Author Topic: Layers  (Read 205 times)

mrouth

Layers
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »
How do I move entities between layers?  Version 25.2

Dr PR

Re: Layers
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
The first time I used DesignCAD (ProDesign back then) I was also stumped how to move objects between layers. There was no "Move Layers" command. However, I learned there are two ways to move entities between layers.

Method A:

1. Select the object - place the cursor over it and left or right click.
2. Open the Info Box (CTRL I).
3. At the very top of the dialog is a field with the layer number and name (if any). On the right hand side is a down arrow button.
4. Click the button and a pop-down window opens with a list of layers. A scroll bar at the right side allows you to scroll down through all layers.
5. Scroll down to the layer you want to move the selected object to.
6. Click on the selected layer. The pop-down window closes and the newly selected layer appears in the layer field.
7. Close the info box.

Get used to using the Info Box. Unlike other programs with a plethora of commands to manipulate objects, almost everything is done from the Info Box in DesignCAD. It is VERY handy - sort of a one-stop shopping center for object manipulation.

Method B: The other way to move objects to different layers uses the Layers Toolbox. For this to work you must have the Layers Toolbox visible. To do this use "Options/Options" (the Q key) to open the "Options" dialog. Select the "View" tab and click the box to the left of "Layer Toolbox" - be sure an "X" appears in this box. Then close the "Options" dialog.

To move an object to a new layer:

1. Click the down arrow at the right of the layer field in the "Layers Toolbox." This opens a pop-down list of layers.
2. Click on the layer you want to move the object to - this makes that layer the new "active" layer where further editing will occur.
3. Select the object you want to move.
4. Click on the "A+" (Apply Layer To Selection) button in the "Layers Toolbar."

This moves the selected object to the current active layer. Of course, if you are already working in the layer you want to move the object to all you need to do is select the object and click the "A+" button.

The Method A works without changing the active editing layer. Method B is a bit quicker but changes the active layer.

Phil
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:05:29 AM by Dr PR »
DesignCAD user since 1987

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 02:52:49 AM »
A simple command-line macro to change the current layer or change the layer of selected entities:

Code: [Select]
'Program l.d3m 
'command line version
'Enter on the command line: L <layer number>
'If nothing is selected, it changes the current layer
'If entities are selected, it changes the layers of the entities to the command line argument

dim entlist(12000)

layy$=sys$(0)
if layy$ = "" then input "Enter layer number: ", layy$
dest = val(layy$)

if sys(80)=0 then
layer(dest)=14
end
else
end if

nsel = sys(80)
for j = 1 to nsel
getselect j, entlist(j)
next j
sys(80)=0

for j = 1 to nsel
getattr entlist(j), type, select, laynum, grp, red, green, blue
putattr entlist(j), type, 0, dest, grp, red, green, blue
next j

close 1

END:

mrouth

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »
Thank you gentlemen, I will give it a try.  I also started with ProDesign back in the 80's with a IBM 8088 computer.  Designcad has served me well over the years.