Author Topic: How to measure distance between two objects?  (Read 408 times)

karlperry

How to measure distance between two objects?
« on: February 12, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »
Sorry for posting in wrong forum. Please move to Questions.

Hi, new to DesignCAD. I have v22. Have tried to learn this several times since buying it in 2011 and I just cannot seem to get it ... but now I have a bunch of projects and I really, really need to learn this tool.

How do I measure the distance between two objects, such that the distance constantly displays on my screen, and such that if I move one of the objects the distance updates as I move?

Use case: I need to draw two walls parallel. I want to measure the distance between the facing sides, and if I move one of the walls further from or closer to the other wall I want the distance to update.

I've looked in the DesignCAD help and at all of the dimension- and measure-related topics but I find nothing that allows me to "lock" a measurement line to two items.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:57:41 PM by karlperry »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: How to measure distance between two objects?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:52:23 PM »
The best way to establish the distance visually is to simply draw a dimension. 

For example for two walls going horizontally, start the dimension command, in the popup dialog, select y-axis, and enter to return focus to the drawing, then move cursor near the one face and linesnap (shortcut "K") and same for the other face, and then a third point for where the text should be.

Unfortunately, a distance-between dimension is not associative, so the simple act of moving the wall does not update the dimension.

You need to manually move the endpoint of the dimension extension line and snap it back onto the line of the wall.

Best way to do that is to work in point-select mode, and just click on the end-point, and then linesnap (shortcut "K") to the new location of the wall.

If you move the wal using the "stretch" command, then the dimension will move with it and update automatically.

Please let me know if any of that is not clear, and I can explain further.
User since Pro-design

karlperry

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
Thanks, this is clear. The short K key is nice.

Would the stretch command on one wall segment make it go further from or closer to the other segment, or simply make it longer?

Rob S

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:31:39 AM »
You can stretch in any direction.

First two points define s a rectangle which must enclose all the points to be moved, the third and fourth points define distance and direction to move them.
User since Pro-design

karlperry

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:46:13 AM »
I see I didn't ask my question very well.

To me, the word "stretch" means "make bigger in one direction." Key word there being bigger. My question is specifically how to be able to move, not stretch, a line and at the same time make a measurement line move with it. If stretch in the DesignCAD world has this connotation rather than/in addition to "make bigger" then just let me know.

Thinking about this last night, another solution is for me to draw a reference line or rectangle which is the size of the distance between, then snap my wall segments to the edges of the reference object. This might actually be more efficient.

Rob S

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 08:14:00 AM »
I often find that to test a new command or theory of how to do stuff, I just create a new blank drawing, quickly draw freehand a few lines or boxes or dimensions, and then play with the command to see how it works under various conditions.

Once you get the feel for it, then you can confidently try it in a real drawing
User since Pro-design