for sticking it out, John, and giving us the chance to help you over the hump.
25 years with DesignCAD