Author Topic: Printing large format  (Read 181 times)

rchathamk

Printing large format
« on: May 11, 2017, 06:42:54 AM »
I am having trouble printing large enough text on a 24" X 36" paper.  I have designCad V.25. I want to be able to see what it looks like before taking it to Staples to have it printed.  Help, Please

Ric

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Printing large format
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »
What exactly kind of trouble are you having? 

Do you have a specific large format printer for your test prints, if so what model?

One good way to produce test prints if to print to a pdf driver such as acrobat, cute, or foxit, and then view at 100% onscreen.

If you are trying to print to pdf, sometimes it helps to reduce the resolution under printer properties (sometimes it is set at 4000x4000 by default, 600x600 is plenty.

Anyway, I am wildly guessing, as I don't know exactly what your problem is.

User since Pro-design

rchathamk

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »
No I just have a small printer I download it on a memory stick and take it to Staples for them to print the 24 X 36.  I would like to see the drawing & text before I do without zooming it.  The biggest problem I have I am not a expert. I appreciate the quick response.  Thanks Ric

Rob S

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:48:08 AM »
So, then I suggest trying a pdf printer driver, one of the ones mentioned above.   If you don't have one, Cute Pdf or Foxit are free downloads.

Make sure under properties it is set to a 24x36 paper size, and print your drawing.

What you see on the pdf at 100% should be exactly what you see at staples.

In fact, you take them the pdf file for them to print from.

Let us know if that works for you.
User since Pro-design

REF

• Home Builder for 41 yrs, over 19,800 Dcad Drawings
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:56:08 AM »
You can print full scale using Panels in the Print Command.
DesignCAD user since 1990

rchathamk

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:12:41 AM »
Thanks for all your help I will try those suggestions.  Ric

rchathamk

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 08:42:08 AM »
I have acrobat XI and cannot find where to reduce the resolution under printer properties and there is no full scale in Panels in the print command.  Thanks Ric

Rob S

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
If you set the desired scale in Designcad under print, and the area tab, and then hit preview, it will show you how many panels it takes at your paper size to print your entire drawing.

From the preview window, you can select which panels to print, as in maybe just one of them to see what it looks like.

I have acrobat 9, it might be similar.

From the Designcad print dialog, go setup, printer, select adobe pdf, and go properties, and in the resulting "adobe pdf document properties" dialog under the "paper/quality tab, go advanced, and you should see the "graphic print quality" about halfway down.

You need the full version of acrobat (not just the reader) to get the adobe pdf printer driver.
User since Pro-design

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:51:41 AM »
"Full Scale" in DesignCAD means a scale of 1.0, or 1:1 in the scale drop list on the 'Area' tab of the Print command.

Note that you'll have to uncheck 'Fit to Paper' to change the scale values. See attached image:
2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

Acuna

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 08:16:52 AM »
"Full Scale" in DesignCAD means a scale of 1.0, or 1:1 in the scale drop list on the 'Area' tab of the Print command.

Note that you'll have to uncheck 'Fit to Paper' to change the scale values. See attached image:

Awesome, thanks Droll I had no idea you could do that.